Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Igotstung
Registered for: 10 months

Lisa Marie Presley and Riley Keough's Book: From Here to the Great Unknown

Post by Igotstung »

I have never been too interested in Elvis' family life, so read this book out of mild curiosity at best, and didn't have any expectations.

I was surprised at how moved I was when I finished. This is not a review, but more of first impressions without spoilers on first reading.

Riley Keough is a very good writer. Her prose is flowing with insightful narrative mixed with gentle wit, which, despite the most unusual lifestory she is telling, has intimate and relatable moments. Her contemplation on grief and family life is excellent. She is also very grounded and able to review her family history rationaly. She never dips in salaciousness or low hanging fruits of Elvislore and that makes it a refreshing read as far as celeb memoirs go.

Lisa's voice is also strong. Funny and heartbreaking, contemplative and reckless at the same time, it would be easy to dismiss her, as she herself calls " sad princess bullshit". Given how privileged she was, one would be tempted to roll their eyes at her self destruction, spiritual quests and angsty daddy issues. But her almost childlike brutal honesty stops one from being judgey. She freely acknowledges her inherently damaged persona. One wishes she was more self aware earlier in life. Even as we read about her life in her own words, we can see the pattern: problematic childhood, dependence on strong ( male) figures, her oscillating and unfocused work, her self destructive rebeliousness and her inherent refusal to ground herself even for her beloved children. But she was who she was, and her self criticism does make one wonder if with right support she could have brought happiness to her life.

As far Elvis is concerned, Lisa's time with her father seems to be the backbone of her life, for good or bad. Her intense love for him is evident, pure in its childlike adoration. Anecdotes are funny and heartfelt. The months leading to his death are truly heartbreaking, as the bratty little girl watches her beloved father slowly disintegrating. Elvis' parenting was terrible and he hardly comes across as an adult in the relationship. His deep love for her notwithstanding, the relationship did set her up for failure, as it was tough to escape the fascinating but ultimately damaging aura he set.

There are many shocking tales regarding other people in her life, celebs or not, but the overall tone is never gratuitous. Both the writers seem to want to learn something from these admittedly volatile experiences and that sets this book apart.

It is an eminently readable book, and as I mentioned earlier, unexpectedly moving one for me.

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Re: Lisa Marie Presley and Riley Keough's Book: From Here to the Great Unknown

Post by TINML »

I've got the audio book in my car, the narration by Julia Roberts so far is outstanding, and the little bit of audio I heard from LMP was bittersweet.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Topic author
Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

TINML wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2024 7:16 pm
I've got the audio book in my car, the narration by Julia Roberts so far is outstanding, and the little bit of audio I heard from LMP was bittersweet.
Yeah, heard that the audio book is also very well done.

T3ddy-be@r
Registered for: 5 months
Mood:

Post by T3ddy-be@r »

I enjoyed it I found Lisa's comments on Ginger and what happened after Elvis' death sad.

Pam G

billy jack
Registered for: 2 months

Post by billy jack »

I have the book, bit still haven’t read it. Any mention about Nicolas Cage?

Topic author
Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

billy jack wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:09 pm
I have the book, bit still haven’t read it. Any mention about Nicolas Cage?
Very brief.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Liverbobs »

I have the audiobook and am listening to it whilst I'm out jogging, I've also ordered the print version, thoroughly enjoying what I'm hearing so far, although I'm only at the part where Elvis and Priscilla split up. The "Goddam" bit made me burst out laughing (not a good look when you're jogging past several people out walking when this old dude jogging by just cracks up laughing ).

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Topic author
Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

Liverbobs wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:30 pm
I have the audiobook and am listening to it whilst I'm out jogging, I've also ordered the print version, thoroughly enjoying what I'm hearing so far, although I'm only at the part where Elvis and Priscilla split up. The "Goddam" bit made me burst out laughing (not a good look when you're jogging past several people out walking when this old dude jogging by just cracks up laughing ).
The Elvis anecdotes are so funny at times. Have you been to the part where he tries to chase rats from Lisa's room?

Lisa has great sense of humour. So does Riley, although hers is more subtle.

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

Just finished. It’s a terribly sad and one of a kind memoir, just like she was. It leaves you with a deep and strong feelings. It also gives a heartbreaking view on Lisa’s last 13 years, I had no idea she was that far in desperation.
Almost unbearable to read.

Priscilla is portrayed by Lisa with no pink glasses, I cannot imagine how Nona can feel with such a frontal portrait. But at the same time she somewhat remains a presence like a real life Bree Van De Kamp in LMP life. Linda Thompson gets credit for her sincere commitment to Elvis. Ginger Alden on the other side is thrown as a pure gold digger by Lisa, who eavesdropped her phone conversations at the time. Curious how those ladies will handle the follow up when LMP put them in such a crude light. She in fact internalized everything she saw, heard, felt when she was with her dad at Graceland and as she lay it all down for the first time, the book contains quite a few surprises for Elvis fans. The downfall of Elvis is a hard read too. But the one Lisa is the more unforgivable about is herself.
And what can one say about Riley? I already liked her but after reading the book and her incredible commitment to her family, I just admire her. What a strong, grounded and lucid woman.

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by TINML »

I am barely on Chapter 2 but her description of Ginger Alden especially the day Elvis passed was shocking to me. I always thought the jibes of her having done her hair and makeup were exaggerated or flat out lies peddled by people like Grob and the MM but her confirming it says it all.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Very sad, indeed.

Topic author
Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

arnaudbxl wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:21 pm
Just finished. It’s a terribly sad and one of a kind memoir, just like she was. It leaves you with a deep and strong feelings. It also gives a heartbreaking view on Lisa’s last 13 years, I had no idea she was that far in desperation.
Almost unbearable to read.

Priscilla is portrayed by Lisa with no pink glasses, I cannot imagine how Nona can feel with such a frontal portrait. But at the same time she somewhat remains a presence like a real life Bree Van De Kamp in LMP life. Linda Thompson gets credit for her sincere commitment to Elvis. Ginger Alden on the other side is thrown as a pure gold digger by Lisa, who eavesdropped her phone conversations at the time. Curious how those ladies will handle the follow up when LMP put them in such a crude light. She in fact internalized everything she saw, heard, felt when she was with her dad at Graceland and as she lay it all down for the first time, the book contains quite a few surprises for Elvis fans. The downfall of Elvis is a hard read too. But the one Lisa is the more unforgivable about is herself.
And what can one say about Riley? I already liked her but after reading the book and her incredible commitment to her family, I just admire her. What a strong, grounded and lucid woman.
I also walked away with respect for Riley. Seems that she has learnt the right lessons from her family history.

Topic author
Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

TINML wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:59 pm
I am barely on Chapter 2 but her description of Ginger Alden especially the day Elvis passed was shocking to me. I always thought the jibes of her having done her hair and makeup were exaggerated or flat out lies peddled by people like Grob and the MM but her confirming it says it all.
What I liked about the book was that they both don't linger on gossipy parts like this

Giovanni
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by Giovanni »

I just bought the book, & am looking forward to reading it this weekend...

Elvis is King!
Giovanni I

Liverbobs
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Liverbobs »

Igotstung wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:34 pm
Liverbobs wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:30 pm
The Elvis anecdotes are so funny at times. Have you been to the part where he tries to chase rats from Lisa's room?

Lisa has great sense of humour. So does Riley, although hers is more subtle.
I've just got to that part :D :D

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

TINML wrote:
Elvis requested that Ginger always look her best for him and she took to even sometimes sleeping with her make up on in order to do so. She has spoken about this before. Sure, it's unusual, but so is anything associated :D with Our Hero - especially in those later years. smt200 smt201
(I don't think there is anything sinister about it.)

What's telling is that nobody really liked Ginger or thought that she really cared about or was good for Elvis — except for Elvis himself that is.
Even Lisa had the same opinion as everyone else.

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Ginger was not good for Elvis. Linda was.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:32 am
Ginger was not good for Elvis. Linda was.
I very much agree. (Lisa really liked Linda a lot too.)
Had Linda not left (at Elvis' own instigation, I might add), August 16, 1977 very likely would have turned out differently (such things had happened multiple times before on her watch).
Linda's departure was an extremely fateful and critical turn of events.

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by Wayfarer »

Igotstung wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:59 pm
I have never been too interested in Elvis' family life, so read this book out of mild curiosity at best, and didn't have any expectations.

I was surprised at how moved I was when I finished. This is not a review, but more of first impressions without spoilers on first reading.

Riley Keough is a very good writer. Her prose is flowing with insightful narrative mixed with gentle wit, which, despite the most unusual lifestory she is telling, has intimate and relatable moments. Her contemplation on grief and family life is excellent. She is also very grounded and able to review her family history rationaly. She never dips in salaciousness or low hanging fruits of Elvislore and that makes it a refreshing read as far as celeb memoirs go.

Lisa's voice is also strong. Funny and heartbreaking, contemplative and reckless at the same time, it would be easy to dismiss her, as she herself calls " sad princess bullshit". Given how privileged she was, one would be tempted to roll their eyes at her self destruction, spiritual quests and angsty daddy issues. But her almost childlike brutal honesty stops one from being judgey. She freely acknowledges her inherently damaged persona. One wishes she was more self aware earlier in life. Even as we read about her life in her own words, we can see the pattern: problematic childhood, dependence on strong ( male) figures, her oscillating and unfocused work, her self destructive rebeliousness and her inherent refusal to ground herself even for her beloved children. But she was who she was, and her self criticism does make one wonder if with right support she could have brought happiness to her life.

As far Elvis is concerned, Lisa's time with her father seems to be the backbone of her life, for good or bad. Her intense love for him is evident, pure in its childlike adoration. Anecdotes are funny and heartfelt. The months leading to his death are truly heartbreaking, as the bratty little girl watches her beloved father slowly disintegrating. Elvis' parenting was terrible and he hardly comes across as an adult in the relationship. His deep love for her notwithstanding, the relationship did set her up for failure, as it was tough to escape the fascinating but ultimately damaging aura he set.

There are many shocking tales regarding other people in her life, celebs or not, but the overall tone is never gratuitous. Both the writers seem to want to learn something from these admittedly volatile experiences and that sets this book apart.

It is an eminently readable book, and as I mentioned earlier, unexpectedly moving one for me.
Thanks for these reflections. I'm going to prepare myself for this book when I get it. I had a lot of time for Lisa Marie and always rooted for her and was pleased she felt relieved that Baz portrayed her father with considerable respect and appreciation - even though a movie is a creative expression of a life. While autobiographies can be highly selective (the winners always write history), I sense from the comments so far that Lisa was refreshingly honest about herself when she recorded her tapes and that she perceived various issues in her life, and traced them back to her past as well as to her choices in the present. She sounds like she delievered a mature, visceral autobiography we can treasure, if with sadness.

eligain
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by eligain »

TINML wrote:
What Lisa writes about Ginger is exactly what we were hearing about her at the time from members of our fan club that followed the tours and would travel to hang out at the gates who got to know many from the group. It was also what we heard later from Elvis’ Denver police friends that said that Elvis was complaining about her to them.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I never believed that Elvis would marry Ginger. Never.

Topic author
Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

Wayfarer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:22 pm
Igotstung wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:59 pm

Thanks for these reflections. I'm going to prepare myself for this book when I get it. I had a lot of time for Lisa Marie and always rooted for her and was pleased she felt relieved that Baz portrayed her father with considerable respect and appreciation - even though a movie is a creative expression of a life. While autobiographies can be highly selective (the winners always write history), I sense from the comments so far that Lisa was refreshingly honest about herself when she recorded her tapes and that she perceived various issues in her life, and traced them back to her past as well as to her choices in the present. She sounds like she delievered a mature, visceral autobiography we can treasure, if with sadness.

It is a good read. Also, I don't think this would have worked without Riley's portions, which put things in perspective.

Topic author
Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:56 pm
He didn't marry Linda also. Elvis didn't remain faithful to any of his girlfriends- June, Anita, Priiscilla, Linda... The list goes on.

I like what Riley intuits about the whole portion about Lisa's childhood reflections about her parents' partners: that Lisa learnt to prioritize her kids over her partners because of how her parents behaved.

eligain
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by eligain »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:56 pm
I think it’s possible and even likely that he talked marriage with Ginger but it was only to manipulate her to stay with him.i don’t believe he would have ever really married her. She was a trophy that wasn’t completely compliant. I think the consensus that she was pushed to be there by her mother is the correct one.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Maybe. Her mother wanted Ginger to marry Elvis.