More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Lisa Marie Presley and Riley Keough's Book: From Here to the Great Unknown

Post by Jokerlola »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:43 am
One thing is clear: Ginger was not good for Elvis. Linda was good, but Elvis left her in November 1976. Nine months later he died.
Linda obviously took care of him better than Ginger and he would have never laid there dead for that long if Linda had been there but I don’t think she would have ultimately kept him from dying. He was in bad shape several times while he was with her.
Last edited by Jokerlola on Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

I am not sure.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Nobody knows.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

r&b wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:43 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
One thing is clear: Ginger was not good for Elvis. Linda was good, but Elvis left her in November 1976. Nine months later he died.

Elvis left Linda? Didnt Linda leave him because she couldnt take his lifestyle any more and his downward spiral???

After Linda realized she was being shuffled off the November 1976 tour while at the Hilton in San Francisco, she decided it was time to make a permanent break. In her book she makes clear both of them knew what the exit from SF meant. That said, she did take a last visit to him sometime in December.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Elvis made a great mistake.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

good one here by beyond graceland (aka: emily), bless her...

if you can scroll to the point of 15:25 in the vid, because to me, it sounds like not only Lisa-Marie but Priscilla herself had been subjected to some of the "abusing, controlling, relations" at the hands of Edwards. On that basis, why did she not have Edwards charged?
Because It's not as as though, Priscilla (in the mid 1980's era) did not have the power or financial clout to.

Wayfarer
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by Wayfarer »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:34 am
good one here by beyond graceland (aka: emily), bless her...

if you can scroll to the point of 15:25 in the vid, because to me, it sounds like not only Lisa-Marie but Priscilla herself had been subjected to some of the "abusing, controlling, relations" at the hands of Edwards. On that basis, why did she not have Edwards charged?
Because It's not as as though, Priscilla (in the mid 1980's era) did not have the power or financial clout to.

On the speaker's description of the 'abusing, controlling, relations' of the 1980s, that book extract appears to reveal a narcissist doing what narcissists do. Gaslighting also comes to mind so that the victim(s) believe they need to sort themselves out and things will then get better. The clip describes lots of manipulation rearing its ugly head. Narcissists know when and how to get away with things they do. Red flags appear, but it's often also needed from an outside voice who needs to spot it - others may not understand what's going on, such is the psychological control exerted over a person. Before Jimmy Savile, Harvey Weinstein and also Me Too, complaining voices could be easily silenced by suggestions of repercussions such as refusal to believe them and painfully countered by character assassinations by enablers saying that is impossible that 'X' would do that.

And also, as someone in the thread said earlier - it's not always apt to think linearly. Anyway, I'm really glad Lisa wrote her book. When I read it, I'm sure I will appreciate her for giving us this book.

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Jokerlola »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:50 pm
I am not sure.
His drug use was never curtailed while Linda was there. Unless he got treatment, he was eventually going to lose his game of Russian Roulette whether Linda was there or not.

It is clear that in his condition, he should have been more closely watched and monitored than he was that morning. Once she became Elvis’ girlfriend, Ginger should have been educated on the need for him to be monitored. I think one of the Stanley boys was supposed to be stationed in the dressing room but they were awol that morning. Sounds like it was the perfect storm for him to die that morning. He got extra pills from the dentist on top of his regular regimen and know one checked on him for hours.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

True.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

now, here's Riley on australian TV, a national show called the 7:30 Report. Shown on our monday prime-time :D

Jaime1234
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Jaime1234 »

Sales charts as of Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Still Top 20, at #16 at Amazon (8 down )

https://www.amazon.com/books-used-books-textbooks/b?ie=UTF8&node=283155

Still Top 10, at #2 at NYT best selling books and ebooks (unmoved)

https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/combined-print-and-e-book-nonfiction/

Srill Top 20, at #20 at Barnes and Noble (down 10)

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/nonfiction/books/_/N-1fZ2urcZ29Z8q8

Tupelo
Registered for: 9 months

Post by Tupelo »

This was such a sad sad read and at the same time Lisa's humor, her love for her kids, and rebelliousness shone through. I lost what little respect I had for Priscilla; here she is talking about her daughter whom "she loves to death" and then laughing with her son at her, implying we should not take the things Lisa said too seriously. The question about being back at Graceland starts around the 1:20 mark.

eligain
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by eligain »

I’m not a big fan of the Spa Guy but this is one of the better discussions of Lisa’s book I’ve seen.

[media] [/media]

Topic author
Igotstung
Registered for: 10 months

Post by Igotstung »

One can't praise Riley enough for her poise and intelligence during the press tour. She has a humble, charming and thoughful demeanour, never taking focus away from her mother, but still making a great impression. I am now curious to see what she does with Elvis' legacy.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Hard to answer to this.

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by TINML »

Tupelo wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:35 am
This was such a sad sad read and at the same time Lisa's humor, her love for her kids, and rebelliousness shone through. I lost what little respect I had for Priscilla; here she is talking about her daughter whom "she loves to death" and then laughing with her son at her, implying we should not take the things Lisa said too seriously. The question about being back at Graceland starts around the 1:20 mark.

In all my 31 years of appreciation for Elvis, I never really cared about or felt one way or another about Priscilla but this book era has made me feel a bit disgusted with her.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

billy jack
Registered for: 2 months

Post by billy jack »

TINML wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:29 pm
Tupelo wrote:

In all my 31 years of appreciation for Elvis, I never really cared about or felt one way or another about Priscilla but this book era has made me feel a bit disgusted with her.
This heartless woman has been popping up again and again for years when it comes to Elvis. Documentaries, meetings, etc. Priscilla is just as annoying as those unnecessary advertisements that you are not interested in if you do not have a YouTube Premium subscription.

For years, she has added nothing to the Presley saga than just to benefit yourself (financially). The eternal talk about how great and loving Elvis was. We know that now. And besides, she was the one who threw in the towel. We have to take the cackling from her plastic mouth with a gram of salt. Go help the animals in Korea and please, don't get involved in Elvis-related matters anymore. Your time has passed.

brian
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by brian »

That tells me that Priscilla is going to deny everything Lisa said about her in her book. In Priscilla's autobiography next year she'll make herself out to be a great mom. Instead of owning up to some of the things Lisa said about her Priscilla will deny everything and make herself out to be a great mom and a great person. I think owning up to some of what Lisa said would be more interesting and make Priscilla look more human but she won't do that. I knew that she wouldn't. I'm not surprised by that. Priscilla will pat herself on the back a lot in her own book. It doesn't matter what Priscilla says. Lisa felt the way she felt about her mom and what Priscilla says about it afterwards is not going to change that. If I was Priscilla that would make me feel sad that my own daughter felt that way about me and Priscilla trying to spin it afterwards won't change that. I wouldn't laugh about that.

DEH

Post by DEH »

Tupelo wrote:

Priscilla knew LIsa a lot better than the public did.

Thats_all_right
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Thats_all_right »

For anyone wanting an audio book version, there's now one on YouTube -

Although not the best read.

T3ddy-be@r
Registered for: 5 months
Mood:

Post by T3ddy-be@r »

r&b wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:43 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
Elvis left Linda? Didnt Linda leave him because she couldnt take his lifestyle any more and his downward spiral???
Elvis put her on his plane so technically she left but he sent her

Pam G

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

billy jack wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 7:54 pm
This heartless woman has been popping up again and again for years when it comes to Elvis. Documentaries, meetings, etc. Priscilla is just as annoying as those unnecessary advertisements that you are not interested in if you do not have a YouTube Premium subscription.

For years, she has added nothing to the Presley saga than just to benefit yourself (financially). The eternal talk about how great and loving Elvis was. We know that now. And besides, she was the one who threw in the towel. We have to take the cackling from her plastic mouth with a gram of salt. Go help the animals in Korea and please, don't get involved in Elvis-related matters anymore. Your time has passed.

I don't consider myself a "fan" of Priscilla Beaulieu, but this post reeks of misogyny.

And untruth. And just plain meanness.

It's embarrassing anyone is so angry about someone they do not know.

She's a 79 year-old grandmother. Time to move on to other things more important.

:smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

eligain

Post by eligain »

billy jack wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 7:54 pm
TINML wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:29 pm
Tupelo wrote:

Wow! So much hate for someone you don’t even know! To say she has added nothing to the Presley saga is just ridiculous. How about saving Graceland? How about the “Elvis” TV series in 1990? What about “The Searcher” and every other Elvis related project she produced? She is the one who hired Jack Soden.

eligain

Post by eligain »

brian wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:03 pm
That tells me that Priscilla is going to deny everything Lisa said about her in her book. In Priscilla's autobiography next year she'll make herself out to be a great mom. Instead of owning up to some of the things Lisa said about her Priscilla will deny everything and make herself out to be a great mom and a great person. I think owning up to some of what Lisa said would be more interesting and make Priscilla look more human but she won't do that. I knew that she wouldn't. I'm not surprised by that. Priscilla will pat herself on the back a lot in her own book. It doesn't matter what Priscilla says. Lisa felt the way she felt about her mom and what Priscilla says about it afterwards is not going to change that. If I was Priscilla that would make me feel sad that my own daughter felt that way about me and Priscilla trying to spin it afterwards won't change that. I wouldn't laugh about that.
I’ve seen interviews where Priscilla has said, she didn’t know what to do with Lisa and that she made a lot of mistakes with her. I’ve never seen her hold herself up as the perfect mother. None of us know how we would react to having a microphone stuck in our face. If you watch past interviews with Lisa and Priscilla and the ones they did together, you basically get the same thing that is in Lisa’s book. They’ve always acknowledged that they were different and didn’t see eye to eye on a lot of things. But Lisa said to Sofia Coppola that she has always been very protective of her mother.

brian

Post by brian »

eligain wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:21 am
I’ve seen interviews where Priscilla has said, she didn’t know what to do with Lisa and that she made a lot of mistakes with her. I’ve never seen her hold herself up as the perfect mother. None of us know how we would react to having a microphone stuck in our face. If you watch past interviews with Lisa and Priscilla and the ones they did together, you basically get the same thing that is in Lisa’s book. They’ve always acknowledged that they were different and didn’t see eye to eye on a lot of things.
No. It's much more than that their relationship was worse than I thought. You should read it. I have already seen those same interviews and know everything you are talking about. However in Lisa's book Priscilla comes across as a bad mother. Lisa says some things about Priscilla that weren't good. It's more than them having different personalities and not getting along. To be honest I never expected her to say things like that about Priscilla but she did. Now I'm saying that Priscilla is going to deny those things that Lisa says about her and make herself out to be a good mom. I didn't say a perfect mom but she'll portray herself to be a good mom and a much better mom than what Lisa has said. Just wait until Priscilla's book comes out next year and you'll see. It's like how Priscilla does with Elvis where she blames him for everything and she tries to make herself look good. I predict she'll do that with Lisa. Just wait. I'd bet you money if I could. You can already see Priscilla just laughing off Lisa's book in that video. That's just how Priscilla is.