The Mega Upgrade '24 [support/request topic]

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Re: The Mega Upgrade '24 [support/request topic]

Post by drjohncarpenter »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:21 pm
"Lightbox" for images has been replaced with "FancyBox". This lets you see the full image when clicked and the "Expand arrows" clicked at the top of the image. Plus a bunch of other goodies "under the hood". Any issues or questions, please ask here.

THANK YOU !

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

trouble_jw
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by trouble_jw »

Hi all.

Has the search bar moved or has it gone? Unless I’m being stupid, I can’t find it?

Thank you.

"If you're looking for trouble_jw......you came to the right place"

Moderator3
Forum Moderator
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by Moderator3 »

On the main forum page all the way at the bottom.

elvis4life
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by elvis4life »

Sorry Moderator3, unless my eyesight is very bad, I'm afraid I don't see the search option at the bottom as you stated.

trouble_jw

Post by trouble_jw »

Moderator3 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:57 pm
On the main forum page all the way at the bottom.
I can’t see it anywhere.

trouble_jw

Post by trouble_jw »

The search bar is back. Top right.

elvis4life
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by elvis4life »

trouble_jw wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:53 pm
The search bar is back. Top right.
Every time I type something down on there, it says the following:

"Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log."

KB
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by KB »

There is no search field. I checked the top and the bottom of the messageboard, it is simply not there.

Moderator3
Forum Moderator
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by Moderator3 »

Hi at kb and others. Indeed search has been
removed due to attacks from "down under." A rather delicate situation if you ask me. And a pathetic childish one who is keeping the servers virtually at ransom.

KB
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by KB »

Thank for your reply Moderator 3.

Can you just suspend the member in question? I thought search function is to find old posts, did not know that one can misuse it for attacks..

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Moderator3 would answer this and get it a bit wrong even though I'm trying to teach him the ins and outs of things. But this IS a VERY delicate question to answer AND situation right now. Yes, there are "naughty" things a member could do that aren't even in the guidelines that would lead to their expulsion - and from their EVER coming back.

Just as a person [whom is known in the Elvis World] would target, via a group of hackers - a customer of mine's sub-site, attempting to take it down permanently.
This leads to them, I'm guessing, having a good chunk of missed income while their site was down.

It's one word - PATHETIC. And nothing would make me happier than for us to be left alone.

PLEASE.

All the best from Memphis,
Jordan

Like the work/support being done to keep the "Elvis World" online? Feel free to send a tip to me via PayPal at sales@elvicities.com

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society (https://eapsociety.com/)! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Vegas70
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Vegas70 »

Hi,
then will the search function will be up again?

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Vegas70 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:56 pm
Hi,
then will the search function will be up again?
It's literally been a 24hr a day operation.
I cannot give a timeline, other than to reassure you that it WILL BE BACK. No worries. There may be some bumps in the road between now and then. So, I do sincerely appreciate you and everyone else hangin' in there until then.

Jordan

Like the work/support being done to keep the "Elvis World" online? Feel free to send a tip to me via PayPal at sales@elvicities.com

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society (https://eapsociety.com/)! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Vegas70
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Vegas70 »

Thanks for your work!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

You're Welcome !!! I am working 24/7 to get it fixed, I again apologize to everyone for the inconvenience.

Jordan

Alan_K
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Alan_K »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:34 pm
You're Welcome !!! I am working 24/7 to get it fixed, I again apologize to everyone for the inconvenience.
I was pleased to see these posts as I thought it was just myself. The pleasing stopped quickly when I realised why.
The search feature seems strange to have a vulnerability of getting hackers into a site, on the face of it, but I mean that in the sense they're not adding like a file upload or image upload.

The get around for now is using googles site search, so if you want to know about anything elvis 1954 on here just type, "elvis 1954 site:elvis-collectors.com" and you'lll get the results on google with each result linking back to this site.

Are there file extensions used in a search that enable people to hack a site? Could you not just disallow any searches that contain a list of file extensions? Sorry if that's a bit naive of me, just typing out aloud.

15562days.com - A chronological profile of the most influential artist of the latter half of the 20th century, Elvis Presley.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Alan_K wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:34 pm
I was pleased to see these posts as I thought it was just myself. The pleasing stopped quickly when I realised why.
The search feature seems strange to have a vulnerability of getting hackers into a site, on the face of it, but I mean that in the sense they're not adding like a file upload or image upload.

The get around for now is using googles site search, so if you want to know about anything elvis 1954 on here just type, "elvis 1954 site:elvis-collectors.com" and you'lll get the results on google with each result linking back to this site.

Are there file extensions used in a search that enable people to hack a site? Could you not just disallow any searches that contain a list of file extensions? Sorry if that's a bit naive of me, just typing out aloud.
Thanks, Alan, for your tips for members re: Google at this time in searching the site while the built-in function is still remaining to be cantankerous in bringing back.

As for POE (point of entrance), it wasn't via a file per se (as you mentioned) , but a vulnerability that was just (?) Internally officially recognized... I can say that publicly now, as the vulnerability has been patched on our end. That is why I was understandably silent over the root cause until now.

The work now remains rebuilding the search index and functions (which is a massive undertaking with a site with as many posts as fecc) while not affecting site performance.

It WILL be back. It's just taking longer than expected.

All we ask is for you and the rest of the fecc memberships' patience as we continue to undertake this massive task.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Jordan