LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Re: Guitar Man - The Sessions 1967-68 New FTD Set. Summer 2024

Post by LSP-4445 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:32 pm
philobeddo wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:59 am
Can somebody tell what exactly is left out? I read enough negative about all the above . Are just the swearing parts and racism part edited out or also chat between Jerry Reed and the musicians?

And are there any musical edits? I can imagine that Goin’ Home has some edits.
From what I've heard, Elvis is muted when it comes to "a**hole", "sh*t" and such ("Goin' Home", Take 5). Feels like going back about three decades, when they released the edited rehearsal of "Stranger In My Own Home Town" :wink:
🙄 I hope you have heard wrong.
Are suddenly "sh*t" so bad that it has to be censored :(
We have had a lot of this and a lot ´worse´ as late as on the From Elvis In Nashville release in 2020….and even later on FTD.
And lets not forget that this was a general public release not FTD……

jayoface
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by jayoface »

....indeed and the Fun In Acapulco Sessions set had the "but Pedro just wanted to f***" Bullfighter Was A Lady outtake that was uncensored as well. There is plenty of precedent for swearing I don't get the sensitivity all of the sudden either.

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by vinelvis »

frus75 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:02 pm
I think we should get over with the “in the 80’s there was just an occasional outtake, so we should be grateful”, because it’s a bit like saying, hey 100 years ago people worked for 927391279 hours a day so we should be grateful to work 7-8. Just because things were worse or a mess 20-30-40 years ago doesn’t mean we shouldn’t keep wanting things to go better and better.
Well said. I like the session sets and I'm grateful for FTD. But that doesn't mean they can do anything they want with the material. That said I already know I'm gonna buy it anyway :lol:

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:05 pm
luckyjackson1 wrote:
philobeddo wrote:
Can somebody tell what exactly is left out? I read enough negative about all the above . Are just the swearing parts and racism part edited out or also chat between Jerry Reed and the musicians?

From what I've heard, Elvis is muted when it comes to "a**hole", "sh*t" and such ("Goin' Home", Take 5). Feels like going back about three decades, when they released the edited rehearsal of "Stranger In My Own Home Town" :wink:
We have had a lot of this and a lot ´worse´ as late as on the From Elvis In Nashville release in 2020….and even later on FTD.
Not heard wrong, i have the uncensored version that was released from a poor acetate source many years ago. The lines "and be about as wild as he wants to be he feels like sh*t and shouting" and "where the days are hot the nights are cold the dessert sand in your as*hole" have been muted. Apparantly both those words are censorworthy in 2024.

But "he wanted to f*ck her that night" on the fun in alcapulco sessions wasnt bad enough to mute on the bullfighter was a lady.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

strutmut
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by strutmut »

Strange idea that sh*t and **** is such a bad word in a country where people can buy guns like candy... (let's see if this post will be posted and how many people I offend with it).

It's just Elvis and it is history as it is. They should not edit anything out. And we all know Elvis wasn't a racist at all!

Was 'Rags to riches" also edited? Take number 2 (I think). You can hear Elvis's voice mutes for a moment. '

strutmut
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by strutmut »

strutmut wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:51 pm
Strange idea that sh*t and **** is such a bad word in a country where people can buy guns like candy... (let's see if this post will be posted and how many people I offend with it).

It's just Elvis and it is history as it is. They should not edit anything out. And we all know Elvis wasn't a racist at all!

Was 'Rags to riches" also edited? Take number 2 (I think). You can hear Elvis's voice mutes for a moment. '
I did not post the **** :rofl:

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:05 pm
luckyjackson1 wrote:
philobeddo wrote:

No, I haven't. Sorry to say.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

steve in sc4
Registered for: 9 months

Post by steve in sc4 »

I have no desire to listen to Elvis use profanity or anyone else for that matter. :smt006

Topic author
emjel
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by emjel »

steve in sc4 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:05 am
I have no desire to listen to Elvis use profanity or anyone else for that matter. :smt006
You could always hit the "skip" button or simply make a copy and edit the offending bits out. But now someone else has made the decision for the fans who do not have a problem with hearing that kind of thing - They accept it for what it is - as part of the Elvis story and kind of shows Elvis’ frustrations in the recording studio. . But now, they don’t get to make that choice because someone has made it for them.
The reality is that we are talking about 2024 where nearly every movie has swear words occurring - it seems that people these days use profanity in nearly every situation in the home and as previously mentioned, the lyrics on some records these days contain some truly bizarre wording. Plus the fact that this release is on a collectors label and not mainstream and is only likely to sell a few thousand copies worldwide (probably less copies than the bootlegs sold where the recordings could originally be found decades ago) so is extremely unlikely to create any furore or shock at all.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

K.C.
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by K.C. »

emjel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:27 am
steve in sc4 wrote:
You could always hit the "skip" button or simply make a copy and edit the offending bits out. But now someone else has made the decision for the fans who do not have a problem with hearing that kind of thing - They accept it for what it is - as part of the Elvis story and kind of shows Elvis’ frustrations in the recording studio. . But now, they don’t get to make that choice because someone has made it for them.
The reality is that we are talking about 2024 where nearly every movie has swear words occurring - it seems that people these days use profanity in nearly every situation in the home and as previously mentioned, the lyrics on some records these days contain some truly bizarre wording. Plus the fact that this release is on a collectors label and not mainstream and is only likely to sell a few thousand copies worldwide (probably less copies than the bootlegs sold where the recordings could originally be found decades ago) so is extremely unlikely to create any furore or shock at all.
Although I prefer to listen to the unedited tapes as a fan, I also think it is decent to Elvis and the musicians that what they said in private remains in private. A record company has a responsibility its employees.

Providing Daily Elvis Updates since 1999.
Your daily Elvis News Blog: http://www.ElvisDayByDay.com
Elvis Day By Day Yearbooks available https://www.poplartunes.com

RKSNASHVILLE
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

K.C. Wrote:
Although I prefer to listen to the unedited tapes as a fan, I also think it is decent to Elvis and the musicians that what they said in private remains in private. A record company has a responsibility its employees.

If that had been the policy all along, then I would agree. But it hasn’t. Sony and FTD have released material with Elvis saying much worse, including on mainstream releases. Why the change now? Especially on the so called “collectors” label?

The thing is, FTD knows people will buy it anyway.

RKS

K.C.
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by K.C. »

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:44 am
K.C. Wrote:

If that had been the policy all along, then I would agree. But it hasn’t. Sony and FTD have released material with Elvis saying much worse, including on mainstream releases. Why the change now? Especially on the so called “collectors” label?

The thing is, FTD knows people will buy it anyway.

RKS

I didn't say the record company / FTD has always been consequent :-)

Providing Daily Elvis Updates since 1999.
Your daily Elvis News Blog: http://www.ElvisDayByDay.com
Elvis Day By Day Yearbooks available https://www.poplartunes.com

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

After all, he wasn't a saint or an angel (and he didn't have wings too :grin: ). He was only a human being - and yes, during these sessions his frustration, that had been building up all these years, clearly showed.
PLUS the upcoming birth of his first and only child.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

K.C. wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:14 am
emjel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:27 am
steve in sc4 wrote:
How does that work with all the records that come out with rather unsavoury lyrics then? I mean this is 2024 and not 1968.

26 years ago, people could hear such delightful lyrics as these

And if you got a daughter older than 15,
I’mma rape her/Take her on the living room floor,
right there in front of you
Then ask you seriously, what you wanna do?…
Now watch me **** just a lil' while longer, please, will you
?"

The album that contained these lyrics has sold nearly 5.2 million copies and topped the Billboard chart. It was released by DefJam, a subsidiary of a record company called….ah yes, Universal Music.

I cannot recall hearing about any detrimental effect on its employees back then. And this was just one of many examples I could give. People just aren’t so easy offended these days and as this is not even going into mainstream, I really don’t see what the problem is.
Last edited by emjel on Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~

nod3million
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by nod3million »

It’s amazing how Elvis is censored for hardly anything. Anyone listen to some of the lyrics rappers use?

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

nod3million wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:37 pm
It’s amazing how Elvis is censored for hardly anything. Anyone listen to some of the lyrics rappers use?
See my post above yours for an example.

~

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

Do you think the fans have been cornholed?

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

philobeddo

Post by philobeddo »

So far no hard facts or review what is in or out. Nothing convincing just only i read or i heard that ..;.
We'll wait, time will tell.

Btw, the prisoners song is not the big issue . they can leave that out on my part. Elvis had no intention to record that song anyway, it's something that came up like many other short pieces of songs during sessions. I hope the dialogues between the songs are in tact and edited to a minimum. We had more bad language on other official releases in past.

"Right turn Clyde"

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

elvisarsenal wrote back in May:
elvisarsenal wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 12:14 pm
I have just read on another site that there is no censorship on this forthcoming set and the Prisoner song is included

Well, we now know whoever that source was wrong. :shock:

RKS

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Rob »

Jim Dandy wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:47 pm
Do you think the fans have been cornholed?
Jim!

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 2:27 am
elvisalisellers wrote: ↑Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:14 pm
I get that some of these tracks featured on the Clambake soundtrack album, but, man, again opting to use publicity shots from this movie seem so anachronistic in contrast to the majority of the material recorded.

The bravado ruggedness of Stay Away, Joe era shots have much more synergism.

It's all more than half a century ago, the entire thing is anachronistic.

Also, the majority of the material?

Nearly 65% of the title derives from September 1967.

"Clambake" PR photos were made late April 1967, just four and a half months out.
"Stay Away Joe" PR photos made late November 1967, about two and a half months out.

But more are found from a location session than from at the movie studio. And they aren't very good.

The "Clambake" portraits are plentiful and nice quality, that had to be a factor. And they more closely resemble the guy who went to Nashville that September.

Wouldn't photos from the "Speedway" movie (which are plentiful and in great quality) done in June of 1967 (closer to the September sessions) be a closer representation of what Elvis looked like in September? Maybe there's more of those inside the booklet.

RKS

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

I think the censoring is ridiculous and it makes Elvis and the others sound stupid for laughing for no apparant reason.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Rob »

Sometimes people see me laugh for no apparent reason.

It usually happens when I talk to my friends that no one else can see.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:20 pm
Sometimes people see me laugh for no apparent reason.

It usually happens when I talk to my friends that no one else can see.
Rob drawing faces on balloons and putting them around you calling them friends don't count.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

To members who has this set….anthing censored here but that we got unedited previosly on older FTD releases? 🙄