minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by minkahed »

henryneill wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:00 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:28 am
lets have a good listen in to If You Talk in Your Sleep now.

Yes, it's different mix with more of the organ, NOT Bad or Good , but different, perhaps the fade-out could have been longer, however.
I love it :smt007

Very disapointing that they mixed out Elvis' laughing at the end again. It was heard lound and clear on the original single release from 1974, but was mixed out on almost (?) all releases we have on CD today. If the goal was to present the songs as Elvis' heard them in the studio, this is an even stranger decision.
The laugh that you mention is available on the 1984 cd, Elvis’ Gold Records, Volume 5.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by YDKM »

Well I just recieved the box set and just put disc #3 in the player. First thing I noticed was the different sounds- simpler.
Some songs I do not like the fade out on.Or the Organ on the first track. Most sound good though, less complicated or less cluttered.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

Mike in New Jersey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:39 am
Just watched up to the playthrough of Suspicious Minds. Are they somehow not noticing, or just flat out ignoring the sync issues with that track? Unbelievable.
Mike, We are thinking the same thing, I’m watching and thinking to myself do these guys not hear what we are?

Embarrassing.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

draig goch
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by draig goch »

Halfway through this set and I have to say I still prefer in most cases the original sound with dubbed strings . backing vocals....etc. Perhaps it is because being a fan and collector for so long this was the sound I grew up with . Does anybody else feel this way?

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Well apart from the different sound of 'don't cry daddy' on disc #2 I did not notice much difference than having heard all this many times before! Yes I did notice further through listening to 'suspicious minds' some guitar note problems. . But quite honestly I bet a lot of 'casual' listeners may not even notice anything out of order! Certainly do not expect a replacement disc! I must admit as being quite surprised by the sheer number of seriously sad songs on disc #2 .(way more than half the disc!) Seriously sad listening!!! And cannot understand why 'Hey Jude' is even on the disc?
Maybe next week I can listen to the other discs but my feeling is I almost probably could have saved my money and not bought it as way, WAY too much duplication with past discs I have bought! Fine for someone who has not got past discs to play though- a mainstream designed release.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Mister Mike »

I would have taken "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" over "Hey Jude" any day of the week and twice on Sunday....

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by pmp »

With regards to replacement discs, it seems odd that Sony create them and send them out for their classical mega boxes when one or two discs have relatively minor issues, but Elvis sets don't get them. And the mega boxes average out at about £1.50 per disc. It all seems to be down to the producer.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by Scoobie »

This set is very odd. The work they have done on “Don’t Cry Daddy” is just strange, I can’t decide if I like this set or not. The last disc is good, but I just don’t listen to this part of his career very often. The concert disc is very different to previous releases and I like it. I consider this set as an alternative listening experience but not essential or better than what has gone before.

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by JeroenNL »

The new mix of the 74 concert is fantastic. Please compare 'Let Me Be There' from the Legacy release to this new mix by Matt. The latter wins hands down.

The legacy has the tambourine way to prominent in the mix, the drums too much in the back, too much trebble and too little piano. The new mix has a perfect ballance with great accents on various instruments throughout. The audience is mixed perfectly so we get to hear reactions to what Elvis is doing on stage.

Great job by Matt and enjoying this concert very much this way.

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

elvisalisellers wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:20 pm
Similar multitrack layout as the Ross-Spang mix:

Organ/Guitar/Piano - L (some light bleed in the right channel)
Vocal - Centre
Drums - Off centre
Bass - R

Processing is lighter and comes devoid of the layer of noise that is a characteristic of much of Ross-Spang's work [another generation in the audio chain results when mixing in analog from digital transfers].

https://we.tl/t-2JK6VOic36
Hi,
may i please request a new link i missed it first time round to download.

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:56 pm
elvisalisellers wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:14 pm
today wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:30 am
elvisalisellers wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:40 pm
Modified version of Ross-Spang's mix of "Promised Land" [again, characterised by a layer of tape hiss due to his insistency of mixing in analogue].

Elvis' vocal raised/delay effect reduced
Lead guitar amplified
Organ reduction
Presence applied to drum track
Narrower stereo spread

https://we.tl/t-RCV8oDLJ9g
Sounds interesting! Did anyone get this one? Missed out on it. Anyone able to repost?
https://we.tl/t-FViyBdihYU
Thank you elvisalisellers,this is so much better than the official one :cheers:
The bloody organ drove me crazy :|
Wish the song didnt have so quick fadeout….25+ years ago Sony/BMG or whoever issued the song
with a later (but quicker) fadeout on many releases but that didnt last.

Strange but everytime I hear For The Heart my mind thinks the first 3-4 seconds is louder than what comes next…weird how my brain works….or not working at all :roll:
Glad you liked it.
It's still not great in my view but there's only so much you can do with an inferior mix.
skabillyrebels wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:08 pm
elvisalisellers wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:20 pm
Similar multitrack layout as the Ross-Spang mix:

Organ/Guitar/Piano - L (some light bleed in the right channel)
Vocal - Centre
Drums - Off centre
Bass - R

Processing is lighter and comes devoid of the layer of noise that is a characteristic of much of Ross-Spang's work [another generation in the audio chain results when mixing in analog from digital transfers].

https://we.tl/t-2JK6VOic36
Hi,
may i please request a new link i missed it first time round to download.
https://we.tl/t-PEbTL7dmZn

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

Hi elvisalisellers,

Thank you.

Igotstung
Registered for: 9 months

Post by Igotstung »

As I said earlier, there are more things to like in this set than to dislike.

Elvis' vocals shine more than any other mainstream release, and that to me is the most important takeaway.

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by JeroenNL »

Love the new mix on ‘She Wears My Ring’. Elvis’ voice sounds so clear from the start: nicely restored by Matt. The mandolin-like guitar on the instrumental break is fantastic. You can hear it very very faintly on the overdubbed master (and on the 'Our Memories Of Elvis' album version) and it is totally absent on the undubbed master as released by FTD but here it shines in all its glory. This song was never a favorite of mine but it is now.
Last edited by JeroenNL on Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

after seeing and listening to the entire question and answer session i was very impressed they all clearly are dedicated to their work .
interesting to hear as few new bits of info about when Ernst ended up in Johnson City in March 1976 aged 26 years old (does that mean he is now aged 74!?) crikey!..... i do like a lot several tracks on this new release, but 'undubbed' is something we have had most of this before, therefore its not new to my ears.

You Don't Know Me!

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

YDKM wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:52 am
after seeing and listening to the entire question and answer session i was very impressed they all clearly are dedicated to their work .
interesting to hear as few new bits of info about when Ernst ended up in Johnson City in March 1976 aged 26 years old (does that mean he is now aged 74!?) crikey!..... i do like a lot several tracks on this new release, but 'undubbed' is something we have had most of this before, therefore its not new to my ears.
It would still be nice to have a 3-CD Johnson City set with Ernst his recollection of the March 17th show.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Wayfarer »

Brian Quinn wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:41 am
In today's Midweek UK Album Charts Elvis features twice:

'Elvis - 30 No.1 Hits at No.36
Elvis 'Memphis' Boxset a new entry at No. 51

Brian

Thank you, Brian. As you know, Elvis sales for these less-well known items, such as "Memphis," tend to be front-loaded, so initial sales will be unlikely to be sustained for the rest of the week, but I hope we still have a top 75 entry, at best. We'll know at 7pm today when the chart is issued.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

This baby just arrived :smt026. www.amazon.es is cool, only 28.55 euros on preorder! smt131. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by TCB-FAN »

"Repaired" version of Don't Cry Daddy. Single vocal version from the newly released Ross-Spang mix. :smt023 :smt023

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

JohnnyByeBye
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by JohnnyByeBye »

Mike Windgren wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:50 pm
Hi there!! :D :D :D.

This baby just arrived :smt026. www.amazon.es is cool, only 28.55 euros on preorder! smt131. Bye for now :smt006.

Thanks for the photo Mike,it made this set look very tempting. Unfortunately the price of the set seems to have gone up a amazon.es, but I was still able to order it for the 28 eur price from amazon.it!

Just realized after reading all the comments that having new mixes of the same ole tunes usually feels like hearing them for the first time,so for better or for worse,I need to hear this set. :)

Thank to you guys for pointing the place to buy it from,FECC does rock! :)

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

What I’m now discovering is the original master single that went to #1 can’t be found on Amazon music. Good grief!

L Ray
Registered for: 17 years

Post by L Ray »

Kylan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:52 am
What I’m now discovering is the original master single that went to #1 can’t be found on Amazon music. Good grief!
It’s there, on the 16 track version of From Elvis In Memphis.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Kylan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:52 am

https://music.amazon.com/tracks/B086Q8YQYT

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Mike in New Jersey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:39 am
Just watched up to the playthrough of Suspicious Minds. Are they somehow not noticing, or just flat out ignoring the sync issues with that track? Unbelievable.
I wager that they're "ignoring" the sync fault. Now, there's a lot riding on the Memphis box being a walk- up- start -commercial- winner.

It's vitally important (regardless on how we feel about some the mixes) that this thing, plus other mainstream releases, sells and attracts the general and casual fans alike. It could pave the way for Disney Style ELVIS ON TOUR extended three day production.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

TCB-FAN wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:35 pm
"Repaired" version of Don't Cry Daddy. Single vocal version from the newly released Ross-Spang mix. :smt023 :smt023

well now that's much better. Even if its mono medium.