More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

johnnyburnz
Registered for: 10 years

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by johnnyburnz »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:45 pm
Well this got interesting I went to check out the Qobuz link that started this whole thread, and if you listen to the sample of Mystery Train on there, it sounds very similar to what I heard on the radio. So is this a unique mix only found on the digital download version? https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/album/memphis-elvis-presley/ohsagkcx7fetc
That's strange.

Wow! $139.29 and its not available in 24bit? I wonder why?

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Wayfarer »

For those in the UK, you can hear Bob Harris on his country show highlight the release and play True Love Travels on a Gravel Road from it (at about 24 minute mark). I enjoyed the percussive effects in this new Ross-Spang version.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0021hqx

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

Started listening to bits and pieces, very bright and dynamic mastering wise for the most part. The opening vamp for the Memphis show finally sounds thunderous, overall it's a warm and punchy mix and master, this is going to be my go to from now on.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Topic author
RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by RickGreekElvis »

This is the mix I heard on the radio

A Boy From Tupelo version (supposedly the same one used for the physical Memphis box set)

The rest of the Sun tracks on the Memphis digital set sound like A Boy From Tupelo but with the volume boosted.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

Just came on Apple Music and I’m listening now.

Thoughts later ….

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by JeroenNL »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:33 pm
I think the sound quality is excellent, the best work for me has been done on the jungle room sessions, but i share the sentiment of ryan in that the memphis 69 material isnt done as great, the sound quality is great but the mixing isn't always the greatest i had listened to suspicious minds and also noticed that Reggie Young's guitar is out of sync, i wonder (as odd as it is to say) if the multitrack channels werent all at the same speed. But an engineer would have known that, so maybe it was a creative decision
Yes, I agree with you regarding Suspicious Minds… that ‘s the only one that sounded a bit strange indeed. The other 1969 material sounds great! Love ‘Any Day Now’!

Note: just listened to Suspicious Minds in the car instead of earphones: somehow it sounds better on speakers then through earphones.

Note 2: through (good) speakers: Don’t Cry Daddy is even more impressive then through earphones. Wow.
Last edited by JeroenNL on Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Christian
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Christian »

The Graceland-material sounds amazing - details I've never heard before. Im listening to the Spotify-version, so the CD-version must be even better. Do yourself a favor and listen to the material on good headphones or speakers. Im using Sennheiser Momentum 4 headphones and I'm blown away by the mixing.

Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Fabbe »

Level choices are ultimately personal decisions but technical errors are errors. There is a clear technical error in 'Suspicious Minds' where the guitar is slightly out of sync with the rest of the music. There are other technical errors like this in the '69 tracks - considering the importance of these tracks we can say we need another remix (or fix).

All the 70s material sound good, enhanced.

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

joeroberts
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by joeroberts »

Oh guys don’t you realize…there are probably no errors on this box. They have taken liberties by including both of Elvis’ lead vocal and his harmony which we are learning has some just straight doubling. It’s bold to also exclude most of the other instruments.

Hats off to this bold choice. It gives us a fabulous insight into the recording process and is an experience for the ears

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

joeroberts wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:03 am
Oh guys don’t you realize…there are probably no errors on this box. They have taken liberties by including both of Elvis’ lead vocal and his harmony which we are learning has some just straight doubling. It’s bold to also exclude most of the other instruments.

Hats off to this bold choice. It gives us a fabulous insight into the recording process and is an experience for the ears
I’m referring to “Don’t Cry Daddy.”

Please consider listening with open ears.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

I was doing an A B comparison of the concert using the Legacy and the new 2024 mixes, firstly it's night and day, the 2024 mix overall sounds much nicer despite the buried cymbals and the back up vocalists. Whilst comparing I decided to try and merge both mixes and I think the outcome is pretty good, the drums, cymbals, back up vocalists and more importantly Elvis is raised in the mix whilst retaining the ambient and warm sound of the 2024 mix.

Let Me Be There (Legacy & 2024 Mix)

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

Nice touch that Fair’s Moving On is in mono like the original record

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by frus75 »

On good time Charlie they have left in the overdubbed guitar that duels with James

Iván

La voz del Rey

KB
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by KB »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:43 am
I was doing an A B comparison of the concert using the Legacy and the new 2024 mixes, firstly it's night and day, the 2024 mix overall sounds much nicer despite the buried cymbals and the back up vocalists. Whilst comparing I decided to try and merge both mixes and I think the outcome is pretty good, the drums, cymbals, back up vocalists and more importantly Elvis is raised in the mix whilst retaining the ambient and warm sound of the 2024 mix.

Thank you for your assessement.

I bought the new set today and had a chance to compare the newly remixed/remastered concert with the FTD edition.

My opinion is that FTD wins heads down, dispite its imperfections (too much revrb and James Burton’s guitat too silent).

The new sound is bassy, muddy and seems compressed and Elvis’ voice is low in the mix. Not really a pleasant listening for me.

FTD sound is more open and clear, drums sound more clear and Elvis is up front in the mix.

Not sure what Matt Ross-Spang had on mind while creating new mixes - but this may be another missed oportunity to produce the definitive version of the Memphis concert.

RKSNASHVILLE
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

I am listening on the Amazon streaming platform.

I've noticed some of the tracks have overdubs - female voices, strings, etc.

Are these on the actual CD? Did the wrong versions get uploaded to the Amazon streaming?

So far, tracks that sound like the overdubbed masters with strings and voices - In The Ghetto, Kentucky Rain, From A Jack To A King, Without Love, You'll Think of Me, True Love Travels On A Gravel Road, It Keeps Right on A Hurtin'.

"Movin' On" has horns and voices. :shock:

Do these have the backing voices, strings, etc. on the actual CD or on other streaming platforms?

Thanks,
RKS

JeroenNL

Post by JeroenNL »

Listening to the concert now: fantastic mix. Warm and loads of power yet clear and full of details. Nice to hear Glen D much better on My Baby Left Me and the audience reactions are very well placed so it has intimacy yet still sounds like the big concert it is. Love this! Great job by Matt.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

KB wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:47 pm
Elvis2000 wrote:

I bought the new set today and had a chance to compare the newly remixed/remastered concert with the FTD edition.

My opinion is that FTD wins heads down, dispite its imperfections (too much revrb and James Burton’s guitat too silent).

The new sound is bassy, muddy and seems compressed and Elvis’ voice is low in the mix. Not really a pleasant listening for me.

FTD sound is more open and clear, drums sound more clear and Elvis is up front in the mix.

Not sure what Matt Ross-Spang had on mind while creating new mixes - but this may be another missed oportunity to produce the definitive version of the Memphis concert.

You're welcome.

My main issue with the FTD is that it's mastered way too loud and the excessive use of reverb is pretty unbearable, which is why I'm able to put up with the Legacy or 2024 mixes despite their own limitations. But I respect your opinion.

The new mix for me is the best we have because it's the most dynamic of the three iterations, it's warm and it's got the audience track at the right level giving the best amount of ambiance. A merge of the Legacy and 2024 mix would be even better though, in my opinion.

To be fair to Matt, he has been consistent with the way he mixes these shows, he's always lowered Elvis' vocals to keep them fairly level with everyone else on stage, maybe he's trying to give the listener the impression that they're sitting in the crowd?

Robert
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Robert »

KB wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:

While the FTD sound was always miles ahead of the poor Legacy release, I do think this latest release is slightly better than the FTD but it's very close indeed.
The drum track is more tight, aside from the fact that the kick drum was hardly picked up on a separate track anyway, but all releases suffer from that.

Vs the FTD and Legacy mix the bass is slightly more prominent but the bass track was just not very well recorded.
It's ok'ish but thin sounding especially vs the MSG recording where the bass gives you that cool foundational layer..
(and Jerry being the better bass player anyway)

That said, I think this latest release provides the best Memphis 74 concert experience with an ambient touch and great track separation.
Elvis voice shines throughout!
It will be my go to source.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Robert wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:19 pm
KB wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:

While the FTD sound was always miles ahead of the poor Legacy release, I do think this latest release is slightly better than the FTD but it's very close indeed.
The drum track is more tight, aside from the fact that the kick drum was hardly picked up on a separate track anyway, but all releases suffer from that.
I completely gave up on the FTD release in 2004 when I heard how poor Steamroller Blues sounded compared to the Platinum box set version.
Last edited by LSP-4445 on Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

I'm definitely in a minority but I like the split vocals on Don't Cry Daddy, it's different from the norm and I can appreciate it for that.

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

joeroberts wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:04 am
joeroberts wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:03 am

I’m referring to “Don’t Cry Daddy.”

Please consider listening with open ears.
Yeah it sounds really bad.

But hey, this and Suspicious Minds will be fixed on the coming release

Keep on Rockin'

kevanbudd
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by kevanbudd »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:16 am
This is the mix I heard on the radio

A Boy From Tupelo version (supposedly the same one used for the physical Memphis box set)

The rest of the Sun tracks on the Memphis digital set sound like A Boy From Tupelo but with the volume boosted.
Good spot, `That's all right` is different as well, with more reverb than `A boy from Tupelo` on the link you provided.

https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/album/memphis-elvis-presley/ohsagkcx7fetc

Kevan Budd.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

That's all Right on the new set is the RCA single master but slightly compressed.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:24 pm
That's all Right on the new set is the RCA single master but slightly compressed.
I doubt that...

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me