Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

let's listen carefully to "Suspicious Minds 2024 mix" (which is fairly sacred song to me and to many fans i'm sure).

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Now let's listen in to "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" sans the background vocals. As the song develops, Elvis' voice is a tad weak on this mix, but less reverbed than the original master.

Somebody will make up a composite on this and the "Our Memories of Elvis", mix and add it here :D

Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:18 am
Mike in New Jersey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:25 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:12 am
So OK, let's listen carefully to Promised Land that some fans are outraged about :evil:

So the organ is featured here on a par with the guitars and drums on this 2024 mix, Far out, my friends, to these ears, this sounds every bit as good as the previous Promised Land offerings, C'mon.

Now, one could make up homemade series of reissued mixes on Promised Land , one after the other, in all their glory :D

Plus we have guys like elvisalesellers here that can take the best of both worlds approach and from time to time he adds alternative-composite mixes on here, Bless him.

I say, take it easy, and just enjoy the various mixes you have now :D
I'm glad you like it. For me, it's the most dissapointing remix on the set. Ross-Spang didn't just bring it up in the mix, he's featured it. It's a support instrument, not a lead instrument. It's like he decided, since it's couldn't be heard in the original mix, to make it the main focus of the mix. It's distracting, and serves to drown out Elvis' great vocal. elvisalesellers fix is perfect. You can still hear it, but it's where it belongs in the mix for the best musical sounding presentation, off to the side and at a volume that supports the rhythm , rather than overpowering it.

If You Talk In Your Sleep, on the other hand, sounds great, no complaints there... although I think the whole "undubbed" gimmick has long run it's course.

But isn't that due to ROSS-SPANG opting to give fans a new look on some of these tracks? Ross-Spang knows full well that hard-core base would have purchased prior SONY and FTD releases all in differing mixes and so rightly or wrongly , chose to present fan-favourite tracks in a different light.
He may have been looking to give fans a different "look" for these songs, but I think it could have been done in a way that was more complementary to the overall recording. As is, all I hear (not literally) in this mix is the organ. It drowns out everything else in the song due to its shrill sound. Changing something simply for the sake of it is not always a good thing.

Has anyone heard the Graceland Q&A on this? I don't see it posted on you tube, so I was wondering what was said about it...although I already have a pretty good idea.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:36 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:18 am
Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:25 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:12 am
So OK, let's listen carefully to Promised Land that some fans are outraged about :evil:

So the organ is featured here on a par with the guitars and drums on this 2024 mix, Far out, my friends, to these ears, this sounds every bit as good as the previous Promised Land offerings, C'mon.

Now, one could make up homemade series of reissued mixes on Promised Land , one after the other, in all their glory :D

Plus we have guys like elvisalesellers here that can take the best of both worlds approach and from time to time he adds alternative-composite mixes on here, Bless him.

I say, take it easy, and just enjoy the various mixes you have now :D
I'm glad you like it. For me, it's the most dissapointing remix on the set. Ross-Spang didn't just bring it up in the mix, he's featured it. It's a support instrument, not a lead instrument. It's like he decided, since it's couldn't be heard in the original mix, to make it the main focus of the mix. It's distracting, and serves to drown out Elvis' great vocal. elvisalesellers fix is perfect. You can still hear it, but it's where it belongs in the mix for the best musical sounding presentation, off to the side and at a volume that supports the rhythm , rather than overpowering it.

If You Talk In Your Sleep, on the other hand, sounds great, no complaints there... although I think the whole "undubbed" gimmick has long run it's course.

But isn't that due to ROSS-SPANG opting to give fans a new look on some of these tracks? Ross-Spang knows full well that hard-core base would have purchased prior SONY and FTD releases all in differing mixes and so rightly or wrongly , chose to present fan-favourite tracks in a different light.
He may have been looking to give fans a different "look" for these songs, but I think it could have been done in a way that was more complementary to the overall recording. As is, all I hear (not literally) in this mix is the organ. It drowns out everything else in the song due to its shrill sound. Changing something simply for the sake of it is not always a good thing.

Has anyone heard the Graceland Q&A on this? I don't see it posted on you tube, so I was wondering what was said about it...although I already have a pretty good idea.
yes, Matt Ross Spang has some explaining to do with regards to his aim on some of the tracks. But will the fans there be calling him out on specific traxs? Speaking for myself am not a fan on removal of background vocals to "I'll Never Fall in Love Again 2024 mix".

Mike in New Jersey
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

The EAP Society podcast has a review of the set, starting about 24 minutes in, and they speculate that due to the placement of individual tracks in the 1969 mixes, there may have been AI separation used, which may account for the anomalies on that particular disc. I find that doubtful though as I would think, they'd mention that they used it, wouldn't they?...

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by TCB-FAN »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:35 am
Now let's listen in to "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" sans the background vocals. As the song develops, Elvis' voice is a tad weak on this mix, but less reverbed than the original master.

Somebody will make up a composite on this and the "Our Memories of Elvis", mix and add it here :D

"Our Memories Of Elvis" album comes to mind whenever I hear this stripped down mix of INFILA with no reverb. Very similar indeed..except the OMOE version still had the background singers in tact.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by YDKM »

Yes I tend to agree the prominent Organ very quickly becomes too much and annoying

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

henryneill
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by henryneill »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:28 am
lets have a good listen in to If You Talk in Your Sleep now.

Yes, it's different mix with more of the organ, NOT Bad or Good , but different, perhaps the fade-out could have been longer, however.
I love it :smt007

Very disapointing that they mixed out Elvis' laughing at the end again. It was heard lound and clear on the original single release from 1974, but was mixed out on almost (?) all releases we have on CD today. If the goal was to present the songs as Elvis' heard them in the studio, this is an even stranger decision.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

henryneill wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:00 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:28 am
lets have a good listen in to If You Talk in Your Sleep now.

Yes, it's different mix with more of the organ, NOT Bad or Good , but different, perhaps the fade-out could have been longer, however.
I love it :smt007

Very disappointing that they mixed out Elvis' laughing at the end again. It was heard lound and clear on the original single release from 1974, but was mixed out on almost (?) all releases we have on CD today. If the goal was to present the songs as Elvis' heard them in the studio, this is an even stranger decision.
Yeah I know. Said it before the fade-out was too soon on 2024 mix.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

YDKM wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:49 am
Yes I tend to agree the prominent Organ very quickly becomes too much and annoying
Yeah i agree with you, after playing this thing multiple times today the novelty has worn out. The Organ shouldn't have been as prominent in this mix.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

TCB-FAN wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:17 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:35 am

"Our Memories Of Elvis" album comes to mind whenever I hear this stripped down mix of INFILA with no reverb. Very similar indeed..except the OMOE version still had the background singers in tact.

elvisalisellers is the guy that can salvage it by combining the two. Because the backup vocals should NOT have been omitted on 2024 mix.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Matt Ross SPANG , What the hell are you doing with Don't Cry Daddy ? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I would be happy with just the guitar and one Elvis vocal...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Good old Elvis A-Z (aka Rick) has been weighing in with his detailed review of three tracks from the new box set.

You better get the head phones on before you proceed.

00:00 - Intro
01:40 - Video Explanation
05:10 - Mystery Train 1st Run
07:08 - Mystery Train 2nd Run
10:00 - Suspicious Minds 1st Run
12:26 - Suspicious Minds 2nd Run
15:22 - Do You Know Who I Am? 1st Run
17:45 - Do You Know Who I Am? 2nd Run
19:20 - Final Comments

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

8) smt200 smt201 :smt045 :smt023

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

Mike in New Jersey

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:16 pm
Matt Ross SPANG , What the hell are you doing with Don't Cry Daddy ? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I would be happy with just the guitar and one Elvis vocal...
It's these kind of things that make me believe that he (or whomever he was getting feedback from) were making things different just for its own sake and not really taking into account how musically natural it sounds.

I genuinely suspect that these "anomalies" were directives from someone up the food chain, as I've never had any issue with Ross-Spang's mixes before this set. The first Nashville set was magnificent.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

not at all bothered by 'Don't Cry Daddy' mix.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Dan_T »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:40 pm

8) smt200 smt201 :smt045 :smt023

This is a good review !

What's the chances of Disc 2 being replaced ?

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:04 pm
on a mainstream release...are you kidding??

100% not happening!!

...also 4 of the 6 tracks are also on the vinyl so should we get a vinyl replacement?? Again, not happening. We will know by the end of this week approximately how many copies sold so just think about what the number could potentially be?? Who is going to cover those costs?? Nobody.
Last edited by sweetangeline on Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luke1
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by luke1 »

Jean-Marc wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:16 pm
Still possible to get this fantastic set from Amazon.it for a mere 25.44 EUR (or 28.71 EUR within the EU).

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0D5TSWYY8
Many thanks. Just ordered the set only because of this low price. Listened on Spotify yesterday and was not really impressed, yet..Promised land, one of my favourites is a terrible mix indeed..that organ or whatever it is is so annoying.

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Dan_T »

sweetangeline wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:42 pm
Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:04 pm
on a mainstream release...are you kidding??

100% not happening!!

...also 4 of the 6 tracks are also on the vinyl so should we get a vinyl replacement?? Again, not happening. We will know by the end of this week approximately how many copies sold so just think about what the number could potentially be?? Who is going to cover those costs?? Nobody.
Shouldn't have been released like it in the first place ! If it's a mistake which seems pretty clear that it is it should be corrected.
Sony should cover the cost, its not rocket science , is it ?

Somebody should ask Ernst about the out of sync tracks on Suspicious Minds at Elvis week, if he's there, of course.
The rest of the box set, imo, is superb, Graceland session tracks are fabulous.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:14 pm
Shouldn't have been released like it in the first place ! If it's a mistake which seems pretty clear that it is it should be corrected.
Sony should cover the cost, its not rocket science , is it ?

Somebody should ask Ernst about the out of sync tracks on Suspicious Minds at Elvis week, if he's there, of course.
you are entitled to think what you wish, but I stick with what I stated earlier...100%!!

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

elvisalisellers wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:14 pm
today wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:30 am
elvisalisellers wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:40 pm
Modified version of Ross-Spang's mix of "Promised Land" [again, characterised by a layer of tape hiss due to his insistency of mixing in analogue].

Elvis' vocal raised/delay effect reduced
Lead guitar amplified
Organ reduction
Presence applied to drum track
Narrower stereo spread

https://we.tl/t-RCV8oDLJ9g
Sounds interesting! Did anyone get this one? Missed out on it. Anyone able to repost?
https://we.tl/t-FViyBdihYU
Thank you elvisalisellers,this is so much better than the official one :cheers:
The bloody organ drove me crazy :|
Wish the song didnt have so quick fadeout….25+ years ago Sony/BMG or whoever issued the song
with a later (but quicker) fadeout on many releases but that didnt last.

Strange but everytime I hear For The Heart my mind thinks the first 3-4 seconds is louder than what comes next…weird how my brain works….or not working at all :roll:

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:41 am
But I can't get passed the awful mess of Suspicious Minds, this is surely a mistake not detected before release ?
The guitar certainly seems to be out of sync with the rest of the music... at least in the first verse. My other issue with the guitar is it's too loud compared to Elvis' voice... but that's probably just me.
Either way, the American Sound 1969 FTD version of the undubbed take 8 is my preference over this new mix...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

let's see (hear) what Ross-Sprang has been able to achieve "It's Easy For You" which is intensely moving?

He's done away with the orchestra from the original master. Good riddens to that I say :D

Big thumbs up from me :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by frus75 »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:let's see (hear) what Ross-Sprang has been able to achieve "It's Easy For You" which is intensely moving?

He's done away with the orchestra from the original master. Good riddens to that I say :D

Big thumbs up from me :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
There was no orchestra on the original. The October 76 masters didn’t get orchestral overdubbing.

Iván

La voz del Rey