emjel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:16 am
K.C. wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:14 am
emjel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:27 am
steve in sc4 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:05 am
I have no desire to listen to Elvis use profanity or anyone else for that matter. :smt006
You could always hit the "skip" button or simply make a copy and edit the offending bits out. But now someone else has made the decision for the fans who do not have a problem with hearing that kind of thing - They accept it for what it is - as part of the Elvis story and kind of shows Elvis’ frustrations in the recording studio. . But now, they don’t get to make that choice because someone has made it for them.
The reality is that we are talking about 2024 where nearly every movie has swear words occurring - it seems that people these days use profanity in nearly every situation in the home and as previously mentioned, the lyrics on some records these days contain some truly bizarre wording. Plus the fact that this release is on a collectors label and not mainstream and is only likely to sell a few thousand copies worldwide (probably less copies than the bootlegs sold where the recordings could originally be found decades ago) so is extremely unlikely to create any furore or shock at all.
Although I prefer to listen to the unedited tapes as a fan, I also think it is decent to Elvis and the musicians that what they said in private remains in private. A record company has a responsibility its employees.
How does that work with all the records that come out with rather unsavoury lyrics then? I mean this is 2024 and not 1968.

26 years ago, people could hear such delightful lyrics as these

And if you got a daughter older than 15,
I’mma rape her/Take her on the living room floor,
right there in front of you
Then ask you seriously, what you wanna do?…
Now watch me **** just a lil' while longer, please, will you
?"

The album that contained these lyrics has sold nearly 5.2 million copies and topped the Billboard chart. It was released by DefJam, a subsidiary of a record company called….ah yes, Universal Music.

I cannot recall hearing about any detrimental effect on its employees back then. And this was just one of many examples I could give. People just aren’t so easy offended these days and as this is not even going into mainstream, I really don’t see what the problem is.
I don't think you understand what I meant. I wasn't talking about certain texts, being tasteful or accepted by society back then or today. I was just stating that what Elvis said and the musicians said was done in private and not with rhe intention to be released, it is good if a record company honors that. Your example was recorded with the intention to be released.

Providing Daily Elvis Updates since 1999.
Your daily Elvis News Blog: http://www.ElvisDayByDay.com
Elvis Day By Day Yearbooks available https://www.poplartunes.com

Topic author
emjel
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Guitar Man - The Sessions 1967-68 New FTD Set. Summer 2024

Post by emjel »

K.C. wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:13 pm
emjel wrote:
K.C. wrote:
emjel wrote:
steve in sc4 wrote:
I have no desire to listen to Elvis use profanity or anyone else for that matter. :smt006
You could always hit the "skip" button or simply make a copy and edit the offending bits out. But now someone else has made the decision for the fans who do not have a problem with hearing that kind of thing - They accept it for what it is - as part of the Elvis story and kind of shows Elvis’ frustrations in the recording studio. . But now, they don’t get to make that choice because someone has made it for them.
The reality is that we are talking about 2024 where nearly every movie has swear words occurring - it seems that people these days use profanity in nearly every situation in the home and as previously mentioned, the lyrics on some records these days contain some truly bizarre wording. Plus the fact that this release is on a collectors label and not mainstream and is only likely to sell a few thousand copies worldwide (probably less copies than the bootlegs sold where the recordings could originally be found decades ago) so is extremely unlikely to create any furore or shock at all.
Although I prefer to listen to the unedited tapes as a fan, I also think it is decent to Elvis and the musicians that what they said in private remains in private. A record company has a responsibility its employees.
How does that work with all the records that come out with rather unsavoury lyrics then? I mean this is 2024 and not 1968.

?"

The album that contained these lyrics has sold nearly 5.2 million copies and topped the Billboard chart. It was released by DefJam, a subsidiary of a record company called….ah yes, Universal Music.

I cannot recall hearing about any detrimental effect on its employees back then. And this was just one of many examples I could give. People just aren’t so easy offended these days and as this is not even going into mainstream, I really don’t see what the problem is.
I don't think you understand what I meant. I wasn't talking about certain texts, being tasteful or accepted by society back then or today. I was just stating that what Elvis said and the musicians said was done in private and not with rhe intention to be released, it is good if a record company honors that. Your example was recorded with the intention to be released.
Well you could apply that to every release that FTD have put out where they contain outtakes. Elvis knew what he wanted released on record and what he didn’t - he even went as far as to say he didn’t want Dominic released at all, but we still got it. Did Elvis want any of his soundboard recordings released for scrutiny. Extremely doubtful but here we are. So if you’re using "it goes against Elvis’ wishes etc etc", as an acceptable argument, I’m not getting it.

As mentioned by others, FTD have released outtakes where language could be regarded as questionable yet done in private where we would assume was not expected to be released, but once again, it came out, so what makes this release up for special editing.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

javilu
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by javilu »

emjel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:08 pm

Well you could apply that to every release that FTD have put out where they contain outtakes. Elvis knew what he wanted released on record and what he didn’t - he even went as far as to say he didn’t want Dominic released at all, but we still got it. Did Elvis want any of his soundboard recordings released for scrutiny. Extremely doubtful but here we are. So if you’re using "it goes against Elvis’ wishes etc etc", as an acceptable argument, I’m not getting it.

As mentioned by others, FTD have released outtakes where language could be regarded as questionable yet done in private where we would assume was not expected to be released, but once again, it came out, so what makes this release up for special editing.
Going by what Elvis would have wanted is very silly. Elvis probably would not have wanted horrid soundboards where he does a horrible show released. And yet FTD gave us plenty of them. Would Elvis want for us to have complete sessions? Probably not, regardless of the language. Or perhaps he would not have cared. These recordings are of historic significance and censorship is ridiculous.

And all these comments like "Oh, Sony doesn't want to have Elvis on a limited fan club edition of a session tape from 60 years ago saying the words "sh*t" and "goddamn" are delusional or don't know how multibillion companies work. If it doesn't represent less revenue for them, they don't care.
As Ernst said "They get the checks from FTD once a year and that's it".

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

emjel wrote:
K.C. wrote:
emjel wrote:
K.C. wrote:
emjel wrote:
steve in sc4 wrote:

?"

Maybe it's really that way that it COULD be re-released one fine day in an (more) uncensored way. Wouldn't be the first time :smt003

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

K.C.
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by K.C. »

emjel wrote:
K.C. wrote:
emjel wrote:
K.C. wrote:
emjel wrote:
steve in sc4 wrote:

?"

As I stated above, I didn't say the record company was consequent in their editing.

Like you, I'd like to hear it all, but I just wanted to point out that there is more than one perspective.

Providing Daily Elvis Updates since 1999.
Your daily Elvis News Blog: http://www.ElvisDayByDay.com
Elvis Day By Day Yearbooks available https://www.poplartunes.com

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Dan_T »

I'm not happy this £60 collectors release has been censored. I passed on FTD's previous release on the Stay Away, Joe, material because it was censored.

Wasn't this label created to prevent bootlegs ? Let's hope MRS gets hold of the tapes and release them unedited. Thanks for treating us like children.

There are countless videos on YouTube with Elvis swearing and I can't recall anybody complaining.

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Emjel, posted lyrics above from.a Rap song from recent years.. here's a song recorded two years before Elvis was born.... read the comments... people can't believe people spoke like that in those days... Elvis being presented as John Boy F**King Walton in 2024...

elvisfan4-ever
Registered for: 9 months

Post by elvisfan4-ever »

Ernst has goofed again,Hes released Takes of songs where Elvis says ****,sh*t.GD ITS NOT ANYTHING WE HAVENT HEARD ELVIS SAY BEFORE THIS ISNT 1970S QUIT SUGAR COATING IT!!!!!!!!!

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

It was most likely a difficult decision whether to remove the bad language or not. None of us were actually in the position to make that call. Of course Elvis and the musicians were in a recording studio and everybody knew they were being recorded. That anything else but the masters, especially the in-between-song banter, offensive remarks and bad jokes, would get out there, was something nobody thought possible at the time.

Songs with explicit lyrics are nothing new but a different matter altogether, because they're created intentionally. In our case it's a privacy-related matter. Do we grant deceased people a right to privacy? And are privacy rights of celebrities any different than those of ordinary folks?

I admit that, as a fan and collector, I want it all with as few edits as possible. And the material in question has been put out by bootleggers decades ago, some of it accessible on social media. Doing the right thing sure can be difficult.

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

How difficult could it really have been ? What was Ernst's reasoning ?
Priscilla and Graceland signed off on "Agent Elvis" anybody watched that ?

Elvis's humorous language on these sessions is tame compared to "Agent Elvis".

Elvis wasn't "Chad Gates"

I feel like cancelling my copy and listening to it on YouTube.

Thanks, Ernst.

Tomek
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Tomek »

FTd stopped being serious with us, that’s for sure.

I lost a lot of respect for the label with Aloha release, just weeks before Legacy release. That was just a really bad and disrespectful trick.

Now cutting out bits a pieces of studio banters is another „new” thing.
Way to go FTD!

steve in sc4
Registered for: 9 months

Post by steve in sc4 »

So has this set escaped?

Catnapper
Registered for: 4 months
Mood:

Post by Catnapper »

Tomek wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:20 am
I lost a lot of respect for the label with Aloha release, just weeks before Legacy release. That was just a really bad and disrespectful trick.
I understand what you mean, Tomek.

However, to be more accurate, the FTD "Aloha" was released in February 2022, and the SONY Legacy was released in August 2023.

That's 18 months apart.

Tomek
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Tomek »

Well, but still.
They had new mixes and yet we got Alternate Aloha with old mix, then Legacy releasing both new mixes in 18 months with bluray.

If they did not know about Legacy why on Earth we didn’t get Alternate show remixed?

Anyway… that was really disappointing to me.
I sticked to complete sessions set from that point and now with thin new release it looks like I can move on with my life and save for retirement finally. :-)
Way to go FTD, make me rich!

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Can we stay on topic please? :) Anybody who finally has this set? I already thought months ago it will escape almost the same time as the "Memphis" box set.

For a little company
There's always me

Topic author
emjel
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by emjel »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:17 am
Can we stay on topic please? :) Anybody who finally has this set? I already thought months ago it will escape almost the same time as the "Memphis" box set.
It is definitely out now. A friend received his copy an hour ago from ESL so fans in the UK will have received their copy or should be on the way to them and of course dependant on different dealers doing different shipping. But I’d be surprised if everyone this side of the Atlantic has not got their set by this Saturday which is the day after the Memphis set is released.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

javilu

Post by javilu »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
I received a shipping notification from Bear Family, so I shall receive it in a month or so.

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

javilu wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:03 pm
luckyjackson1 wrote:
I received a shipping notification from Bear Family, so I shall receive it in a month or so.
OMG... isn't Bear Family way too expensive? In a month... :shock: :cry:

For a little company
There's always me

philobeddo
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by philobeddo »

Just received. So takes a while to hear everything. Started with US male outtakes. prisoners song is edited to the max. Which was predictable. Just a few seconds. But all the s and f words are intact between the song takes . Next few hours will reveal of there’s more cuts .

"Right turn Clyde"

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

philobeddo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:38 pm
Just received. So takes a while to hear everything. Started with US male outtakes. prisoners song is edited to the max. Which was predictable. Just a few seconds. But all the s and f words are intact between the song takes . Next few hours will reveal of there’s more cuts .
That is even more confusing so now they allow these words when Elvis is not singing but mute them during the songs themselves?

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

DENBOW
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by DENBOW »

Got it today from NDT will play tonight looks ok

javilu

Post by javilu »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:35 pm

OMG... isn't Bear Family way too expensive? In a month... :shock: :cry:
I live in Argentina, mate. The post arrives by donkey in here.

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by LesterB »

There is a couple of seconds where Elvis sings one line of The Rolling Stones ‘It’s All Over Now’!

Plus all the swearing is intact except the Prisoner Song.

JUST FOR TODAY

L Ray
Registered for: 17 years

Post by L Ray »

LesterB wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:41 pm
There is a couple of seconds where Elvis sings one line of The Rolling Stones ‘It’s All Over Now’!

Plus all the swearing is intact except the Prisoner Song.
I am guessing that the sound quality is outstanding. One of my favorite periods of Elvis’ career.

draig goch
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by draig goch »

Got mine today... Looking forward to playing this one.