Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Lisa Marie Presley and Riley Keough's Book: From Here to the Great Unknown

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thank you.

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Jokerlola »

One thing that does perplex me about this book is how her 2 younger daughters are taking it. The gist of the end of the book is that she just gave up because of the death of her son. But I wonder how that is going to affect them as they go on?Di they and are they going to feel they must not have been as important to Lisa as Ben was. She still had 2 young daughters, it should have been her priority to not ignore her pain and go to the doctor for their sake. Because bottom line, she died because she didn’t go have the pain she was in checked and if she didn’t because she had given up because of Ben, then that is selfish on her part.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

JohanD wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:26 pm
Read the book.
It's a sad story, very sad...
Lisa fought her whole life to become someone, that her daddy could be proud of.
The love she felt for him was only notable in the love for her children.
The fact that her son Ben was not buried for two months, shocked me, there is no way that could be possible in Europe.
In fact, the day Elvis- her father- died, she never recovered from it and when her son Ben died, it was the point of no return.
They all knew it, they all saw it, but there was nothing that could be done.
A sad but honest book.
Thank you JohanD,

When i'm assured and find out that the australian edition also has not be censored then, for sure i will purchase a copy.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

Jokerlola wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 10:43 pm
One thing that does perplex me about this book is how her 2 younger daughters are taking it. The gist of the end of the book is that she just gave up because of the death of her son. But I wonder how that is going to affect them as they go on?Di they and are they going to feel they must not have been as important to Lisa as Ben was. She still had 2 young daughters, it should have been her priority to not ignore her pain and go to the doctor for their sake. Because bottom line, she died because she didn’t go have the pain she was in checked and if she didn’t because she had given up because of Ben, then that is selfish on her part.
Agreed.
I also think it has a lot to do with Ben being her only boy/son (all the rest are girls / I don't mean to criticize or judge Lisa by making this statement either, rather it's just an observation of fact that I have seen similar dynamics play out in other families as well.)

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

Lisa Marie comes across as a spoiled, unable and self-pity brat. Maybe nice, maybe caring, but not able to lead an adult life on her own. She wasn't up to the game, just like her father.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

No. Elvis was up to the game most of the time.

billy jack
Registered for: 2 months

Post by billy jack »

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 8:35 am
Lisa Marie comes across as a spoiled, unable and self-pity brat. Maybe nice, maybe caring, but not able to lead an adult life on her own. She wasn't up to the game, just like her father.

Of course you can say your own opinion. But what you're saying now is exaggerated to say the least. Her father, Elvis, certainly made wrong choices, but that was related to other factors. But that's another story. Eventually, Elvis got tired of being "Elvis Presley" (his own words).

Lisa did not choose a father like Elvis, whom she loved unconditionally, but lost at the age of nine. Lisa did not choose to have a mother who did not actually want her, and showed that, especially after Elvis' death. Lisa did not choose a man, (Edwards), to be groped by him unsolicited at the age of 10-11. Lisa did not choose for her son Ben to take his own life.

This does not alter the fact that she experimented with drugs at a very young age, grew up as a rebel, and made wrong choices in her love life. As the daughter of ''Elvis Presley'', I can imagine that you feel like everyone wants something from you other than love.

One thing is certain, no one could ask for a better mother than Lisa, unlike the heartless Priscilla. Lisa admits that she is actually sad, as she did to the outside world. That doesn't sound like a 'spoiled brat' to me.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Very sad.

Topic author
Igotstung
Registered for: 10 months

Post by Igotstung »

While the book is undoubtedly sad, it also has bittersweet moments. The whole Ben Tattoo saga- mother & daughter both have such an amusing reactions. They definitely inherited Elvis' sense of humour.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Jaime1234 »

Last edited by Jaime1234 on Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thank you.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Riley - on Tour :D

Is she still there in England ? Meanwhile, hows about this earlier launch from the Belmont University in Nashville. She's certainly putting in the hard yards with regards to the promotional commitments, AYE :smt023

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

at the risk of repeating myself, can any of our aussie members who've purchase a copy, confirm whether or not the book has been censored on the AU edition? Cheers, my friends.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
She wasn't up to the game, just like her father.
I think that EP stepped up to the "game" in a big way and accomplished an immense amount within his own domain in his all too short life. (Certainly more than most others.) There is a lot to enjoy and admire in his accomplishments — he will always be remembered (both the good and the bad lessons).

However, . . .
A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Lisa Marie comes across as a spoiled, unable and self-pity brat. Maybe nice, maybe caring, but not able to lead an adult life on her own.
I do tend to agree with this portion. But, in all fairness, her father's fame did cripple her (for life). Reading her memoir makes this crystal clear; also, a very, very sad story. In some respects I can't help but feel that, she was given every opportunity . . . but somehow still managed to throw it all away (depending on how you look at it, of course).

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

bronsky wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:49 pm
They removed the sexual abuse and left the physical abuse in it. Two different publishing companies.

It should be noted that if both versions of the act have been published, then nothing has been "censored."

A publisher may print whatever was agreed upon by the parties involved.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

billy jack wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 7:06 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:56 pm
I never believed that Elvis would marry Ginger. Never.

With a lot of hassle, Elvis orders to make an 11 and a half carat diamond ring, worth $70.000. This happened in late January 1977, after Ginger agreed not to come along to the studio in Nashville (Creative Workshop).

The plan was to get married on Christmas Day 1977, with the announcement in the fall. The bad thing (at least for Elvis) is that there were rumors that Ginger was cheating on him the night Elvis gave the ring. Afterwards it became clear that Ginger and her family wanted to profit from Elvis' money.

It is also naive on both sides, what a 42-year-old superstar should do with a recently turned twenties, a twenty-something with a singer who had made a problem of himself (partly thanks to Parker). Ultimately the engagement was finalized. But no more than that.

For the record, Ginger Alden was just a week past her teen-age years when she had her first date with Elvis. She turned 20 on November 13, 1976, and did not make 21 until nearly three months after Presley's death.

Also, Alden never "agreed" to not go to Nashville in January 1977, she outright refused his request. It's a big reason Elvis did not record a note after traveling there without her company. He was very unhappy with her choice.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

brian wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2024 2:22 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2024 2:13 am
So the lowlife actually wrote a book and included these in his book?

He admits to being hugged by Lisa when she was 11 years old and feeling aroused by her. Feeling sexual attracted and developing sexual feelings towards her. He would talk about getting aroused by Lisa at other times as well. He would fantasize about having sex with her. If I remember right he admitted to touching Lisa inappropriately one time. In his book he doesn't admit to raping her but does admit to those other things. Some of the things that Lisa talks about in her book he admitted in his book. Now he's changing his story.

You haven't always "remembered right" in the past, as you well know.

Any chance you can credibly support the assertions made across multiple postings?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

arnaudbxl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:28 am
I haven’t read the book «Destined to die young » so I cannot talk about it.

In a prior discussion the book was considered a must to avoid.

And not because the author is a MAGA maniac, although this fact doesn't help.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

good one here by ABC News AU. Especially like the photo booth pic of Lisa and very young Riley featured. Nice to see :D

Riley Keough finished writing her mother Lisa Marie Presley's memoir after her death. It was an 'incredibly emotional' experience...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-10-20/riley-keough-finished-lisa-marie-presley-memoir-after-her-death/104339882

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
That's a harsh view. As a child, maybe...

Recall reading comment by Mike Stone one time, where he said that whenever Lisa didn't get her ways, she would always say "I'm going to tell Daddy" so one day, Stone who had enough says, "Alright, i will give you the phone and you can call your daddy". Lisa backed down and then held some respect for Stone.

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

Since the book is very successful, I would be happy about a CD / LP box with all her albums + all duets with Elvis and some unreleased recordings.
And a maybe they find another Elvis / Lisa duet.
Does anyone know if they mixed more duets?

billy jack
Registered for: 2 months

Post by billy jack »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2024 5:12 am
billy jack wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 7:06 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:56 pm
I never believed that Elvis would marry Ginger. Never.

With a lot of hassle, Elvis orders to make an 11 and a half carat diamond ring, worth $70.000. This happened in late January 1977, after Ginger agreed not to come along to the studio in Nashville (Creative Workshop).

The plan was to get married on Christmas Day 1977, with the announcement in the fall. The bad thing (at least for Elvis) is that there were rumors that Ginger was cheating on him the night Elvis gave the ring. Afterwards it became clear that Ginger and her family wanted to profit from Elvis' money.

It is also naive on both sides, what a 42-year-old superstar should do with a recently turned twenties, a twenty-something with a singer who had made a problem of himself (partly thanks to Parker). Ultimately the engagement was finalized. But no more than that.

For the record, Ginger Alden was just a week past her teen-age years when she had her first date with Elvis. She turned 20 on November 13, 1976, and did not make 21 until nearly three months after Presley's death.

Also, Alden never "agreed" to not go to Nashville in January 1977, she outright refused his request. It's a big reason Elvis did not record a note after traveling there without her company. He was very unhappy with her choice.
The outcome is the same, right? She didn't come along. Just as Ginger often did not want to go on tour, but still went along (February 12 1977), after Elvis insisted that she accompany him. That same week, Ginger suffered from homesickness. To keep Ginger with him, Elvis let her family over for the last few shows of the tour.

That's what I said before, she (Ginger) had only turned 20, recently. No correction is necessary for my earlier comment.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

One thing is clear: Ginger was not good for Elvis. Linda was good, but Elvis left her in November 1976. Nine months later he died.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Jaime1234 »

Sales charts as of Sunday, October 20, 2024

Still Top 10, at #8 at Amazon (1 up)

https://www.amazon.com/books-used-books-textbooks/b?ie=UTF8&node=283155

Still Top 10, at #2 at NYT best selling books and ebooks (unmoved)

https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/combined-print-and-e-book-nonfiction/

Back to Top 10, at #10 at Barnes and Noble (up 5)

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/nonfiction/books/_/N-1fZ2urcZ29Z8q8

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by r&b »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:43 am
One thing is clear: Ginger was not good for Elvis. Linda was good, but Elvis left her in November 1976. Nine months later he died.
Elvis left Linda? Didnt Linda leave him because she couldnt take his lifestyle any more and his downward spiral???