Guitar Man - The Sessions 1967-68 New FTD Set. Summer 2024

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Guitar Man - The Sessions 1967-68 New FTD Set. Summer 2024

Post by Johnny2523 »

Let's also not forget the dialogue that was removed from the from sunset to vegas 2cd, causing a 2nd pressing with it removed

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
emjel
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by emjel »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:32 am
emjel wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:15 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:22 pm
emjel wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:46 pm
They could have put a sticker on the sleeve stating that the sessions include some language people may find offensive. I’ve seen plenty of releases that carry such warnings. And some of the crap rap recordings that escape certainly don’t hold back on the language/lyrics used. Seems like after nearly 50 years, they’re still trying to protect Elvis’ image as being a wholesome image.
Its expected that things like rap music contains rough language but not for Elvis.
Im thinking that if a warning sticker (?) was to be on the FTD release that will just add more attention (?)
to the bad language.....maybe even outside the fan base.(?)
I could very well be completely wrong here :mrgreen:
FTD releases are not really bought by those outside of the collector fanbase because they have never heard of FTD. The fact that these recordings have been around for the last 30 years and the language used is pretty common knowledge to collectors seems like an odd decision to edit the language out on a collectors release. If it was a mainstream release, then I could understand it. But we now live in a world where we get warning messages on the Blu-Ray release of the original Flintstone Series from the mid 60s where it seems, people may find the language and scenes objectionable, so if they heard Elvis coming out with such language/lyrics, no doubt they’d have a heart attack from the shock/horror.
There were some talk in the media when the Desert Storm show was released on bootleg in the 90s.
IMO the main reason why FTD wont release this...and other... uncensored is that they are afraid the media
somehow would make a story about it.
That’s why I said that I assume FTD won’t release it, but MRS could if they felt inclined. The reality is that the story is already out there. A couple of thousand people who were at the show witnessed it. If anyone wants to dig it up now and make a story about it, it’s all there - nothing to hide or suggest that it did not happen.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Regarding "Desert Storm" or "Man In The Moon": just check out YouTube - SURPRISE! IT'S THERE! SEVERAL TIMES!!!
These days nobody cares two hoots about it - except maybe some individuals that release faulty products on a collector's label that promises us complete sessions.
My boy, my boy...

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

A friend of mine, (who isn’t particularly a huge fan/collector) is aware of FTD and buys the occasional release, knows about the whole, Wings of an Angel thing and told me he believes Elvis was referring to an actual raccoon!!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

steve in sc4
Registered for: 9 months

Post by steve in sc4 »

Back on subject, will this be out by Christmas? 🤣🤣🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

steve in sc4 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:47 am
Back on subject, will this be out by Christmas? 🤣🤣🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
I believe so too that Elvis actually sang about a raccoon. We all know he wasn't a racist.

Steve, several dealers already have it in stock (Denmark, Germany for example) and already started shipping. So some folks might receive it (with a little luck) probably even today or come next week :D

For a little company
There's always me

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by ORION »

This set of "sessions" have been on my list for being released since the series started. As far as "The Prisoner's Song", I could care less if it makes the set. It's definitely not a song that would not warrant repeated plays in my house unlike many of the others on this set. However, I do find it odd in light of the comment below that anyone on here definitively knows if it has been left off of the set. No one has shown images of receiving the set - which usually happens on here or YouTube within hours of the parcel arriving - or laid claim to hearing the set.

several dealers already have it in stock (Denmark, Germany for example) and already started shipping. So some folks might receive it (with a little luck) probably even today or come next week

I guess we'll all know sooner than later. However, I am sure that it will be at least mid-month before I hear it from my own speakers. Coincidentally, I predicted on one of these threads that it wouldn't be released until mid-August (for whatever delay reason was used) when it was announced back in the Spring. Good ol' FTD and their delays.. My Boy, My Boy.

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

ORION wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:49 pm
This set of "sessions" have been on my list for being released since the series started. As far as "The Prisoner's Song", I could care less if it makes the set. It's definitely not a song that would not warrant repeated plays in my house unlike many of the others on this set. However, I do find it odd in light of the comment below that anyone on here definitively knows if it has been left off of the set. No one has shown images of receiving the set - which usually happens on here or YouTube within hours of the parcel arriving - or laid claim to hearing the set.

several dealers already have it in stock (Denmark, Germany for example) and already started shipping. So some folks might receive it (with a little luck) probably even today or come next week

I guess we'll all know sooner than later. However, I am sure that it will be at least mid-month before I hear it from my own speakers. Coincidentally, I predicted on one of these threads that it wouldn't be released until mid-August (for whatever delay reason was used) when it was announced back in the Spring. Good ol' FTD and their delays.. My Boy, My Boy.

Source: https://elv75.blogspot.com/

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

I get that some of these tracks featured on the Clambake soundtrack album, but, man, again opting to use publicity shots from this movie seem so anachronistic in contrast to the majority of the material recorded.

The bravado ruggedness of Stay Away, Joe era shots have much more synergism.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

elvisalisellers wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:14 pm
I get that some of these tracks featured on the Clambake soundtrack album, but, man, again opting to use publicity shots from this movie seem so anachronistic in contrast to the majority of the material recorded.

It's fine they'll use Stay Away, Joe shots for the Clambake sessions set.

elvisalisellers

Elvis2000 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:56 pm
elvisalisellers wrote:

It's fine they'll use Stay Away, Joe shots for the Clambake sessions set.
Ha ha!

GaryP
Registered for: 6 years

Post by GaryP »

Lee Wood wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:39 pm
emjel wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
emjel wrote:
They could have put a sticker on the sleeve stating that the sessions include some language people may find offensive. I’ve seen plenty of releases that carry such warnings. And some of the crap rap recordings that escape certainly don’t hold back on the language/lyrics used. Seems like after nearly 50 years, they’re still trying to protect Elvis’ image as being a wholesome image.
Its expected that things like rap music contains rough language but not for Elvis.
Im thinking that if a warning sticker (?) was to be on the FTD release that will just add more attention (?)
FTD releases are not really bought by those outside of the collector fanbase because they have never heard of FTD. The fact that these recordings have been around for the last 30 years and the language used is pretty common knowledge to collectors seems like an odd decision to edit the language out on a collectors release. If it was a mainstream release, then I could understand it. But we now live in a world where we get warning messages on the Blu-Ray release of the original Flintstone Series from the mid 60s where it seems, people may find the language and scenes objectionable, so if they heard Elvis coming out with such language/lyrics, no doubt they’d have a heart attack from the shock/horror.
I think there's an outtake, maybe on Blue Hawaii, where Elvis burps. I heard it years ago and I've never got over it.
Have you considered counselling?

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by Lee Wood »

GaryP wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:31 pm
Lee Wood wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:39 pm
emjel wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
emjel wrote:
I think there's an outtake, maybe on Blue Hawaii, where Elvis burps. I heard it years ago and I've never got over it.
Have you considered counselling?
Yeah, I told the counsellor who in turn had to see his counsellor.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

@elvisalisellers I think you could take care of the "The Guitar Man Sessions" FTD set soon and restore it.
Or do you want to do the "Memphis" set first?

For a little company
There's always me

elvisalisellers

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:54 pm
@elvisalisellers I think you could take care of the "The Guitar Man Sessions" FTD set soon and restore it.
Or do you want to do the "Memphis" set first?
Yes, it shouldn't be too difficult to seamlessly restore the ridiculously censored vocal parts; although, from memory, some of the booted material is clearly a few generations removed from the original session tapes and may even be missing various bits.
That said, I don't have any plans.
I'm sure your goodself could do a good job on them.

Re. the "Memphis" set, I think another forum member may have something in mind for that in the future.
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:34 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:44 pm
Sadly its been edited a lot…..dialogue between songs but also in songs the bad language have been edited out.
I guess this was to be expected.

That's a bummer and nice whitewashing of history.

In the real world it is neither.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

emjel wrote:

The forum's resident expert on hip hop checks in with a powerful and convincing analogy.

:smt005

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

javilu wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:08 pm
Gee, thank you FTD for protecting the 2000 sixty-five year old fans who will buy the set from hearing Elvis' cursing. That might change their image of Elvis completely!

Surely the FTD buyers have no idea Elvis was human and cursed in the studio?

Just in case, they can also add one of this to the sets.

Your opinions are so consistently superficial you should have your own place in the fool's hall of fame.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:47 am
Regarding "Desert Storm" or "Man In The Moon": just check out YouTube - SURPRISE! IT'S THERE! SEVERAL TIMES!!!
These days nobody cares two hoots about it - except maybe some individuals that release faulty products on a collector's label that promises us complete sessions.
My boy, my boy...

And there's no difference between some bonehead's YouTube upload and a MAJOR company producing, promoting and selling a product at retail.

Do any of you people live in the real world?

Ernst Jørgensen does. That's why he's been in charge for THREE DECADES.

Give it a try sometime.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

minkahed wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:05 am
A friend of mine, (who isn’t particularly a huge fan/collector) is aware of FTD and buys the occasional release, knows about the whole, Wings of an Angel thing and told me he believes Elvis was referring to an actual raccoon!!!

Bet he also believes the Earth is flat, the moon landing faked, and JFK Jr. still alive.

:wink:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
emjel
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by emjel »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:05 am
emjel wrote:

The forum's resident expert on hip hop checks in with a powerful and convincing analogy.

:smt005
But of course - I’d hate to disappoint someone like you. And as per usual, you’re missing the point.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

drjohncarpenter

elvisalisellers wrote:

It's all more than half a century ago, the entire thing is anachronistic.

Also, the majority of the material?

Nearly 65% of the title derives from September 1967.

"Clambake" PR photos were made late April 1967, just four and a half months out.
"Stay Away Joe" PR photos made late November 1967, about two and a half months out.

But more are found from a location session than from at the movie studio. And they aren't very good.

The "Clambake" portraits are plentiful and nice quality, that had to be a factor. And they more closely resemble the guy who went to Nashville that September.

'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 2:27 am
elvisalisellers wrote:

It's all more than half a century ago, the entire thing is anachronistic.

Also, the majority of the material?

Nearly 65% of the title derives from September 1967.

"Clambake" PR photos were made late April 1967, just four and a half months out.
"Stay Away Joe" PR photos made late November 1967, about two and a half months out.

But more are found from a location session than from at the movie studio. And they aren't very good.

The "Clambake" portraits are plentiful and nice quality, that had to be a factor. And they more closely resemble the guy who went to Nashville that September.

'
A very handsome fella I would say, wouldn’t you agree? 👍

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

philobeddo

Post by philobeddo »

Can somebody tell what exactly is left out? I read enough negative about all the above . Are just the swearing parts and racism part edited out or also chat between Jerry Reed and the musicians?

And are there any musical edits? I can imagine that Goin’ Home has some edits.

"Right turn Clyde"

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by vinelvis »

Too bad it's edited. Are there any real outtakes or false starts missing or is it just that one song and some banter?