bajo
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by bajo »

bajo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:55 pm
bajo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:53 pm
Regarding Talk About The Good Times, I don't think the undubbed master as it is supposed to appear on the Good Times FTD, is it! I think it is the backup vocal oberdubbed master! Take 3 of the song has no live backup vocals. According to Keith, vocal oberdub to Talk About The Good Times were done later. That said, I've actually come to like this set as I have had time to dig into it!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

bajo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:53 pm
Regarding Talk About The Good Times, I don't think the undubbed master as it is supposed to appear on the Good Times FTD, is actually the back up vocals overdubbed master. Take 3 of the song has no live backup vocals. According to Keith, vocal oberdub to Talk About The Good Times were done later. That said, I've actually come to like this set as I have had time to dig into it!
Take 3 does feature live back up vocals

The FTDs if the stax sessions had backing vocals mixed out too.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by frus75 »

Talk about the good times had live vocals. They overdubbed a second group, to give it a more gospel revival feeling. You can spot the second group doing some things complementing the vocalists that were recorded live.

And like I said earlier, they also left in the second electric guitar overdubbed on Good time Charlie’s , that plays along James, ending in a kind of ask and answer duet. It helps the song, but it’s an overdubbed.

Iván

La voz del Rey

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

Anyway, I have been checking all the retail outlets around my area and, apparently, it’s all out of stock everywhere.

Seems like there’s a lot of Elvis fans in this area getting their copy, the guy at Barnes And Nobles just told me he had 5 copies of the Lp and 2 cd sets and they all sold over the weekend.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

In today's Midweek UK Album Charts Elvis features twice:

'Elvis - 30 No.1 Hits at No.36
Elvis 'Memphis' Boxset a new entry at No. 51

Brian

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

MysteryTrain wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:34 pm
Amazon U.S.A. has dropped the price on the "Elvis Memphis" CD box set to $60.25 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=elvis+memphis+box+set&crid=1Z1F4Z1QGMCFD&sprefix=elvis+memphis%2Caps%2C159&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-xclick_2_13

MT
Thanks. I decided to wait until tonight to order. Amazon's price is now $70.99. I'll wait for the price to come back down or suggest to my wife as a xmas gift.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

sweetangeline wrote:Mine is on the way from amazon.co.uk and the total price in Canadian funds was $65.77...unbeatable anywhere else.
Mine is in its way to British Columbia, Canada. It cost $66.45 CDN (including shipping).

That’s only $48.33 USD!!

For this item I don’t think you can beat Amazon uk.

Always Elvis
Anthony

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Mike C wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:
Amazon U.S.A. has dropped the price on the "Elvis Memphis" CD box set to $60.25 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=elvis+memphis+box+set&crid=1Z1F4Z1QGMCFD&sprefix=elvis+memphis%2Caps%2C159&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-xclick_2_13

MT
Thanks. I decided to wait until tonight to order. Amazon's price is now $70.99. I'll wait for the price to come back down or suggest to my wife as a xmas gift.
Why not order it from Amazon uk, it’s a lot cheaper.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:11 am
Mike C wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:

MT
Thanks, Anthony! You are right -- that is a great deal. My all in total was $53.09 (arriving next week).

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I paid 28.55 euros for my set from amazon.es, I’m just a happy guy…. 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

ForeverElvis

Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by ForeverElvis »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I paid 28.55 euros for my set from amazon.es, I’m just a happy guy…. 8). Bye for now :smt006.
That beats them all!
28.55 euros is $31 usd and $48 CDN. Almost $20 CDN less than I paid!

It’s currently 107 euros + shipping on Amazon.es
The 28 euro price was the pre order price, wow!

Always Elvis
Anthony

Jean-Marc
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Jean-Marc »

Still possible to get this fantastic set from Amazon.it for a mere 25.44 EUR (or 28.71 EUR within the EU).

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0D5TSWYY8

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by JeroenNL »

Got the LP today (CD Boxset comes later this week) and listened to 1969 and 1976 material. Sounds fantastic!! Shame it doesn’t come with printed inner sleeves, like the both ‘From Nashville’ LP sets. That would have made it all the more complete. ‘Danny Boy’ now playing and it sounds marvelous from vinyl!

Igotstung
Registered for: 9 months

Post by Igotstung »

https://www.sonymusic.com/legacy/rca-records-legacy-recordings-release-first-fully-comprehensive-collection-elvis-presley-memphis/

Elvis week will celebrate this box set with live performance (featuring Donna Morris, Gene Chrisman, Larry Strickland) as well as q& a with Ernst, Matt and Robert Gordon. Live streaming as always on FB and YT.

L Ray
Registered for: 17 years

Post by L Ray »

Mike C wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:08 am
ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:11 am
Mike C wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:

MT

Thanks, Anthony! You are right -- that is a great deal. My all in total was $53.09 (arriving next week).
Thanks. I just did the same thing.😀

fodders
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by fodders »

Igotstung wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:00 pm
https://www.sonymusic.com/legacy/rca-records-legacy-recordings-release-first-fully-comprehensive-collection-elvis-presley-memphis/

Elvis week will celebrate this box set with live performance (featuring Donna Morris, Gene Chrisman, Larry Strickland) as well as q& a with Ernst, Matt and Robert Gordon. Live streaming as always on FB and YT.
Can you send a link when appropriate please

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:03 pm
Mike Windgren wrote:
That beats them all!
28.55 euros is $31 usd and $48 CDN. Almost $20 CDN less than I paid!

It’s currently 107 euros + shipping on Amazon.es
The 28 euro price was the pre order price, wow!
Yes it was... :wink:. Will receive it probably at the end of this week or early next week, as it has been sent from an amazon warehouse in Germany! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Brian Quinn wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:41 am
In today's Midweek UK Album Charts Elvis features twice:

'Elvis - 30 No.1 Hits at No.36
Elvis 'Memphis' Boxset a new entry at No. 51

Brian
that's good to hear :D Because in the grand scheme of things like an extended Elvis On Tour of the magnitude of Let it Be on Disney, earmarked for august 2027, we need to see Elvis albums doing well on the charts.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

this, here is STEPHEN SCHNEE, THE CD JUNKIE online review

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

some feedback to the above review.

The way it seems, the negatives are out weighing the positives at this point in time, but things change, right? ::rocks

@MostlyBuicks
1 hour ago
The problem is with the 1969 sessions is 1. Often times Elvis simply did a guide vocal while the musicians played and he later dubbed in the final vocal over the instrumental track. 2. Sometimes a band member did the guide vocal when Elvis was out with laryngitis and Elvis came back and did the final vocal over an instrumental track. 3. Only some of the songs were a totally live take with the band with Elvis' original vocals used. I have not heard it yet, but Don't Cry Daddy was one that had Bobby Wood's guide vocal. So I guess the one found on this collection is Elvis' vocal with acoustic guitar to be dubbed over the previous instrumental track that had Bobby's guide vocal, PLUS Elvis' harmony vocal overdub. I suspect the harmony vocal was through the whole song, but when the original was mixed for release, they only used the harmony part in the chorus. The way Momon recorded was contrary to the way Elvis usually recorded. Elvis seldom sang to a backing track. He did with some soundtrack songs and the Indescribably Blue sessions. So for the 1969 Memphis sessions it would be IMPOSSIBLE to have all selections being Elvis and the band performing live together. But what you get here are the masters BEFORE the strings, horns and additional backing vocals were dubbed in.

@markboyd9275
16 hours ago
Thanks. I was curious about this.
My first impressions weren’t positive.
The concept(just stuff recorded in memphis?) seemed like underwhelming barrel-scraping & the cover looked like a generic European public domain release.
Thanks to your review, I’ve reconsidered whether to purchase or not.
So, mission accomplished, Steve

@neillanc65
5 hours ago
A few thoughts:

1. Where are ‘Rubberneckin’, ‘My Little Friend’, ‘And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind', ‘Sweet Angeline’ and A Little Bit Of Green' ?
2. If you are keeping some songs off the set. Surely, ‘Hey Jude’ ‘If That Isn’t Love and ‘She Wears My Ring’ and ‘Three Corn Patches’ should be omitted?
3. The guitar and piano are out of sync on ‘Suspicious Minds’
4. The remix of ‘Promised Land’ has the organ high in the mix. Nice to hear in the intro. Bloody annoying throughout though. Burton’s guitar solos have lowered in the mix. In fact he sounds like he’s in the car park.
I could go on. But I’ve got things to do

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Dan_T »

IMO, the sound on the box set is fantastic. But I can't get passed the awful mess of Suspicious Minds, this is surely a mistake not detected before release ?

And the very poor edit on Any Day Now. Hopefully if they're mistakes they can be rectified. 😬 🤞

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

So OK, let's listen carefully to Promised Land that some fans are outraged about :evil:

So the organ is featured here on a par with the guitars and drums on this 2024 mix, Far out, my friends, to these ears, this sounds every bit as good as the previous Promised Land offerings, C'mon.

Now, one could make up homemade series of reissued mixes on Promised Land , one after the other, in all their glory :D

Plus we have guys like elvisalesellers here that can take the best of both worlds approach and from time to time he adds alternative-composite mixes on here, Bless him.

I say, take it easy, and just enjoy the various mixes you have now :D

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

lets have a good listen in to If You Talk in Your Sleep now.

Yes, it's different mix with more of the organ, NOT Bad or Good , but different, perhaps the fade-out could have been longer, however.
I love it :smt007

Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:12 am
So OK, let's listen carefully to Promised Land that some fans are outraged about :evil:

So the organ is featured here on a par with the guitars and drums on this 2024 mix, Far out, my friends, to these ears, this sounds every bit as good as the previous Promised Land offerings, C'mon.

Now, one could make up homemade series of reissued mixes on Promised Land , one after the other, in all their glory :D

Plus we have guys like elvisalesellers here that can take the best of both worlds approach and from time to time he adds alternative-composite mixes on here, Bless him.

I'm glad you like it. For me, it's the most dissapointing remix on the set. Ross-Spang didn't just bring it up in the mix, he's featured it. It's a support instrument, not a lead instrument. It's like he decided, since it's couldn't be heard in the original mix, to make it the main focus of the mix. It's distracting, and serves to drown out Elvis' great vocal. elvisalesellers fix is perfect. You can still hear it, but it's where it belongs in the mix for the best musical sounding presentation, off to the side and at a volume that supports the rhythm , rather than overpowering it.

If You Talk In Your Sleep, on the other hand, sounds great, no complaints there... although I think the whole "undubbed" gimmick has long run it's course.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Mike in New Jersey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:25 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:12 am

I'm glad you like it. For me, it's the most dissapointing remix on the set. Ross-Spang didn't just bring it up in the mix, he's featured it. It's a support instrument, not a lead instrument. It's like he decided, since it's couldn't be heard in the original mix, to make it the main focus of the mix. It's distracting, and serves to drown out Elvis' great vocal. elvisalesellers fix is perfect. You can still hear it, but it's where it belongs in the mix for the best musical sounding presentation, off to the side and at a volume that supports the rhythm , rather than overpowering it.

If You Talk In Your Sleep, on the other hand, sounds great, no complaints there... although I think the whole "undubbed" gimmick has long run it's course.

But isn't that due to ROSS-SPANG opting to give fans a new look on some of these tracks? Ross-Spang knows full well that hard-core base would have purchased prior SONY and FTD releases all in differing mixes and so rightly or wrongly , chose to present fan-favourite tracks in a different light.