Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
bluejeans1944
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Post by bluejeans1944 »

I believe that this photo shows E with a ciggie in his hand. I realize that it is a shot from the film "Follow That Dream".
He did smoke the occasional cigar...but didnt' think that he actually smoked cigarettes. Could this be a film prop?
Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

bluejeans1944 wrote:I believe that this photo shows E with a ciggie in his hand. I realize that it is a shot from the film "Follow That Dream".
He did smoke the occasional cigar...but didnt' think that he actually smoked cigarettes. Could this be a film prop?
Any ideas?

It's a cigarillo in his hand. Elvis occasionally smoked them, as much for style as pleasure. His character in the film, Toby Kwimper, did not smoke, so it's not a prop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarillo

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
bluejeans1944
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by bluejeans1944 »

Thanks Doc for the info. Hadn't seen the one you posted the link for. Interesting that he only smoked the occasional cigar or cigarillo & obviously wasn't addicted to smoking anything.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

bluejeans1944 wrote:Thanks Doc for the info. Hadn't seen the one you posted the link for. Interesting that he only smoked the occasional cigar or cigarillo & obviously wasn't addicted to smoking anything.
Not addicted, but there are plenty of pics, video, etc. of Elvis lighting up.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

A fan helps Elvis, June 22, 1968, Beverly Hills :
HILLCREST ROAD, BEVERLY HILLS 680622 -.JPG
Please note date has been corrected from my original post. See drjohncarpenter's post below. Thanks !
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yaso
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by yaso »

Yes, he smoked cigarettes, there are many candid photos of him while smoking or with cigarette in his hand..

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by paulsweeney »

There are lots of candid's with cigars, and only one or two I've seen with a cigarette

1Sixstring
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by 1Sixstring »

Well I think the orig question was targeted towards cigarettes. He treated cigarettes different than your typical smoker. Treated them, to some degree, just like a cigar. Some folks light a cigarette to actually inhale and others just ...don't inhale (lol sorry, sounds almost cliche' ala President Clinton).

But basically to clarify, he lit cigarettes, played around with them in his hands, put them in his mouth, clinched with his teeth...whatever. With cigarettes that's what Elvis did, but he didn't inhale. I don't know if there's any smokers on this comment thread but if there are you know there's a Huge difference between what Elvis did versus 'smoking one', it is relevent to clarify. Many folks close to Elvis over the years have explained this in interviews when people try to say that Elvis smoked. They usually end up saying something along lines of 'He didn't really smoke them. It was a nervous energy prop more less'.

The cigars and cigarillos, well we all know he loved those and smoked them the way every cigar smoker does.

Some nice pictures, here by the way

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:A fan helps Elvis, July 1968, Beverly Hills :

As a side note, that photo was taken Saturday, June 22, 1968, from a group of shots with U.K. fans Winifred and Tony Innes. Elvis was about halfway through his incredible Western Recorders studio work for the NBC-TV Special, and was probably heading to the studio. He'd finish the gospel medley and the "Trouble"/"Guitar Man" opening, and wax "If I Can Dream" on Sunday. Good times!

Note that by July 21 Elvis was bearded and on location filming "Charro."

One teenaged fan's memory of June 22:

Kaleidescope Magazine.JPG
KALEIDOSCOPE No. 1, Nov-Dec 1978
Elvis fanzine put together by Elaine Coons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

1Sixstring

Post by 1Sixstring »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

As a side note, that photo was taken Saturday, June 22, 1968, from a group of shots with U.K. fans Winifred and Tony Innes. Elvis was about halfway through his incredible Western Recorders studio work for the NBC-TV Special, and was probably heading to the studio. He'd finish the gospel medley and the "Trouble"/"Guitar Man" opening, and wax "If I Can Dream" on Sunday. Good times!

Kaleidescope Magazine
Nice info on Date and location Doc. And great fan article and memory. Really just enjoyed that little read. Thank you

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Kaleidescope Magazine
My bad. I can't remember where I took this candid from, but I made the mistake of accepting the given date without checking further. I never do this, so maybe the source seemed reliable enough. Now I know it wasn't !

I've edited my original post accordingly.

Thanks for the clarification, and the additional information, Doc.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Kaleidescope Magazine
My bad. I can't remember where I took this candid from, but I made the mistake of accepting the given date without checking further. I never do this, so maybe the source seemed reliable enough. Now I know it wasn't !

Thanks for the clarification, and the additional information, Doc.
My pleasure!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TJ
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by TJ »

drjohncarpenter wrote:As a side note, that photo was taken Saturday, June 22, 1968, from a group of shots with U.K. fans Winifred and Tony Innes.
And a few days later Winifred witnessed Elvis record the first sit-down show. Lucky lady.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by rjm »

I saw a photo across the street from Graceland, perhaps still in the 1970s, with a real cig. I asked to buy it, and she vigorously refused. But she told me that Parker had a rule that he should hide them if a camera is around, and that one was a bit of luck. She also would not let me photograph the photograph! Honest to God.

But, more pertinently, Myrna said he smoked Tareytons, also her brand. And that he said he tried NOT to do it as much as possible, because she said he admitted to her that he had an addictive personality. So, it was a rare thing, but he had a brand. (They're gone. Or we're owned by a bigger company.)

This was independently corroborated by Marty. Citation: AskMarty No. 6.

It was the cigarette "worth fighting for." The black eyes.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Fairchild1171 wrote:At the 0.32 mark...Elvis notices the camera on him and quickly takes the cigarette from his mouth. The look he gives is priceless...like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar. He was well aware of not "smoking" or "drinking" in public. As the Colonel preached to him to always show a "clean" image.

Cool footage. I first saw it in the video version of "This Is Elvis". Can't recall if it was in the abridged version shown in cinemas, but I'm almost sure it wasn't.

I think there's Dewey Phillips among the many people seen here. And, who's the gal in the dotted dress ?

1Sixstring

Post by 1Sixstring »

Mister Moon wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:At the 0.32 mark...Elvis notices the camera on him and quickly takes the cigarette from his mouth. The look he gives is priceless...like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar. He was well aware of not "smoking" or "drinking" in public. As the Colonel preached to him to always show a "clean" image.

Cool footage. I first saw it in the video version of "This Is Elvis". Can't recall if it was in the abridged version shown in cinemas, but I'm almost sure it wasn't.

I think there's Dewey Phillips among the many people seen here. And, who's the gal in the dotted dress ?
Mister Moon My guess would be she is either Dewey's wife Dot or Sam's wife Becky (I think her name was). My guess would be one of those too but that's just my guess. Someone else here might know their history of that specific time better and no everyone in the video.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

1Sixstring wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Mister Moon My guess would be she is either Dewey's wife Dot or Sam's wife Becky (I think her name was). My guess would be one of those too but that's just my guess. Someone else here might know their history of that specific time better and no everyone in the video.
Thanks 1Sixstring.

Don't know about Dewey's wife, but she's not Becky Phillips.

Here's a photo from the mid 50's of WHER radio station in Memphis, an all-women station. Second from left, you can see Marion Keisker. Second in front is Becky Phillips.

Thanks again !
WHER Radio Memphis.jpg
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drjohncarpenter

Fairchild1171 wrote:The footage where Elvis is sitting...it looks like they are passing a blunt. :lol:
They aren't.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Fairchild1171 wrote:Now how do you know for a fact? Were you there?
Because I know what I'm talking about. I don't just blow smoke when I make statements on this forum.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:

It's probably FECC member Chuck Staley's wife, Joan.

Staley shot this film, taken Saturday, April 20, 1957, and this is what he wrote in July 2009:

Chuck Staley wrote:Here's what took place that night at Sam Phillips' house. Elvis was late arriving and was very apologetic about being late. As we stood by the pool table he quietly told me that he had a boil on his waist and his belt rubbed on it and it hurt like hell, so he had stopped by the doctor's to get some pain pills. He said the Cigarillo helped take the pain off his mind.

I asked if he minded if I shoot some film footage and he said it was fine with him, just let him know when he could see it.

When the others in the room saw the cigarillo, they all wanted to puff on it. Especially my wife Joan and Elvis' date, Yvonne Lime.

Harry, in the ape mask, also took a puff. Harry actually worked at WHBQ and it was the first time I'd seen him since I got laid off and went to WMCT. Elvis told Harry that Joan and I were moving to California. Joan was going first to get a job, then I would follow. Harry asked if he could ride out with me and help drive and he did. He also had a wreck, but that's a different story.

I hung out with Sam Phillips, Elvis, Charles Underwood, Cash, Orbinson, Perkins, Pittman and all of those guys from time to time. They were all on Dance Party, Dewey's radio show, and at Sun Records. We all drank like hell. Jack Daniels. But never did I smell, hear of or try a joint until almost 10 years later. If there had been grass, we would ALL have been into it.

But maybe not Elvis. He wasn't a "bad boy" like all the rest of us. I'm not sure that I ever saw him take a drink and I certainly never saw him drunk. His momma would not like that!

For those who haven't seen the Dance Party pictures or the Elvis interview, you can catch up here:

http://chuckstaleygallery.com/contactus.aspx

Sorry for the plug.

Hope this helped, drjohncarpenter...

Forum: ELVIS Picture Section
Topic: Did Elvis Smoke Cigarettes? More 50's photos
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46843&p=650112#p650112

Gotta love those first-person accounts. Thanks again, Chuck.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Fairchild1171 wrote:Yeah, yeah. You are the know it all...Not! :wink:
Graciousness is certainly not a southern courtesy your family taught.

Perhaps in the future, try asking questions with respect, not derision. Then you will not embarrass yourself when the factual information is presented for all to see. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Fairchild1171 wrote:Oh here now lil' buddy...no need to get all riled up. I'm a Southern boy and have Southern manners ...
Please let us know, skipper, when you will decide to display them here on FECC. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Fairchild1171 wrote:And please let us know when you decide to emerge from behind that mask lil' buddy. :wink: With kindest regards, Zane "The Skipper" Fairchild
You will need to address that question to about 6,350 other "masked" members before you get an answer from me:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/memberlist.php

Guess we'll be waiting a while for them manners to surface ... ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

1Sixstring

Post by 1Sixstring »

A blunt?? Lol... Lordy Lordy I think somebody might be smoking something else
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

It's probably FECC member Chuck Staley's wife, Joan.

Staley shot this film, taken Saturday, April 20, 1957, and this is what he wrote in July 2009:

Chuck Staley wrote:Here's what took place that night at Sam Phillips' house. Elvis was late arriving and was very apologetic about being late. As we stood by the pool table he quietly told me that he had a boil on his waist and his belt rubbed on it and it hurt like hell, so he had stopped by the doctor's to get some pain pills. He said the Cigarillo helped take the pain off his mind.

I asked if he minded if I shoot some film footage and he said it was fine with him, just let him know when he could see it.

When the others in the room saw the cigarillo, they all wanted to puff on it. Especially my wife Joan and Elvis' date, Yvonne Lime.

Harry, in the ape mask, also took a puff. Harry actually worked at WHBQ and it was the first time I'd seen him since I got laid off and went to WMCT. Elvis told Harry that Joan and I were moving to California. Joan was going first to get a job, then I would follow. Harry asked if he could ride out with me and help drive and he did. He also had a wreck, but that's a different story.

I hung out with Sam Phillips, Elvis, Charles Underwood, Cash, Orbinson, Perkins, Pittman and all of those guys from time to time. They were all on Dance Party, Dewey's radio show, and at Sun Records. We all drank like hell. Jack Daniels. But never did I smell, hear of or try a joint until almost 10 years later. If there had been grass, we would ALL have been into it.

But maybe not Elvis. He wasn't a "bad boy" like all the rest of us. I'm not sure that I ever saw him take a drink and I certainly never saw him drunk. His momma would not like that!

For those who haven't seen the Dance Party pictures or the Elvis interview, you can catch up here:

http://chuckstaleygallery.com/contactus.aspx

Sorry for the plug.

Hope this helped, drjohncarpenter...

Forum: ELVIS Picture Section
Topic: Did Elvis Smoke Cigarettes? More 50's photos
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46843&p=650112#p650112

Gotta love those first-person accounts. Thanks again, Chuck.
Thanks Doc. Yes the first hand accounts are always the best. Plus I was always curious who was behind that gorilla mask.