Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Greystoke »

jetblack wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:03 pm
'Oddity'. A creepy, atmospheric horror that I loved. One of the best I have seen in a long time.

Andy
Thanks, Andy. I haven't seen it, but I'll check it out the next time I subscribe to Shudder.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by pmp »

I saw Longlegs this evening, a serial killer/horror hybrid starring Maika Monroe and an unrecognisable Nicolas Cage - I didn't even realise it was him until it was over! There's been a lot of hype about this one, but it's not quite sure what genre it is, and it's not so good as its reputation. It's not thrilling enough to be a thriller, and not horrifying enough to be a horror. It IS engaging, though, and it was certainly an interesting and enjoyable watch. Sadly, the climax is signalled too clearly far too early on in the film for it to be the knife-edge moment that it should be. Still, the performances are generally excellent, and it doesn't outstay its welcome, or, indeed, come up with some daft everything-but-the-kicthen-sink ending that we get too often in modern horror. Flawed, but I'll take it over Insidious & co.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:05 am
I saw Longlegs this evening, a serial killer/horror hybrid starring Maika Monroe and an unrecognisable Nicolas Cage - I didn't even realise it was him until it was over! There's been a lot of hype about this one, but it's not quite sure what genre it is, and it's not so good as its reputation. It's not thrilling enough to be a thriller, and not horrifying enough to be a horror. It IS engaging, though, and it was certainly an interesting and enjoyable watch. Sadly, the climax is signalled too clearly far too early on in the film for it to be the knife-edge moment that it should be. Still, the performances are generally excellent, and it doesn't outstay its welcome, or, indeed, come up with some daft everything-but-the-kicthen-sink ending that we get too often in modern horror. Flawed, but I'll take it over Insidious & co.
I think I liked Longlegs a bit more than you did, Shane. It's certainly one of the most hyped horror films of the year, although I had some of the same issues that you did. But I do think that Oz Perkins has a voice within the genre. It's very dark and grim. And I liked how sinister it is with regards to mood and tone.

The performances were great, as you've said. With Cage giving one of his most memorable performances in recent years. I'm eager to see it again.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:07 pm
jetblack wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:03 pm
'Oddity'. A creepy, atmospheric horror that I loved. One of the best I have seen in a long time.

Andy
Thanks, Andy. I haven't seen it, but I'll check it out the next time I subscribe to Shudder.
good one jetblack :smt023