More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

YDKM wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:26 am
well the review just posted is interesting and 'in depth', but i was just surprised in his mentioning of 'promised land' that he gave NO MENTION of the prominent Organ sound!?
yes fans have been beating it up to the point that they're incensed. But i thought there was another mix with the organ before a number of years ago. Might've also been on a boot prior to that.

billy jack
Registered for: 1 month

Post by billy jack »

New to the forum. I immediately chose this topic because of the most recent release (even though there are also new FTDs). Many different opinions about this set.

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 11 years
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

billy jack wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:58 am
New to the forum. I immediately chose this topic because of the most recent release (even though there are also new FTDs). Many different opinions about this set.
Welcome :-)

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

here's another one by MJL3764. But he's less than impressed with the box.

The reviewers main beef is that it should have been a studio only 5cd not to have the mid-south coliseum 1974 concert.

Would you agree with the summary ?

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Wayfarer »

arnaudbxl wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:24 am
I must say that this release is one of my favorite for a long time! The sound is often great and do justice to a lot of songs and most importantly, to Elvis'vocals. A few exceptions of course, 111 tracks, how could it be different? But a lot of good, very good, and, thanks to the mixing, a lot of exceptional too. Long black limousine, After loving you, I got a feelin in my body, Raised on rock, Don't cry daddy (I like the choices that were made!) Blue eyes crying in the rain, Way Down, Never again (underrated masterpiece, equal to a Piaf tune), Danny boy (same), For the heart, It's easy for you, too many to cite them all, what a pleasure to listen. It sounds fresh, revitalized, and even sometimes very contemporary, the mixes gives a modern feel I was missing for a long time in Elvis'discography. The drums are so alive, the spectrum of the sound most of the time carefully managed, the guitars have a dynamic, just great :-)
That’s one of the features I welcomed in Matt’s mixes. I couldn’t help hearing a modern sound overall. Even though the set disappoints in places, there’s a lot to treasure. I think Matt’s personality really comes through in the contemporary feel of the recordings.

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Wayfarer »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:32 am
good one Jaime1234,

The tides are turning, my friends, and the positives are out-weighing the negatives now it seems :smt023

Good to see, as it augurs well for the future (like maybe a six hours extended version for Elvis n Tour :D )

I was pleased to see the set enter the UK chart at No.83; I think the position is the highest Elvis chart entry since "A Boy from Tupelo". It doesn't add to his tally of top 75 albums, but it's achieved a strike on the top 100. I would rather it reached the top 100 than missed it.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:59 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
good one Jaime1234,

The tides are turning, my friends, and the positives are out-weighing the negatives now it seems :smt023

Good to see, as it augurs well for the future (like maybe a six hours extended version for Elvis n Tour :D )

I was pleased to see the set enter the UK chart at No.83; I think the position is the highest Elvis chart entry since "A Boy from Tupelo". It doesn't add to his tally of top 75 albums, but it's achieved a strike on the top 100. I would rather it reached the top 100 than missed it.
it's really a fantastic result isn't it, given that this is a multi-disc product.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:01 pm
Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:59 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
good one Jaime1234,

it's really a fantastic result isn't it, given that this is a multi-disc product.

More good news in the UK

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2024/08/22/elvis-presley-and-frank-sinatra-return-to-the-same-chart-together/

strutmut
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by strutmut »

It is a really good sounding set.. But it is not indubbed like Elvis would've hear in his headphones.

If you listen to Movin' on (the slide guitar is an overdub) and you can hear a Tamborine and a Moog synth on its easy for you etc. So... I do like it, but it is not 100% correct...

billy jack
Registered for: 1 month

Post by billy jack »

strutmut wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:13 pm
It is a really good sounding set.. But it is not indubbed like Elvis would've hear in his headphones.

If you listen to Movin' on (the slide guitar is an overdub) and you can hear a Tamborine and a Moog synth on its easy for you etc. So... I do like it, but it is not 100% correct...

Another is ''Promised Land''. The undubbed master (take 6) as on FTD's Promised Land'' (2011) does not have the cow-bell. On this ''Memphis'' set, it does.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

So many flaws with this set, but I love it no matter what. (1/2 bottle of Vodka) !!!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

javierTCB wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:25 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:42 am
Now, as an aside question, did they get Ronnie Tutt's name put in the credits this time ?

Because there has been mainstream releases in the past where they lacked proof-reading on the credits section and booklet information notes.

Yes. Credits on pages 28 (Disc 3, Stax ´73), 29 (Disc 4, The Homecoming Concert) and 30 (Disc 5, Graceland ´76).

Somewhere, Ronald is crying tears of joy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:43 am
@princelvisjackson88‬ has come to the party and put up online his detailed CD box and LP edition summary...

except he's bypassed disc one "it wasn't remastered" he says.

Looks like "prince-elvis-jackson" doesn't know what he's talking about.

Mastered By – Sebastian Jeansson (tracks: CD1), Vic Anesini (tracks: CD2 to CD5)

https://www.discogs.com/release/31440011-Elvis-Memphis

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:24 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:43 am
@princelvisjackson88‬ has come to the party and put up online his detailed CD box and LP edition summary...

except he's bypassed disc one "it wasn't remastered" he says.

good one doctorjohncarpenter.

I'll let him know that.

Looks like "prince-elvis-jackson" doesn't know what he's talking about.

Mastered By – Sebastian Jeansson (tracks: CD1), Vic Anesini (tracks: CD2 to CD5)

https://www.discogs.com/release/31440011-Elvis-Memphis
Good on DJC.

I'll let him know later.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

to those of you all flabbergasted with Promised Land 2024 organ mix.

How was that any different to the one that appears on Our Memories of Elvis Volume three FTD ?

Was there negativity on a large scale, back then? C'mon !

lets line 'em up and listen carefully now :D

Last edited by Walter Hale 4 on Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 5 months
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

minkahed wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:04 pm
Way Down Under wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:39 am
I got my copy the day after the official release date. My impression is positive, overall, in spite of some of the lo-lights. Matt Ross-Spang has managed to make these tracks sound just as full as what the original overdubs did.

LO-LIGHTS:
Suspicious minds - the out of sync guitar would make the listener think that this may be a quality control issue.

Lovin' Arms - Elvis' powerhouse vocals get really lost in the reverb, as where it's way up front where it belongs on the "Good Times" FTD.

Moody Blue - I much prefer the rough mix on the FTD classic album, where Elvis' vocals really shine making him sound three to four years younger. The imperfections during the extended part didn't bother me.
"MEMPHIS" makes it sound as if he's relying on the backing vocals which almost drown him out, even during the extended last minute.

I Got A Feelin' In My Body - now this version really needed the backing vocalists, given it's gospel feel.

HIGHLIGHTS:
After Loving You - "MEMPHIS" really does this punchy number the world of justice.

Power of My Love - I loved the inclusion of the harmonica, putting back the funk into this in tune which the "Elvis In Memphis" FTD was lacking.

Wearin' That Loved On Look - Elvis' strumming on the acoustic guitar really adds to the rhythm of this rocker.

I'll hold You In My Heart...... - This remix really brings forth Elvis' blistering vocal (during the line "If You'd Only Know The Reason Why") back to the forefront, whereas the original album mix left it floundering in way back in the proverbial toilet cubical.

Any Day Now - the undubbed version on the "From Elvis In Memphis" FTD was screaming out "please overdub me"!!!
So "MEMPHIS" to the rescue, which now features the acoustic single strums in time with the bass drum.

Promised Land - This mix still makes this rocker motor along like a well oiled machine. So it's still a highlight nonetheless. Yes, the organ is noticeable, but it's nowhere near as upfront as what the disastrous mix on the "Our Memories" FTD portrays.

My Boy - The upfront piano fills really give this number a new kind of rhythmic flavour.

For The Heart - Some of the new guitar picks gives this rare-for-the-time swinging rocker a taste of country, like the outtakes. But what I really love about this is the new groove the piano gives at around the 3:00 minute mark, as well as the extended ending.

It's Easy For You - at last Elvis' vocals are more upfront at the beginning. All the while I thought Elvis was holding the mike too far away, listening to the original mixes.

Honourable mentions also to Raised On Rock, Find Out What's Happening, If You Don't Come Back, If You Talk In Your Sleep, Way Down, Pledging My Love, Talk About The Good Times and Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues.
I’m really glad you’re enjoying the new set, but I couldn’t disagree more.
I'm not alone in enjoying this ! On what points do you disagree???

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 5 months
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:38 pm

How was that any different to the one that appears on Our Memories of Elvis Volume three FTD ?

The "Our Memories" mix was way over the top. As for the "MEMPHIS" mix, it's got more rocking energy, although the organ is still audible. It was probably mixed that way for a nostalgic '70's feel.

joeroberts
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by joeroberts »

I am listening to the master of Promised Land and was surprised at how much I liked it. I thought I didn’t like it. I can also hear the organ clearly through the entire song. You guys know the organ is in the original, right? On the right side with the lead guitar.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by frus75 »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:to those of you all flabbergasted with Promised Land 2024 organ mix.

Our memories of Elvis couldn’t be criticized in any way because it presented us a mix prepared way back then for the aborted third volume. All our memories of Elvis mixes are a disaster but ftd was delivering a rekease asnit was released and/or planned in 1979.

Problems with this box (honest view) start with going the undubbed way, and specially the malign tendency and take out elements that were recorded live.

NO. and NO. Why is everybody on it's midnight and no vocalists on if you talk in your sleep (to name one). Can anyone explain to Matt that hearing the vocalists leaking gives the result an amateur flavor???

Cd 2 is the worst on the set. Some mixes are questionable etc, but for me the main mistake is going the undubbed route. Elvis always recorded to an eye on overdubbing, you can hear (and see him in on tour and TTWII) how he refers to where the vocalist would go, or the violins etc, and you can hear many a time an organ doing what then would be covered by orchestra overdubbing along the same lines. Besides, he always approved them, and as late as separate ways or promised land ditched out some overdubbed things.

But in 1969 it went to the point where they were putting horns and female voices etc in the morning on the same dates and studio. And even more… the masters sound like half made records without the rest of the elements.

To put it into perspective Imagine that you Take it's now or never for remixing. for some reason people who made it decided it needed a piano overdub. You come 60 years later and decide that that piano has to go away. OK. questionable but ok. You feel you have to deliver what Elvis heard in the studio and nothing more. Ok. But hey.. the jordanaires were there but why not? let's get them out of the way. But you'll still hear them leaking on other channels.

Remixed should try to present (like promised land 2000 tried) the masters as were released but in a better way.

That said, there are stax songs and Graceland songs very well done. As it’s the concert.
Last edited by frus75 on Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iván

La voz del Rey

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by jurasic1968 »

A six hours extended version for Elvis n Tour: a dream come true. Or it is The Impossible Dream?

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:38 pm
Nah,I have never liked the organ high in the mix not now and not in the 80s when I heard it for the first time on Stax Trax bootleg and even on a rare official release back then.That said it was much higher in the mix compared to the Memphis 2024 version.
Same with OMOE when we got it on that as well…..and yes theres been complaints about it before :lol:
Even TMAHM magazine have commented on it in their reviews back in the day…..bloody or awful organ they said.

Rangerdj
Registered for: 3 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by Rangerdj »

I was away on a business trip this week, and on the drive back played this set in the car. In one sitting, this set affected me differently.

drjohncarpenter

jurasic1968 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:43 pm
A six hours extended version for Elvis n Tour: a dream come true. Or it is The Impossible Dream?

Dreaming is free.

But you'll need to scale back expectations of something like that.

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:17 am
jurasic1968 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:43 pm

Dreaming is free.

But you'll need to scale back expectations of something like that.

:D
Hey Doc, Are you enjoying the new Memphis set?

Would love to get your thoughts.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

drjohncarpenter

minkahed wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:57 am
Hey Doc, Are you enjoying the new Memphis set?

Would love to get your thoughts.

Not yet!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.