Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by ForeverElvis »

emjel wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:15 pm
emjel wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:05 am
well with that recent interview with Ernst they could have asked him but I bet it never happened :shock:
The fact that there appears to have been little thought/planning in doing that interview in the first place suggests you are likely to be correct. And no one will have the temerity to ask such question if Ernst makes his annual appearance in Memphis selling Sony’s latest offering.
It’ll most likely consist of the usual over enthusiastic soundbites gushing out from whoever it is on stage talking to him or Roger as if they have discovered and released a load of recordings that no one ever knew existed, instead of allowing the audience to ask lots of meaningful questions about the release, and other questions such as why is it that FTD release never appear on time, or why do FTD releases attract higher than average prices and any clues to future happenings from the label. Yeah, we know that the chances of getting meaningful answers to such questions is highly unlikely but if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

And they’d probably have a Parker lookalike in the audience who would get up and call out "I'd like to live to my reputation of being a nice guy, but that’s it folks!" followed by Jorgensen & Semon running off the stage. :wink:
For FTD to be late they would have to announce, publish, the release date- which they don’t. So they aren’t really late.
Mmmm…Aren’t you being a little pedantic. Okay maybe I should have said "in a timely manner’, but I’m sure you understand the point I was making. Yes, they don’t give actual release dates by the day and month and from memory never have, but have often announced a month of release which in many cases they have not always adhered to.
The latest announcement for the Guitar Man set was made in the third week of May and I don’t think it is unreasonable for fans to think the set would have turned up by mid July. We are now two days away from August and still no details - I’d be surprised if fans outside of Europe now see it before the second week of August - maybe even the third by the time things have gone through shipping to the dealers and then the dealers getting things sorted.
After 25 years in existence and as someone else pointed out, you’d think they could work to more accurate lead times. Other small labels manage to give a release date for back catalogue kind of releases or re-issues and stick to those dates given, so why can’t FTD. It’s not like they are a label which deals with other artists too. If they need a lengthy lead time, make the announcement, as an example in June and then offer a release schedule even it was just "to be released third week of October" At least fans would have an idea of when to expect the release.
I agree with you.

Always Elvis
Anthony

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by frus75 »

emjel wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:15 pm
emjel wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:05 am
well with that recent interview with Ernst they could have asked him but I bet it never happened :shock:
The fact that there appears to have been little thought/planning in doing that interview in the first place suggests you are likely to be correct. And no one will have the temerity to ask such question if Ernst makes his annual appearance in Memphis selling Sony’s latest offering.
It’ll most likely consist of the usual over enthusiastic soundbites gushing out from whoever it is on stage talking to him or Roger as if they have discovered and released a load of recordings that no one ever knew existed, instead of allowing the audience to ask lots of meaningful questions about the release, and other questions such as why is it that FTD release never appear on time, or why do FTD releases attract higher than average prices and any clues to future happenings from the label. Yeah, we know that the chances of getting meaningful answers to such questions is highly unlikely but if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

And they’d probably have a Parker lookalike in the audience who would get up and call out "I'd like to live to my reputation of being a nice guy, but that’s it folks!" followed by Jorgensen & Semon running off the stage. :wink:
For FTD to be late they would have to announce, publish, the release date- which they don’t. So they aren’t really late.
Mmmm…Aren’t you being a little pedantic. Okay maybe I should have said "in a timely manner’, but I’m sure you understand the point I was making. Yes, they don’t give actual release dates by the day and month and from memory never have, but have often announced a month of release which in many cases they have not always adhered to.
The latest announcement for the Guitar Man set was made in the third week of May and I don’t think it is unreasonable for fans to think the set would have turned up by mid July. We are now two days away from August and still no details - I’d be surprised if fans outside of Europe now see it before the second week of August - maybe even the third by the time things have gone through shipping to the dealers and then the dealers getting things sorted.
After 25 years in existence and as someone else pointed out, you’d think they could work to more accurate lead times. Other small labels manage to give a release date for back catalogue kind of releases or re-issues and stick to those dates given, so why can’t FTD. It’s not like they are a label which deals with other artists too. If they need a lengthy lead time, make the announcement, as an example in June and then offer a release schedule even it was just "to be released third week of October" At least fans would have an idea of when to expect the release.
Agree. It’s that easy. If you’re always 1-2 months late, for any reason, better give a “two moths later release date”, so you’ll have the stock ready to go on release date. The worse is with releases planned for December , because we all agree those releases make for great Christmas presents, and any delay would push then way into January. Not to count all people from other continents , that have to endure atrocious postage cost and even more delay.

Iván

La voz del Rey

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

I didn't read the seventeen preceded pages. I cannot say I am very fond of and looking forward to that box set.
First time when I read the tracklisting, I calculated the running times. If they hadn't chosen the "motto" CD's, the remaining missing tracks would have fitted onto the five CD's.
But what can I say... waste of time and effort.
I like the clarity of "Danny Boy" and even "Polk Salad Annie" sounds better than on previous releases imo. "In The Ghetto" is too much M. R.-S. reverb for my taste.
I really don't want to know on what tracks he used his favorite sound effect, namely excessive use of echo, again.
I still cannot listen to, for example, his mix of "Until It's Time For You To Go" from the March 1972 rehearsal. To my ears that performance is totally ruined.
And there are plenty more examples, but I won't mention it here now, since you can't hear it anymore anyway. Nothing has really changed.
Oh, and yes, I would have liked to hear the original overdubbed 1969 masters finally properly remixed.
I wonder if the SUN recordings are simply pumped up a little :mrgreen:

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:05 am
I didn't read the seventeen preceded pages. I cannot say I am very fond of and looking forward to that box set.
First time when I read the tracklisting, I calculated the running times. If they hadn't chosen the "motto" CD's, the remaining missing tracks would have fitted onto the five CD's.
But what can I say... waste of time and effort.
I like the clarity of "Danny Boy" and even "Polk Salad Annie" sounds better than on previous releases imo. "In The Ghetto" is too much M. R.-S. reverb for my taste.
I really don't want to know on what tracks he used his favorite sound effect, namely excessive use of echo, again.
I still cannot listen to, for example, his mix of "Until It's Time For You To Go" from the March 1972 rehearsal. To my ears that performance is totally ruined.
And there are plenty more examples, but I won't mention it here now, since you can't hear it anymore anyway. Nothing has really changed.
Oh, and yes, I would have liked to hear the original overdubbed 1969 masters finally properly remixed.
I wonder if the SUN recordings are simply pumped up a little :mrgreen:

The 2009 Legacy release of From Elvis In Memphis presented great copies of the masters, and even included some MONO mixes.

https://www.elvisthemusic.com/music/from-elvis-in-memphis-legacy-edition/

All the fiddle-faddle over this upcoming collection really doesn't seem significant. We have many options to enjoying the American Sound material, and I'm not going to mention the trio of FTD 2xCD sets which were outstanding in every respect.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

luke1
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by luke1 »

Polk Salad still sucks big time. Back ground singers are way too far mixed to the background. Never saw him live but was in the Mid South Coloseum in August 1997 and that wall of sound blew me away ( elvis voice, live band and all background singers).

Robert
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Robert »

luke1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:16 pm
Back ground singers are way too far mixed to the background.
You basically just described the role of "background" singers.
The show will turn out fine, pretty close to the FTD release.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Saw on FB Elvis shop London already has the vinyl in store.
Happy hunting for those in the area.

luke1
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by luke1 »

Robert wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:25 pm
luke1 wrote:
Maybe a matter of taste/ listening experience. However he did not put them on stage to be completely muted.

Robert

Post by Robert »

luke1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:37 pm
Robert wrote:
luke1 wrote:
Maybe a matter of taste/ listening experience. However he did not put them on stage to be completely muted.
Got ya..
Matt Ross usually approaches each song slightly different so we'll know soon.
Overall sound on Polk Salad is a nice step up vs the dry/shrill, bass less legacy sound.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

luke1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:37 pm
Robert wrote:
luke1 wrote:

According to your own words, the background singers are not "completely muted."

:roll:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

bajo

Post by bajo »

I just jumped the wagon after 17 pages. Me wonders why the mainstream buyer would need the undubbed masters, even if remixed? Most of us in here have this material already covered. I just listened to In The Ghetto, Polk Salad Annie and Danny Boy on I-Tunes. It doesn't sound better to these ears, than previous releases. And why would they remix this material? I think this is just a repackage job, using material already available to us? Enlighten me!

Took me some time to find some "real facts" about this set! Still: As for a mainstream release, it may be nice for some?
To me, I find the track listing of the '69 recordings a bit weird. And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind surely should have had a place in there above Hey Jude imo. Thinking About You surely would have suited better than Take Good Care Of Her imo! :smt020

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Thank you so much, Jaime :smt007 I didn't know there was a "new" Cash release out :smt007 (and thanks to Sebastian too :wink: )

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

bajo

Post by bajo »

It is sort of amazing how milking old cows still lingers on! It's not just Elvis, Johnny..it's all over..

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Thanks to a friend i got the audio to this set already.. I'm not a fan of what they did with Don't Cry Daddy, Elvis regular vocal on the left, his harmony vocal overdub on the same level on the right channel. creates a VERY weird experience.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

bajo

Post by bajo »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:23 pm
Thanks to a friend i got the audio to this set already.. I'm not a fan of what they did with Don't Cry Daddy, Elvis regular vocal on the left, his harmony vocal overdub on the same level on the right channel. creates a VERY weird experience.
I think I'll take a listen to this before I will make an attempt to getting this! Thanks!

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

bajo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:20 pm
Johnny2523 wrote:
I think I'll take a listen to this before I will make an attempt to getting this! Thanks!
the sound quality is excellent throughout, we have quite a few unedited masters, don't cry daddy just isn't very good to me due to the above reason, i also don't understand why there are fades sometimes when they do give you a unedited performance (Elvis singing in the fade until felton says that's a gas or other comments being heard in the fade just before it ends), while other unedited masters have similar endings without fades.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

I have 2 copies of the vinyl coming in Friday morning and the big 5 cd set coming in from my pre order from Barnes and Nobles, so I’m apprehensive about the whole thing, but I know I will probably end up enjoying it.

2 more days, ugh. 😩

Oh, and my Guitar Man sessions box is on the way. 😊
Last edited by minkahed on Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by RickGreekElvis »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:26 pm

the sound quality is excellent throughout, we have quite a few unedited masters, don't cry daddy just isn't very good to me due to the above reason, i also don't understand why there are fades sometimes when they do give you a unedited performance (Elvis singing in the fade until felton says that's a gas or other comments being heard in the fade just before it ends), while other unedited masters have similar endings without fades.
Any improvements on the Sun recordings?

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:36 am
Johnny2523 wrote:

Improvements over either of these? Aside from re-recording them, how could there be? :smt017
a boy from tupelo.jpg
elvis at sun.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Johnny2523 wrote:
bajo wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Yes some are indeed longer….like For The Heart 👍
And completely agree regarding fadeout…and wish more of them were unedited aka no fade out.
Always loved «Talk about the good times» and here I have my definitive version in
great mix and no fade 😀

ale
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by ale »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:58 am
Johnny2523 wrote:
bajo wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
And completely agree regarding fadeout…and wish more of them were unedited aka no fade out.
Always loved «Talk about the good times» and here I have my definitive version in
great mix and no fade 😀
How is the ending on You asked me to?....much longer?...more JB's solo or Elvis singing??

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:36 am
Johnny2523 wrote:

Same as a boy from tupelo as far as i could hear.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

ale wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 3:12 am
LSP-4445 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:58 am
Johnny2523 wrote:
bajo wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
great mix and no fade 😀
How is the ending on You asked me to?....much longer?...more JB's solo or Elvis singing??
Only approx 10 sec longer with a little talking before the song starts.
I like it but my favorite version is still the mix&take that we first got on Essential 5 in 1998.

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Wayfarer »

Johnny2523 wrote:
bajo wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Only a day for me to wait to hear it all, but I'm still interested in reading your notes. Excellent sound is promising, however, the decisions made over what’s faded and unfaded sounds disappointing, though perhaps a commercial remit dictated these and other choices. I don't know what the thinking was. Anyway, it sounds like the work, with a few oddities in selections, is impressive overall.