Best track on "C´mon everybody" LP 1971

Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Poll ended at Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:35 am

C'mon Everybody
8%
Angel
8%
Easy Come, Easy Go
4%
A Whistling Tune
No votes
Follow That Dream
46%
King Of The Whole Wide World
15%
I´ll take love
4%
Today, Tomorrow And Forever
12%
I'm Not The Marrying Kind
4%
This is living
No votes

Total votes: 26

Topic author
dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by dreambear »

It´s Camden time again and this particular album was one of the last LP´s I collected and it´s also one of the LP´s that I have least feelings for. Why? Just because, in Sweden, Germany and some other European countries we already had the 12 track LP "Today, tomorrow and forever", released in 1969, as you can see on the link if you scroll down a bit:

http://members.home.nl/h.heim/elvis.html

A couple of the songs here was included on that album. Here we find a mix of different movie songs from some soundtrack EP´s. It starts out quite good with the title track, a typical 60´s rocker. But I do prefer the song that Eddie Cochran wrote...

Angel is cute, but suffers a bit from bad production. Next up is a track that will be discussed, as I doesn´t "hate" all the tracks from EC, EG (OK I hate "Yoga is as yoga does"). A few of those songs had a bit of nasty guitar playing, including the title track of the movie. I actually prefer it compared to a song like "I´m not the marrying kind", which I find annoying, especially the melody.

A whistling tune is like many early 60´s movie songs well performed by Elvis, but feels a bit weak.

But now we have two excellent tracks in a row: "Follow that dream" and "King of the whole wild world". Both in the same class or better than most of his 60´s regular songs. Incredible catchy melody in the first one. The second one features a rare´early 60´s glimpse of Elvis´ 50´s vocal. And what about the sax playing?

"I´ll take love" sounds like Elvis´ version of "La Bamba". Not that bad. I remember not having this track and found it as a kid on a serie of mini albums called "Maxi tours", remember them? I really digged it, but that was before I heard La Bamba...

What about "Today, tomorrow and forever"? I think it´s a real beauty and the vocal delivery tells me that Elvis really enjoyed the song. I also wonder which girl he had in mind while recording it...

"This is living" closes the album and it´s a bit light weight but pleasant enough compared to other movie songs.

It´s time to vote, but it´s a tough game between the TTAF, FTD and KOTWWW. Just at the moment I´m in a good mood and it makes me choose the last one, just for the vocal performance.

Thanks for reading!

Regards//Björn

JerryNodak

Re: Best track on "C´mon everybody" LP 1971

Post by JerryNodak »

I voted for "Angel" because I LOVE that song. Great vocal. On the other side of the coin I detest "Marrying Kind." And i agree with Shane that I've never understood the fuss about "King...Wide World." Doesn't do a thing for me.
And another great vocal on "Today, Tomorrow and Forever."

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

There are several decent or better tracks on this compilation of 1962, 1964 and 1967 EPs.

Sadly, none derive from the 1967 release ->

C'mon Everybody (64)
Angel (62)
Follow That Dream (62)
King Of The Whole Wide World (62)

If push comes to shove, "Follow That Dream" takes the top slot here. Great song, superb performance and hugely influential on notable musician Bruce Springsteen and BMG's Presley producers of the last 20 years, Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Pete Dube »

I voted for Follow That Dream. It's just so doggone catchy! But King of the Whole Wide World is in the upper eschelon of 60's movie rockers. C'mon Everybody is also a solid celluloid rocker, Angel and Today, Tomorrow and Forever fine ballad performances.

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Lonely Summer wrote:This was my first Elvis album - mom gave it to me for a birthday or Christmas. My parents never valued music greatly, so their tiny record collection was full of budget priced albums. A wierd way to start off my Elvis collection. I voted for FTD. Great song, among Elvis' best. Also rans on my list: C'mon Everybody (I knew this song long before I ever heard the Eddie Cochran song), Easy Come, Easy Go, and Angel.
Well it´s funny how time slips away. I remember sharply the first albums I got as a kid. First I got the compilation "Elvis forever", so I discovered Elvis with some excellent songs. But after that I got "Almost in love", "I got lucky", "Welcome to my world", "Moody blue", "The rockin´days", "Pot luck" and "NBC TV-special". I also remember my old mother saying that Elvis had a surprisingly raw voice on the latter album and wanted me to leave that back to the record store :D . It was a bit of a difference to "Pot luck" and "Welcome to my world"...

Regards Björn

charlie
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by charlie »

I love this album. It was one of the first Elvis albums I was given as a kid and it was played relentlessly as I was growing up. For me, it's one of the great budget album releases and this one did more than any to make me a lifelong Elvis fan. It has a superb selection of Elvis sixties movie songs and a good mix of up tempo - slower tempo songs. Follow That Dream has to be one of the great Elvis message sings, C'mon Everybody rocks!, and Whistling Tune and Angel are lovely songs well sung by the King.I'lL Take Love, King of the Whole Wide World, and This is Living all have a wonderful zest to them too.

So, quite a difficulty task to vote for just on of these songs...in the end I have to go for Follow That Dream which has such catchy up beat tune and message ...' When your heart gets restless, time to move along, when your heart gets weary, time to sing a song, but when a dream is calling you, there's just one thing, you've got to do... You've got to follow that dream wherever that dream leads, you've got to follow that dream to find a heart thats true...' Magic!

The moment we're living is now

Torben

Post by Torben »

The best track on C'mon Everybody has to be "C'mon Everybody", "Angel", "Follow That Dream", "King of the Whole Wide World" or "Today, Tomorrow and Forever". I rank them equally high and voted for "Angel" today. This is an album I've never possessed.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I've got to follow that dream wherever that dream may lead
I've got to follow that dream to find the love I need.......

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Lonely Summer wrote:Even though it was the first Elvis album in my collection, I rate it lower than some of the other Camden albums. I actually love the much reviled Burning Love album, and Separate Ways and Almost in Love are favs, too. By far the weakest, though, IMHO, is Elvis Sings Hits from his Movies, Volume 1. We'll get to that one soon, of course. Great cover, though!
I don´t know how to handle the two "Elvis sings hits from his movies". My first idea was to not include those two albums on the polls, because those were the first budget albums where most of the tracks had been included on different LP´s before. I still think I will skip them.

//Björn

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Lennart »

This was my first Elvis album, I got it back in the fall of 1971. I was 6 years old.
If I had voted back then, Easy come easy go would get my vote, I loved that guitarsolo.
As I am older and wiser :wink: now, I vote for Follow that dream.

Lennart

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Lonely Summer wrote:I think you should include them. We all know what song will come out tops for 'hits from his movies vo. 2', though. :)
Yes! "I love only one girl" :lol:

//Björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Lennart wrote:This was my first Elvis album, I got it back in the fall of 1971. I was 6 years old.
If I had voted back then, Easy come easy go would get my vote, I loved that guitarsolo.
As I am older and wiser :wink: now, I vote for Follow that dream.

Lennart
It´s remarkable how many "younger" fans that has started their Elvis collections with low budget Camden albums. I have to re-value those albums!

//Björn

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Not hard to understand at all. The albums were inexpensively priced so that moms, dads, grandmas, aunt, uncles, etc. wouldn't think twice about shelling out the money for these as gifts for their releatives. Also, the low price made them affordable as something a kid could afford to buy for his or herself.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

Follow that Dream without a doubt !

elvisa
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by elvisa »

"Follow that dream" absolutely must be the winner, one of the soundtracks that no one can dislike...otherwise something must be wrong with their ears.. :lol:

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

elvisa wrote:"Follow that dream" absolutely must be the winner, one of the soundtracks that no one can dislike...otherwise something must be wrong with their ears.. :lol:
Well, there nothing more to say. FTD is a clear winner.

Thanks for voting!

//Björn