Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:35 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:29 am
TCB-FAN wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:35 pm
"Repaired" version of Don't Cry Daddy. Single vocal version from the newly released Ross-Spang mix. :smt023 :smt023
well now that's much better. Even if its mono medium.
Shame that I can only listen to this on YT,that means not only poor quality on YT itself (compressed lossy)
but also only on my old poor sounding laptop with rotten speakers.
So I wont bother.
do you have software called Audacity? You should be able to make up your own mono (or whatever mixes that sound cool to you) you like from your Memphis copy.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

ElvisMixer wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:43 pm

I managed to remove all the additional background, replaced the vocals which have been brought forward slightly. Guitar has been toned down a little. Enjoy!
good on you Elvismixer.

Will you be able to work/fix up on "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" and "Never Again" ?

The former might work if you can combine OMOE volume one with the 2024 mix so as to pan the background vocals to the right channel.

ParadiseRoad
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by ParadiseRoad »

Being well aware that I’m quite late on commenting on the box set, I’d just like to say that I absolutely love it. While It’s definitely not flawless, and perhaps marred by a few mistakes, weird omission af a few tracks, or in places too much artistic creativity, it is IMHO the best sounding and one of the most well themed compilations of Elvis recordings so far. That said, I’m no completist of Elvis’ recordings (I have for example no intention of watching every single Elvis movie or getting every FTD) even though I’ve been a full blown Elvis fan for 45 years. To me the new mixes has brought a closeness of the sound, a presence and a feeling of almost having Elvis in the room with you, is what blows me away, especially when listening to disc 2.

As mentioned before the set is not without its flaws, but (taking the risk of getting a bit too existential or philosophical) neither was Elvis, nor am I, so I personally see no reason to get disappointed or upset about it.

All the best to all of you

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

ParadiseRoad wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:41 am
Being well aware that I’m quite late on commenting on the box set, I’d just like to say that I absolutely love it. While It’s definitely not flawless, and perhaps marred by a few mistakes, weird omission af a few tracks, or in places too much artistic creativity, it is IMHO the best sounding and one of the most well themed compilations of Elvis recordings so far. That said, I’m no completist of Elvis’ recordings (I have for example no intention of watching every single Elvis movie or getting every FTD) even though I’ve been a full blown Elvis fan for 45 years. To me the new mixes has brought a closeness of the sound, a presence and a feeling of almost having Elvis in the room with you, is what blows me away, especially when listening to disc 2.

As mentioned before the set is not without its flaws, but (taking the risk of getting a bit too existential or philosophical) neither was Elvis, nor am I, so I personally see no reason to get disappointed or upset about it.

Good post, but I don’t think people are necessarily getting really upset.We just want them to get it right.

It’s just that we want Elvis’s legacy and music to be presented with the highest regard and artistic integrity to be available for the masses that were there from the start, The middle, the post death fans and future generations at retail and that Elvis had hoped for in his music.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

minkahed wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:56 am
ElvisMixer wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:33 am
Most welcome my friend, I just used the base from the "Elvis : Memphis" boxset and replaced the vocals from the FTD "From Elvis at American Sound Studio". I was watching the live feed from Graceland on Wednesday evening, via the chat people were saying they didn't like vocals for Don't Cry Daddy. Also the guitar sync issues with Suspicious Minds.
When I mixed "Don't Cry Daddy" I also noticed that there is a change in speed from the original, the new mix is faster by 0.80, makes you wonder what the actual speeds are. Thanks - Mark
Is it Just me or does Find Out What’s Happening sound a bit slower than the album version?
When Sony digitally archives Elvis multitracks in the modern era, do they utilize Plangent Processes technology to ensure the performance is preserved in the exact pitch the song was performed?

If not, the tape speed differences observed could result from one more analog tape machines not running precisely at true speed -- including the original recorder, the mix down playback transports and the analog / digital multitrack archival transfer machines. Mr. Ross-Spang also apparently prints tape in the analog domain which could add another potential machine transport speed error.

The only way to ensure 100% correct pitch (i.e. exactly the way Elvis and band performed it) is to utilize Plangent Processes technology because it resolves the ultra-sonic bias frequency laid down by the original recorder. Plangent software makes corrections based on bias anomalies which brings off-speed musical content in lock-step to correct pitch.

The Grateful Dead CD producers use Plangent to great effect on all their releases. It would be an embarrassment if Elvis' recordings are being released commercially by Legacy in 2024 with tape speed errors when the technology exists to correct the issue and achieve 100% correct pitch/speed.

Swedish
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by Swedish »

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:26 pm
When Sony digitally archives Elvis multitracks in the modern era, do they utilize Plangent Processes technology to ensure the performance is preserved in the exact pitch the song was performed?

If not, the tape speed differences observed could result from one more analog tape machines not running precisely at true speed -- including the original recorder, the mix down playback transports and the analog / digital multitrack archival transfer machines. Mr. Ross-Spang also apparently prints tape in the analog domain which could add another potential machine transport speed error.

The only way to ensure 100% correct pitch (i.e. exactly the way Elvis and band performed it) is to utilize Plangent Processes technology because it resolves the ultra-sonic bias frequency laid down by the original recorder. Plangent software makes corrections based on bias anomalies which brings off-speed musical content in lock-step to correct pitch.

The Grateful Dead CD producers use Plangent to great effect on all their releases. It would be an embarrassment if Elvis' recordings are being released commercially by Legacy in 2024 with tape speed errors when the technology exists to correct the issue and achieve 100% correct pitch/speed.
But Sony don't seem to want to put that kind of energy (money) into E, maybe because we buy these CD anyway & give Sony profit to continue with equally low interest in improvement of E's releaser with as (for Sony) little overhead as possible ;)

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

ParadiseRoad
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by ParadiseRoad »

minkahed wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:05 pm
ParadiseRoad wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:41 am

Good post, but I don’t think people are necessarily getting really upset.We just want them to get it right.

It’s just that we want Elvis’s legacy and music to be presented with the highest regard and artistic integrity to be available for the masses that were there from the start, The middle, the post death fans and future generations at retail and that Elvis had hoped for in his music.
I can fully appreciate that everyone wants to get it right, which I’m sure Ernst and Matt Ross Spang do as well. I think the problem is that it’s virtually impossible to get it right for each and everyone since I think that what’s right differs, even so slightly, between all of us. If that even if we had Elvis here deciding what he thought was the absolutely right mix of each and every track, I’m sure a lot of people would strongly disagree.

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Wayfarer »

ElvisMixer wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:20 am
0.80% isn't much but it does make a massive difference by the time you start getting further in to the track
My mix of Moody Blue the vocals were sped up by 0.15%, again nothing much, but making severely out of sync.
May I assume therefore that Moody Blue on the Memphis album is pretty much at the correct speed (the Plangent process excepting)? That would be good news for me as I am really enjoying it. The all-in-it-together mix of Elvis and his backing singers makes this my favourite mix of Moody Blue so far. It's almost like the free, unfettered group sound that Elvis liked in the studio. For me, it's a rousing chorus now that adds to this track.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

ParadiseRoad wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:23 am
minkahed wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:05 pm
wrote:ParadiseRoad post_id=1988499 time=1724053308 user_id=15984]

ParadiseRoad:
I can fully appreciate that everyone wants to get it right, which I’m sure Ernst and Matt Ross Spang do as well. I think the problem is that it’s virtually impossible to get it right for each and everyone since I think that what’s right differs, even so slightly, between all of us. If that even if we had Elvis here deciding what he thought was the absolutely right mix of each and every track, I’m sure a lot of people would strongly disagree.

I agree, tastes for kinds of mixes vary, and this box-set delivers mixes that will be superseded someday by other versions, with another element from the tapes raised or lowered or spatially moved in the palatte. This set is more for the more mainstream listener, but there's no doubt that the deepest of fans were thought about too. It's just that the producers and Matt, with the right intentions about delivering something to the fans, actually made more questionable decisions (and some might even be unchecked errors) for this set, than they did with the Back in Nashville, Elvis on Tour set, 1969 concerts and all others over recent years.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:14 pm
sweetangeline wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:42 pm
Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:04 pm
What's the chances of Disc 2 being replaced ?
on a mainstream release...are you kidding??

100% not happening!!

...also 4 of the 6 tracks are also on the vinyl so should we get a vinyl replacement?? Again, not happening. We will know by the end of this week approximately how many copies sold so just think about what the number could potentially be?? Who is going to cover those costs?? Nobody.
Shouldn't have been released like it in the first place ! If it's a mistake which seems pretty clear that it is it should be corrected.
Sony should cover the cost, its not rocket science , is it ?

Somebody should ask Ernst about the out of sync tracks on Suspicious Minds at Elvis week, if he's there, of course.
The rest of the box set, imo, is superb, Graceland session tracks are fabulous.
Dan-T - This is what I'm feeling, too. The sessions from 1976 never sounded as good as they are on here. At times, I felt moved by the tone - and Elvis does sound literally at home - of these recordings. I could listen to each of these tracks at any time; they now shine for me like they never did before. We could compare the singer and his song with someone or something else, or regret with should/coulda/woulda, but free of those thoughts, these performances now feel warmer, more interesting and appealing.

chop983
Registered for: 10 years

Post by chop983 »

Wayfarer wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:54 pm
Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:14 pm
sweetangeline wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:42 pm
Dan_T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:04 pm
What's the chances of Disc 2 being replaced ?
on a mainstream release...are you kidding??

100% not happening!!

...also 4 of the 6 tracks are also on the vinyl so should we get a vinyl replacement?? Again, not happening. We will know by the end of this week approximately how many copies sold so just think about what the number could potentially be?? Who is going to cover those costs?? Nobody.
Shouldn't have been released like it in the first place ! If it's a mistake which seems pretty clear that it is it should be corrected.
Sony should cover the cost, its not rocket science , is it ?

Somebody should ask Ernst about the out of sync tracks on Suspicious Minds at Elvis week, if he's there, of course.
The rest of the box set, imo, is superb, Graceland session tracks are fabulous.
Dan-T - This is what I'm feeling, too. The sessions from 1976 never sounded as good as they are on here. At times, I felt moved by the tone - and Elvis does sound literally at home - of these recordings. I could listen to each of these tracks at any time; they now shine for me like they never did before. We could compare the singer and his song with someone or something else, or regret with should/coulda/woulda, but free of those thoughts, these performances now feel warmer, more interesting and appealing.
A 2025 release on the recordings on FTD, then a main label on in 2026

bajo

Post by bajo »

After having time to listen closely to the set, I must admit I like it more than I thought I would! :smt020

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

JohnnyByeBye
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by JohnnyByeBye »

These more positive comments about the set are truly music ito my ears. Just got e-mail today from amazon.it thst they have shipped my set... the anticipation is building up! :)

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

There's another take by Rick/Elvis A to Z on his channel, the "good" and "improved" tracks he's got down on his closing comments lists, it outweighs the bad :D

NEW! Elvis Presley "Memphis" Boxset Review #6----𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐎? 𝐖𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐍𝐎 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐎..

Now, as an aside question, did they get Ronnie Tutt's name put in the credits this time ?

Because there has been mainstream releases in the past where they lacked proof-reading on the credits section and booklet information notes.

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 5 months
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

I got my copy the day after the official release date. My impression is positive, overall, in spite of some of the lo-lights. Matt Ross-Spang has managed to make these tracks sound just as full as what the original overdubs did.

LO-LIGHTS:
Suspicious minds - the out of sync guitar would make the listener think that this may be a quality control issue.

Lovin' Arms - Elvis' powerhouse vocals get really lost in the reverb, as where it's way up front where it belongs on the "Good Times" FTD.

Moody Blue - I much prefer the rough mix on the FTD classic album, where Elvis' vocals really shine making him sound three to four years younger. The imperfections during the extended part didn't bother me.
"MEMPHIS" makes it sound as if he's relying on the backing vocals which almost drown him out, even during the extended last minute.

I Got A Feelin' In My Body - now this version really needed the backing vocalists, given it's gospel feel.

HIGHLIGHTS:
After Loving You - "MEMPHIS" really does this punchy number the world of justice.

Power of My Love - I loved the inclusion of the harmonica, putting back the funk into this in tune which the "Elvis In Memphis" FTD was lacking.

Wearin' That Loved On Look - Elvis' strumming on the acoustic guitar really adds to the rhythm of this rocker.

I'll hold You In My Heart...... - This remix really brings forth Elvis' blistering vocal (during the line "If You'd Only Know The Reason Why") back to the forefront, whereas the original album mix left it floundering in way back in the proverbial toilet cubical.

Any Day Now - the undubbed version on the "From Elvis In Memphis" FTD was screaming out "please overdub me"!!!
So "MEMPHIS" to the rescue, which now features the acoustic single strums in time with the bass drum.

Promised Land - This mix still makes this rocker motor along like a well oiled machine. So it's still a highlight nonetheless. Yes, the organ is noticeable, but it's nowhere near as upfront as what the disastrous mix on the "Our Memories" FTD portrays.

My Boy - The upfront piano fills really give this number a new kind of rhythmic flavour.

For The Heart - Some of the new guitar picks gives this rare-for-the-time swinging rocker a taste of country, like the outtakes. But what I really love about this is the new groove the piano gives at around the 3:00 minute mark, as well as the extended ending.

It's Easy For You - at last Elvis' vocals are more upfront at the beginning. All the while I thought Elvis was holding the mike too far away, listening to the original mixes.

Honourable mentions also to Raised On Rock, Find Out What's Happening, If You Don't Come Back, If You Talk In Your Sleep, Way Down, Pledging My Love, Talk About The Good Times and Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues.

javierTCB
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by javierTCB »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:42 am
Now, as an aside question, did they get Ronnie Tutt's name put in the credits this time ?

Because there has been mainstream releases in the past where they lacked proof-reading on the credits section and booklet information notes.
Yes. Credits on pages 28 (Disc 3, Stax ´73), 29 (Disc 4, The Homecoming Concert) and 30 (Disc 5, Graceland ´76).

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days
And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need is a Change of Habit"

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Way Down Under wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:39 am
I got my copy the day after the official release date. My impression is positive, overall, in spite of some of the lo-lights. Matt Ross-Spang has managed to make these tracks sound just as full as what the original overdubs did.

LO-LIGHTS:
Suspicious minds - the out of sync guitar would make the listener think that this may be a quality control issue.

Lovin' Arms - Elvis' powerhouse vocals get really lost in the reverb, as where it's way up front where it belongs on the "Good Times" FTD.

Moody Blue - I much prefer the rough mix on the FTD classic album, where Elvis' vocals really shine making him sound three to four years younger. The imperfections during the extended part didn't bother me.
"MEMPHIS" makes it sound as if he's relying on the backing vocals which almost drown him out, even during the extended last minute.

I Got A Feelin' In My Body - now this version really needed the backing vocalists, given it's gospel feel.

HIGHLIGHTS:
After Loving You - "MEMPHIS" really does this punchy number the world of justice.

Power of My Love - I loved the inclusion of the harmonica, putting back the funk into this in tune which the "Elvis In Memphis" FTD was lacking.

Wearin' That Loved On Look - Elvis' strumming on the acoustic guitar really adds to the rhythm of this rocker.

I'll hold You In My Heart...... - This remix really brings forth Elvis' blistering vocal (during the line "If You'd Only Know The Reason Why") back to the forefront, whereas the original album mix left it floundering in way back in the proverbial toilet cubical.

Any Day Now - the undubbed version on the "From Elvis In Memphis" FTD was screaming out "please overdub me"!!!
So "MEMPHIS" to the rescue, which now features the acoustic single strums in time with the bass drum.

Promised Land - This mix still makes this rocker motor along like a well oiled machine. So it's still a highlight nonetheless. Yes, the organ is noticeable, but it's nowhere near as upfront as what the disastrous mix on the "Our Memories" FTD portrays.

My Boy - The upfront piano fills really give this number a new kind of rhythmic flavour.

For The Heart - Some of the new guitar picks gives this rare-for-the-time swinging rocker a taste of country, like the outtakes. But what I really love about this is the new groove the piano gives at around the 3:00 minute mark, as well as the extended ending.

It's Easy For You - at last Elvis' vocals are more upfront at the beginning. All the while I thought Elvis was holding the mike too far away, listening to the original mixes.

Honourable mentions also to Raised On Rock, Find Out What's Happening, If You Don't Come Back, If You Talk In Your Sleep, Way Down, Pledging My Love, Talk About The Good Times and Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues.
I’m really glad you’re enjoying the new set, but I couldn’t disagree more.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:42 am
There's another take by Rick/Elvis A to Z on his channel, the "good" and "improved" tracks he's got down on his closing comments lists, it outweighs the bad :D

NEW! Elvis Presley "Memphis" Boxset Review #6----𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐎? 𝐖𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐍𝐎 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐎..

Mono???

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 11 years
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

I must say that this release is one of my favorite for a long time! The sound is often great and do justice to a lot of songs and most importantly, to Elvis'vocals. A few exceptions of course, 111 tracks, how could it be different? But a lot of good, very good, and, thanks to the mixing, a lot of exceptional too. Long black limousine, After loving you, I got a feelin in my body, Raised on rock, Don't cry daddy (I like the choices that were made!) Blue eyes crying in the rain, Way Down, Never again (underrated masterpiece, equal to a Piaf tune), Danny boy (same), For the heart, It's easy for you, too many to cite them all, what a pleasure to listen. It sounds fresh, revitalized, and even sometimes very contemporary, the mixes gives a modern feel I was missing for a long time in Elvis'discography. The drums are so alive, the spectrum of the sound most of the time carefully managed, the guitars have a dynamic, just great :-)

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

good one Jaime1234,

The tides are turning, my friends, and the positives are out-weighing the negatives now it seems :smt023

Good to see, as it augurs well for the future (like maybe a six hours extended version for Elvis n Tour :D )

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

@princelvisjackson88‬ has come to the party and put up online his detailed CD box and LP edition summary...

except he's bypassed disc one "it wasn't remastered" he says.

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

I am pretty sure, the material was taken from the "A Boy From Tupelo" boxed set. Everything on "Memphis" was remastered by Vic Anesini, except for disc one. However, the recordings sound great and I am sure, the minor improvements (if there were any) didn't justify the amount of work.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

well the review just posted is interesting and 'in depth', but i was just surprised in his mentioning of 'promised land' that he gave NO MENTION of the prominent Organ sound!?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:43 am
I am pretty sure, the material was taken from the "A Boy From Tupelo" boxed set. Everything on "Memphis" was remastered by Vic Anesini, except for disc one. However, the recordings sound great and I am sure, the minor improvements (if there were any) didn't justify the amount of work.
well said. yeah that's probably right. Not a lot you can do with those Sun records, unless of course, you wanted to rewrite history to give these a stereo impression, which i do not support or agree on.