Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Re: the coolest version of cc rider

Post by luckyjackson1 »

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:And it's worth noting that Presley's beautiful, breezy 1961 cover of Chuck Willis' "I Feel So Bad" follows the hit 1954 R&B single about as closely as any devoted fan can manage. It was blasting over Elvis' favorite Memphis radio stations that summer, just as his career at Sun was taking hold. The young man listened to a LOT of R&B in the summers of 1954 and 1955.

..Chuck Willis "I Feel So Bad" (Okeh 7029, May 8, 1954)
Billboard R&B "Best Sellers In Stores" #8 on July 17, 1954

Arguably his greatest 60'S recording.
Elvis' cover is a joy. It's a shame it didn't chart higher than #5 on Billboard's Hot 100. Also notable is that it made #15 on their R&B chart. Very soon Presley would leave that one forever, which clearly reflects how he abandoned his craft for Hollywood.
Its a song that should be more well known. It seems radio goes from Hound Dog, LMT, & Jailhouse Rock right into In The Ghetto skipping over chestnuts like this. I talk about Elvis's vocal ability in the early 60s to my non-Elvis friends and they have no idea songs like this exist. Granted, it is 50 years ago and they tell me to get into the new century, but Im not talking about kids(who I can understand not caring about ancient recordings). Im talking about people my age and they have no idea these songs exist which means they were largely ignored all these years by radio playlists.
Just recently listened to the master again and it blew me away again - even after listening to it numerous times (it was featured on my very first Elvis LP I owned). Unfortunately nobody in my close family ever liked it. But I love it, as well as Take 1, which sounds quite messy but pretty cool also. The master is close to perfection.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by jurasic1968 »

What a great song was I Feel so Bad! I never forget the moment when Elvis shouts in the instrumental break full of joy. To me this song is the final goodbye to the 50's and the good rock'n'roll days.

Lou Fanty
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Lou Fanty »

Running Scared was the number 1 record of the week on Billboard, while Elvis' I Feel So Bad was number 5. Roy's only gold single was Pretty Woman according to the RIAA. I Feel So Bad went gold by Elvis.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

jurasic1968 wrote:What a great song was I Feel so Bad! I never forget the moment when Elvis shouts in the instrumental break full of joy. To me this song is the final goodbye to the 50's and the good rock'n'roll days.
What about the next terrific single, "Little Sister" / "(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame"?

1961 was still holding the line.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by jurasic1968 »

You're right Doc. Little Sister/His Latest Flame from 1961 was in the same league with One Night/I Need Your Love Tonight (1959). And in the following year we got the huge hit Return to Sender - great but not exactly a rock 'n' roll song.