Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

now it's time for a careful listen on "Danny Boy 2024"

And it's another big thumbs up from me :D

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Dan_T »

I listened to Disc 5 earlier, it sounds amazing !

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

hey my friends, today is my mama's birthday, she would've turned 82.

Therefore am going to "Mama Liked the Roses 2024" a spin now (possibly more as the day moves on).

HEY, Great !!!

To my ears sounds a lot better without the background vocals.

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by JeroenNL »

Just listened to the actual cd's and the sound is MUCH BETTER compared to streaming!

Love the sax near the end of the Rock n Roll Medley from the 74 concert! :-) Great detail!

Topic author
RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by RickGreekElvis »

It appears Spotify and Deezer have corrected the Sun material on disc 1 for streaming.

Eann
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by Eann »

I know this won't appease the true collectors, but rather than issue a new disc, could they offer a download version with the fixes? At least then we would have the correct, fixed versions of the '69 tracks. I am loving this set, the '76 tracks come off best, but some of those '73 tracks have also moved up a notch in my opinion (with the exception of Three Corn Patches).

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by TCB-FAN »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:35 pm
let's see (hear) what Ross-Sprang has been able to achieve "It's Easy For You" which is intensely moving?

He's done away with the orchestra from the original master. Good riddens to that I say :D

Big thumbs up from me :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Best mix ever for this song. Ross-Spang did a fantastic job on the jungle room sessions overall (Disc 5). Best sounding disc of the whole set.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

JeroenNL wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:06 pm
Just listened to the actual cd's and the sound is MUCH BETTER compared to streaming!

Love the sax near the end of the Rock n Roll Medley from the 74 concert! :-) Great detail!
Yes i thought that would be the case. I been listening to various tracks off youtube (and am happy with them apart from "Don't Cry Daddy 2024" nonsense) with some reservations, obviously there's a difference what you hear online as opposed to listening to a physical product.

I wont be listening to any more 2024 mixes/ tracks as i am satisfied and will be getting a copy by end of the year.
I'm more keen on the soon-to-be FTD Nashville 1966-1968.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:46 pm
On YouTube tonight.

.https://www.youtube.com/live/56LNyFFvf0c?si=HE4OukJJZ9CCHzWc.
Interesting — still in the process of watching . . .

No explanation of Suspicious Minds out of synch., (so far) at least during the initial Listen & Discussion portion (of this song).
I like the discussion during Good Times Charlie's Got The Blues. :smt023

And a very nice story from Ernst about his meeting with Felton and our Hero's recording of "Danny Boy". :smt020 :smt060

"It's not necessarily when we are the youngest or the strongest version of ourselves, that we have the most to offer." — Ernst. 8) :smt041 smt125

On another topic re: EAP Society review:

Absolutely love the passion by Jamie; he is indeed living up to the goals of The EAP Society. smt200 smt201 :smt045
We are lucky to have Jamie amongst us and advocating. JMO, but I think that Graceland/Sony/Ernst/FTD, etc., (any or all of them) would be well served by having Jamie aboard and helping to guide in some capacity.

"Heavy is the head, that wears the crown" 👑 (By Tommy :wink: of Don't Cry Daddy) And IMO Jamie can (now) help them along the way. :smt023. (Of this I have no doubt.)

(Nothing but respect and appreciation for Jamie & Co. 🫡 .)

PS — (edits), JMO, but I thought the panel of three (in the Graceland-Memphis event) looked a bit nervous at times — swiveling side-to-side in their chairs . . . . and Ernst (IMO) looked to be in a hurry to get off that stage at the very end (as Tom was doing the outros). But, the host Tom was as always very gracious and supportive (i.e., of course, nothing to worry about).
Last edited by Yamaguchi.Y on Thu Aug 15, 2024 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

RKSNASHVILLE
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

JeroenNL wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:06 pm

Are there overdubbed horns, strings, female voices on the 69 tracks on the physical product as there is on the streaming versions?

Thanks
RKS

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:46 pm
On YouTube tonight.

.https://www.youtube.com/live/56LNyFFvf0c?si=HE4OukJJZ9CCHzWc.

I like Ernst's closing comments regarding Danny Boy tonight.
It is the best version of the song I've ever heard, I thought so back in the '70's when I first heard his version, it just got even better with this release !

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Actually, Ernst's story regarding his meeting with Felton and Felton praising Elvis's just recorded version of Danny Boy, reminds me of Felton running in to Bob Dylan and raving about Elvis's just recorded version of "Only The Strong Survive" ! I agree wholeheartedly with Felton ! 😊

kanishknishar
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by kanishknishar »

Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:41 am
IMO, the sound on the box set is fantastic. But I can't get passed the awful mess of Suspicious Minds, this is surely a mistake not detected before release ?

And the very poor edit on Any Day Now. Hopefully if they're mistakes they can be rectified. 😬 🤞

Goodness it really is egregious at 01:23. Oof. How did that get passed quality testing...

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:12 pm
Absolutely love the passion by Jamie; he is indeed living up to the goals of The EAP Society. smt200 smt201 :smt045
We are lucky to have Jamie amongst us and advocating. JMO, but I think that Graceland/Sony/Ernst/FTD, etc., (any or all of them) would be well served by having Jamie aboard and helping to guide in some capacity.
Certainly agree with that statement. Jamie has always been one of the good ones and his commitment to keeping Elvis' memory alive over the years through his own music and he and John's podcast are commendable. He is a class act for sure.

pmp

Post by pmp »

So, when it comes to the Stax recordings, are they the undubbed masters? I Got a Feelin' In My Body isn't the master version, is it? The guitar at thr beginning is complete different - or was the guitar lick we're used to added later? Either way, the backing vocals appear to be singing in the bathroom down the corridor.

And why are the backing vocals complete removed from Talk About the Good Times, when they play such a vital role in the chorus? They're in other tracks from Stax, and the alternate takes. Have they been excised just to be different? If so, MR-S has no clue about the history of the music Elvis is singing, or how the kind of call and answer that Elvis has with the backing vocalists during this number was such a fundamental part of the gospel tradition he loved. What next, a remix of His Hand in Mine where Elvis solo throughout?

Sounds like a mess to me.
Last edited by pmp on Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

pmp wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:37 am
So, when it comes to the Stax recordings, are they the undubbed masters? I Got a Feelin' In My Body isn't the master version, is it? The guitar at thr beginning is complete different - or was the guitar lick we're used to added later? Either way, the backing vocals appear to be singing in the bathroom down the corridor.

And why are the backing vocals complete removed from Talk About the Good Times, when they play such a vital role in the chorus? They're in other tracks from Stax.

Regarding I Got A Feelin' In My Body, keith flynn lists there was a band overdub. So a guitar intro wouldnt be out of the question

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

pmp

Post by pmp »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:47 am
pmp wrote:

And why are the backing vocals complete removed from Talk About the Good Times, when they play such a vital role in the chorus? They're in other tracks from Stax.

Regarding I Got A Feelin' In My Body, keith flynn lists there was a band overdub. So a guitar intro wouldnt be out of the question
Thanks, but the guitar intro sounds present and correct on the alternate takes that have been issued (albeit in slight variations of the master).

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

pmp wrote:

And why are the backing vocals complete removed from Talk About the Good Times, when they play such a vital role in the chorus? They're in other tracks from Stax, and the alternate takes. Have they been excised just to be different? If so, MR-S has no clue about the history of the music Elvis is singing, or how the kind of call and answer that Elvis has with the backing vocalists during this number was such a fundamental part of the gospel tradition he loved. What next, a remix of His Hand in Mine where Elvis solo throughout?

There's two guitar tracks playing on the master - one the higher octave and one lower... it sounds like this mix uses the lower of the two at the start...

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

It doesn't sound like the master take to me.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:35 am
Now let's listen in to "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" sans the background vocals. As the song develops, Elvis' voice is a tad weak on this mix, but less reverbed than the original master.

Somebody will make up a composite on this and the "Our Memories of Elvis", mix and add it here :D

Since you picked up this track to “listen” in on, do you hear what I’m hearing when I ask do you notice something about Elvis’ vocal at the end of some of the lines (sentence) ???

Get back to me on that one in particular.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

There is a guitar overdub used on “Talk About The Good Times”.

Find Out What Happening ? Yes like, what happened to the drums on this “New” mix???

If You Don’t Come Back
Just A Little Bit
???

Where are the freakin drums? The meat and potatoes of these tunes that are so tight and distinctive in the originals.

Moody Blue ?? Ronnie’s awesome drum work, especially the hi hat and snare, mixed way too low, just sounds like a muddled mess.

Way Down? Another disappointment.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

dsiciliano
Registered for: 8 months
Mood:

Post by dsiciliano »

Here is the listening session from just a few hours ago down in memphis. After hearing how and why these mixes came about, I must say, I stand corrected on my rush to judgement on commenting on these mixes. These folks are Dedicated purists with such love and respect for the man and his music. Thank you Ernst and Matt for continuing to present us with such amazing work. Here is that listening session if you care to see it....

https://www.youtube.com/live/56LNyFFvf0c?si=2CYTHUOGLW29WlCw

Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

Just watched up to the playthrough of Suspicious Minds. Are they somehow not noticing, or just flat out ignoring the sync issues with that track? Unbelievable.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:04 pm
Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:40 pm

8) smt200 smt201 :smt045 :smt023

This is a good review !

What's the chances of Disc 2 being replaced ?
yes i remember Jamie. He used to be active member here. Am watching his vid now.