Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

dougkapp
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Re: Guitar Man - The Sessions 1967-68 New FTD Set. Summer 2024

Post by dougkapp »

londonflash wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:24 pm
Some Danish dealers have their stock.
I only know Memphis Mansion, are there any other Danish dealers?

londonflash
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by londonflash »

dougkapp wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:05 pm
londonflash wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:24 pm
Some Danish dealers have their stock.
I only know Memphis Mansion, are there any other Danish dealers?
Not sure, I just saw a post when idly browsing Facebook earlier.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

elvisfan51
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by elvisfan51 »

steve in sc4 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:41 am
It will eventually be released I am sure. Graceland still showing a ship date of Aug.9th. No way that is happening.
Graceland shipped the last sessions set before the European dealers did!

GoodVibrations
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by GoodVibrations »

Bear Family has just started shipping.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Sadly its been edited a lot…..dialogue between songs but also in songs the bad language have been edited out.
I guess this was to be expected.

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:44 pm
Sadly its been edited a lot…..dialogue between songs but also in songs the bad language have been edited out.
Expected yes. Appreciated no.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
That's a bummer and nice whitewashing of history.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:34 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
That's a bummer and nice whitewashing of history.
It sure is.
We all knew that Wings Of An Angel wouldnt be included (and thats fine by me) other than a brief sample(?) and although I dont have this yet
im very very disappointed that this seems to be heavy edited ….just not a little as I expected.
One thing is dialogue between song another thing is the bad words in songs :(
(Source regarding editing= FB posts)

draig goch
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by draig goch »

LSP-4445 wrote:
That's fine by me. We all know there is bad language in the recording sessions, heard it countless of times on bootlegs. Much more interested in the music and to me doesn't add anything at all. Regarding wings played it 30 odd years ago never bothered since. Looking forward to this great looking set.

Lee Wood
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by Lee Wood »

LSP-4445 wrote:
That is highly disappointing. What a shame that we're being treated like children.

dougkapp
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dougkapp »

I think inappropriate language can be edited out without any problems. I'm not sure, but it seems that even the musicians who took part in the recordings have spoken out about it, that they think it's an invasion of privacy and they feel embarrassed.

Topic author
emjel
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by emjel »

They could have put a sticker on the sleeve stating that the sessions include some language people may find offensive. I’ve seen plenty of releases that carry such warnings. And some of the crap rap recordings that escape certainly don’t hold back on the language/lyrics used. Seems like after nearly 50 years, they’re still trying to protect Elvis’ image as being a wholesome image.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

emjel wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:46 pm
They could have put a sticker on the sleeve stating that the sessions include some language people may find offensive. I’ve seen plenty of releases that carry such warnings. And some of the crap rap recordings that escape certainly don’t hold back on the language/lyrics used. Seems like after nearly 50 years, they’re still trying to protect Elvis’ image as being a wholesome image.
Its expected that things like rap music contains rough language but not for Elvis.
Im thinking that if a warning sticker (?) was to be on the FTD release that will just add more attention (?)
to the bad language.....maybe even outside the fan base.(?)
I could very well be completely wrong here :mrgreen:

joeroberts
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by joeroberts »

Actually, the record company owes it to everybody to not put money into making new copies of a dead star referring to the casual racism of his time. Literally, they could burn the strip of tape it exists on. It is literally garbage.

javilu
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by javilu »

Gee, thank you FTD for protecting the 2000 sixty-five year old fans who will buy the set from hearing Elvis' cursing. That might change their image of Elvis completely!

Surely the FTD buyers have no idea Elvis was human and cursed in the studio?

Just in case, they can also add one of this to the sets.

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:22 pm
emjel wrote:
Its expected that things like rap music contains rough language but not for Elvis.
Im thinking that if a warning sticker (?) was to be on the FTD release that will just add more attention (?)
FTD releases are not really bought by those outside of the collector fanbase because they have never heard of FTD. The fact that these recordings have been around for the last 30 years and the language used is pretty common knowledge to collectors seems like an odd decision to edit the language out on a collectors release. If it was a mainstream release, then I could understand it. But we now live in a world where we get warning messages on the Blu-Ray release of the original Flintstone Series from the mid 60s where it seems, people may find the language and scenes objectionable, so if they heard Elvis coming out with such language/lyrics, no doubt they’d have a heart attack from the shock/horror.

~

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

javilu wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:08 pm
Gee, thank you FTD for protecting the 2000 sixty-five year old fans who will buy the set from hearing Elvis' cursing. That might change their image of Elvis completely!

Indeed - who do they think they are protecting - the thousands of collectors who already know about these lyrics. Or perhaps FTD think Elvis fans, especially collectors, are still living in the bubble world of Elvis as seen in the movies in the 60s - the clean cut wholesome guy we were presented with courtesy of Hollywood.

I guess it’s safe to assume that FTD will never release Desert Storm’ 74 in the near future. But as it’s a 1974 show, maybe MRS will produce a stereo version next year for fans who never obtained the bootleg.

~

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Ah, you f***ed up FTD !!!

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by Lee Wood »

emjel wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:15 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
emjel wrote:
FTD releases are not really bought by those outside of the collector fanbase because they have never heard of FTD. The fact that these recordings have been around for the last 30 years and the language used is pretty common knowledge to collectors seems like an odd decision to edit the language out on a collectors release. If it was a mainstream release, then I could understand it. But we now live in a world where we get warning messages on the Blu-Ray release of the original Flintstone Series from the mid 60s where it seems, people may find the language and scenes objectionable, so if they heard Elvis coming out with such language/lyrics, no doubt they’d have a heart attack from the shock/horror.
I think there's an outtake, maybe on Blue Hawaii, where Elvis burps. I heard it years ago and I've never got over it.

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

Lee Wood wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:39 pm
emjel wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
emjel wrote:
I think there's an outtake, maybe on Blue Hawaii, where Elvis burps. I heard it years ago and I've never got over it.
With such a shock like that, I’m surprised you’re still a fan. :wink:

~

javilu
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by javilu »

emjel wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:20 pm
javilu wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:08 pm

Indeed - who do they think they are protecting - the thousands of collectors who already know about these lyrics. Or perhaps FTD think Elvis fans, especially collectors, are still living in the bubble world of Elvis as seen in the movies in the 60s - the clean cut wholesome guy we were presented with courtesy of Hollywood.

I guess it’s safe to assume that FTD will never release Desert Storm’ 74 in the near future. But as it’s a 1974 show, maybe MRS will produce a stereo version next year for fans who never obtained the bootleg.
Let's face it. No normal person would spend 70 USD on a CD set with 30 takes of songs from Stay Away Joe. Whoever buys this, knows exactly what these sessions were like. This is not a general release where Joe Public might bump into the FTD at a Walmart and pick it up thinking they will hear "Hound Dog" and "Burning Love" and be shocked at listening at Elvis language while recording take 148 of "Goin' Home".

Most people just don't buy CDs anymore. And I don't think FTD manufactures more than a couple thousand of these session sets.

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Elvis was a godlike and never did anything wrong during his entire life...Now leave him alone :D

LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

emjel wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
emjel wrote:
There were some talk in the media when the Desert Storm show was released on bootleg in the 90s.
IMO the main reason why FTD wont release this...and other... uncensored is that they are afraid the media
somehow would make a story about it.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by pmp »

OK, I'll shock everyone by saying that I'm on FTD's side regarding this. I would imagine that they think that many of their customers are in the older age range, and, in many cases, it's that age group that are more turned off by swearing.

Beyond that, though, I don't see why it's a big deal to decide on a policy that makes such releases "family friendly." Are people really that bothered about hearing Elvis swearing and making general off-colour remarks in what he thought was a private setting? It seems odd to me that people find this editing of between takes dialogue problematic or surprising - especially when it's not even singing that's involved.

I have a bit more sympathy for buyers when it comes to words being edited out of songs. The musical sections should, I guess, be as complete as possible (particularly in these "complete sessions" sets) - but, again, it was done in a private setting, not on stage. There was never any suggestion at the time of recording that those outtakes (or dialogue) would be made available to the general public. That said, I'm pretty sure that there's in-song swearing on other releases. Isn't there a MF on Got My Mojo Working?

The best way around it would have been to have made a statement about such edits when the release was announced. Quite why FTD can't get it's arse in gear regarding such simple things, I'm not sure.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.