Sat May 02, 2020 7:04 pm
Sergio... definitely worth your time.
I’ll keep it in mind.
Always the gentleman, thank you.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Made in Dagenham (2010) - A biography on the 1968 strike at the Ford Dagenham car plant.

keninlincs
Registered for: 16 years
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Agree Made in Dagenham was very good!!!

-instagram kenh1964

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Watched "Fear" (1954) from Roberto Rossellini, with Ingrid Bergman (their last film before their divorce). The film explores the inner turmoil of a woman pushed to the edge through the anxiety caused by her infidelity. A theme that was very familiair to both Rossellini and Bergman, for they were still married to someone else, when they got romantically involved with each other about six years before.

I have the film on a BFI release and was quite surprised to find out it had another Rossellini movie on it, as special feature: "The Machine That Kills Bad People" (1952). A film I will watch later...

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Greystoke wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:58 pm
MikeFromHolland wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:22 pm

Watched "Fear" (1954) from Roberto Rossellini, with Ingrid Bergman (their last film before their divorce). The film explores the inner turmoil of a woman pushed to the edge through the anxiety caused by her infidelity. A theme that was very familiair to both Rossellini and Bergman, for they were still married to someone else, when they got romantically involved with each other about six years before.

I have the film on a BFI release and was quite surprised to find out it had another Rossellini movie on it, as special feature: "The Machine That Kills Bad People" (1952). A film I will watch later...

There’s a Rossellini/Bergman box set from the BFI that I recommend very highly. Fear and The Machine that Kills Bad People are included, along with Stromboli and Journey to Italy, plus the alternative Italian cut of the latter and some great bonus material.
Thank you, Greystoke!

This must be the one: https://shop.bfi.org.uk/roberto-rossellini-ingrid-bergman-collection-the.html#.Xq7hRS9Y4Wo

Fantastic extra's indeed. No booklet included?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by pmp »

Tonight I watched "Reunion," a film from 1989 starring Samuel West and Christian Anholt, two German teenagers who become friends in 1932 - West is from a noble German family whereas Anholt is Jewish. The story of their friendship is told in flashback, with a framing story featuring Jason Robards as the older version of Anholt's character who is going back to Germany to see what became of his friend. It's a strange film, with an oddly detached script by Harold Pinter that lacks the emotion required for us to get wholly involved in the story. West and Anholt are impressive, though.

This was Anholt's first screen appearance, and the character he plays here was similar to ones he would play over the next ten years or so - likeable, charming, down to earth, cheeky, somewhat wayward. He would perfect the role in films like the oddball "Appetite" and most notably in "Preaching to the Perverted" before starring in "Relic Hunter" for three seasons and then slowly leaving screen work behind. A shame, for he had/has quite a screen presence.

As for "Reunion," it's all rather depressing, and we have seen this kind of thing done better in other films. The blu ray I got hold of was French, and is a bit of a mess. You can watch it in a French dubbed version, or in English with irremovable French subs - which isn't too bad until you get to the short sections in German which have no English sub option. Picture quality is fine, though. Not quite sure why the case states 88 minutes when it runs for close to two hours.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I watched Tiger in the Smoke, which was shown on Talking Pictures last night. This is a 1956 film based on the novel by Margery Allingham. Allingham isn't a household name, but the BBC dramatised eight of her books about twenty five years ago with Peter Davison as her detective, Campion, which some people might remember. Tiger in the Smoke, bizarrely, wasn't one of those eight, despite being Allingham's most famous book. Even more strangely, Campion was written out of this 1956 film adaptation. Still, it's a fine British movie, drawing on film noir traditions and there are also nods to expressionism here too. It's a dark movie for most of its running time. The "smoke" of the title is the smog of London, and it's so thick that it's often difficult to see quite what is going on! The quirky camera angles, dark atmosphere and some fine performances (particularly from Laurence Naismith) make this one of those films that should be more well known than it is. It's let down a little by the casting of Donald Sinden in the male lead, but he's somewhat too clean cut for the role and his clipped accent stands out against the various murky characters he comes across. Perhaps that was the point, but one could certainly imagine Dirk Bogarde, for example, making a better job of the role. The last act turns a little bit more into an adventure movie, and the dark atmosphere is lightened considerably as the action moves out of London, but this is well worth seeing - one of the many hidden gems that Talking Pictures presents on an almost daily basis.

pmp

Post by pmp »

I'm not quite sure what possessed me, as I'm not a huge Disney fan, but watched Basil the Great Mouse Detective on Sky streaming services tonight. It's very enjoyable, and certainly wastes none of its seventy minute running time - and perhaps unsurprisingly has a lot in common with the recent Zootropolis, although Zootropolis trumps Basil in all departments. The copy showing of Basil showing on Sky is somewhat murky in picture quality - even in HD. Perhaps that's due to the animation, but I somehow doubt that. But it's lots of fun, even if it does at times feel more like a feature-length episode of a TV cartoon than a major Disney release.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Greystoke wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:16 pm
Have you seen In Order of Disappearance, ForeverElvis? The film Cold Pursuit is a remake of. It’s very much superior. And worth a look.

What a fantastic movie it was and with this I actually started liking Stellan Skarsgård. Decades before that, every time a movie with him came on, I didn't want to watch it.
Oh wait, actually I started liking him after his performance in "Chernobyl". That brought me to "In Order Of Disappearance". I would highly recommend it.

Anyway, about a week ago I watched the icelandic movie "Nói Albinói" (Nói the Albino) from 2003 with several Elvis references as the father of the main character Nói was an Elvis fan. Even though I thought it was pretty good and I kinda "liked" it, I wouldn't actually call it a "feel-good-movie". But that's not what I want to watch most of the time anyway :D :wink:

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

pmp

Post by pmp »

I saw "Oscar Wilde" tonight, one of two films made in the UK in 1960 telling the story of Wilde's downfall. The other, "The Trials of Oscar Wilde" is generally held in higher regard, and there is good reason for that. The film was clearly made on a bigger budget, and Peter Finch and John Fraser are both superb in their roles. "Oscar Wilde" features Robert Morley as the playright and is also very good, despite being lower budget. Morley acquits himself well, but the film has a fatal flaw in the casting of John Neville as Alfred Douglas. Neville was 35 when the film was made, and looked a good few years older than that, which rather makes a mockery of Wilde's falling love with his youth. Morley himself was rather too old for his role (and admitted that openly later in life), but it's no so essential as the youth of Douglas. Still, it's hard to find, and still a fine film which deserves to be more widely available than it is. Victim received many tributes for its courageous subject matter in 1961, but we tend to forget that, in the UK, the Wilde biographies and Serious Charge certainly laid the groundwork for it.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:12 pm
Warner Archive’s YouTube channel is always worth dipping into, although it mostly features trailers and clips, but they upload clips from newly restored films that are being released on their label, and there’s some nice additions and a few surprises there this week. The actual Blu-rays will be superior, no doubt, but it’s good to get a flavour of what they’re doing.

Otherwise, Indicator/Powerhouse have just announced The Beast Must Die as a new title. It’s pretty gimmicky, but entertaining and it’s one I’ll surely pick up. Less so Force 10 From Navarone, which has been treated to a limited edition release. Which could be nice, and the artwork is certainly appealing, but I’ll pass on that one. Studio Canal have also announced a 40th anniversary limited edition Flash Gordon UHD 4K Blu-ray box set. Again, it’s very appealing, and I’ll surely add this to my collection, but I’ll wait for the standard edition. This, however, bodes well for The Third Man and Ran being released on UHD. Those being Studio Canal-owned titles, too.

Arrow has also announced a limited edition release of The Game, which is very enjoyable, although it doesn’t have repeat value. Then again, I haven’t seen it in years. Whilst The Mask of Zorro on UHD Blu-ray from Sony is also appealing, although I would love to see a new restoration of The Mark of Zorro, and a better presentation of Zorro’s Fighting Legion. And just today, Eureka has announced a three-film limited edition Bela Lugosi/Edgar Allan Poe set, along with Mr. Vampire. Both of which I’ll be pre-ordering right away.

I

I will add The beast must die to my collection.

-instagram kenh1964

pmp

Post by pmp »

Thought it might be worth posting here that the HMV website has two BFI blu rays for £16 at the moment. Also, over on Amazon, the Pioneers of African-American cinema is just £20.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Greystoke wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:46 am
Robt wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:37 am
Made in Dagenham (2010) - A biography on the 1968 strike at the Ford Dagenham car plant.
I liked Made in Dagenham a great deal.
Did you know the movie over here has the great "German" title "WE WANT SEX"?!?!? :shock: :roll:

It's been quite a while since I watched "The Court Jester" but I always liked Danny Kaye and his movies very much, especially this one.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

This afternoon (saturday) the Fox 8 (sub tv channel) screened the HBO documentary NATALIE WOOD - WHAT REMAINS BEHIND.

It was co-produced and narrated by her daughter Natasha Gregson Wagner (Robert's step-daughter).

I don't want to give anything away but the film included Robert Wagner and near the end he and his daughter talk at length about Natalie's final moments etc was extremely moving and tough to watch.

Anyone who believes Wagner was somehow involved in her fall, has rocks in their heads.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/natalie-wood-what-remains-behind/about

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Into the Spiderverse, which was thoroughly enjoyable and very cleverly done, and very much deserving of its Oscar for best animated feature. Even if it's perhaps a little overlong (and I understand a different cut runs two and a half hours!), it has enough depth and narrative drive to keep the interest. The blu ray looks great, as you might expect, even if the dialogue was very unclear for much of the time - so much so that I ended up watching it with subtitles on.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Mister Mike »

OK, they can't always be classics. Sometimes you just feel like having a big bowl of sugary melodrama.... :) (Besides, Marilyn Hassett is quite easy on the eye.)

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

pmp

Post by pmp »

I'm not sure if people have heard the news, but Twilight Time has announced they are closing down.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:36 pm
I'm not sure if people have heard the news, but Twilight Time has announced they are closing down.
No, I missed that. They were a dependable label, and they offered some great releases, but I found them to be overpriced in recent years and stopped buying from them.
In my email this morning:

After nine years of successful operations in which 380 motion pictures from the 1930s to the 2010s have been released on DVD and Blu-ray disc, the home video label Twilight Time founded by veteran Hollywood studio executives and filmmakers Brian Jamieson and the late, Nick Redman, will not release any further titles and will be winding down operations this summer. A changing market, the rising costs of title acquisitions and the passing of longtime partner and company spokesman Redman, are key reasons for the closure.

Effective July 1, 2020, the remaining inventory will be acquired and distributed exclusively by Twilight Time’s longtime distribution partner, Screen Archives Entertainment.

THE CURRENT SALE WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MAY 31ST AT THE PRICING ON BELOW OUR SITE.

LIMITED STOCKS ON MANY TITLES - DON'T MISS OUT ON GREAT TITLES! MANY HAVE SOLD OUT ALREADY!

Only orders placed during the sale period will qualify for the promotion. No previously placed, currently pending or future orders will qualify.

PLEASE BE SURE TO PLACE YOUR ORDERS WITH THE PROPER DELIVERY ADDRESS, PAYMENT METHOD AND ITEMS OF YOUR CHOICE. WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AMEND ORDERS DURING THE SALE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

Topic author
rocknroller
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by rocknroller »

Wow can't believe thread is still here after all these years. watched the classic Little Caesar tonight not seen it in years.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

pmp

Post by pmp »

I'm not sure if watching a trio of films about a deadly virus is exactly the best thing to watch right now, but thought I'd dig out the Maze Runner films this week, as I've only seen parts 2 and 3 once when they came out, and have been waiting to revisit them.

Tonight I watched the first film, and it still impresses me immensely - even more so after reading the first book last year. The book is, in many ways, less dark than the film. In the book, the Glade has electric, showers, cookers etc. It's a much more Lord-of-the-Flies environment in the film with none of these things - a far less cosy experience, and one that makes more sense and gives more impetus for the characters to try to leave. Dylan O'Brian is remarkably good, I think. I only saw one series of Teen Wolf, but he was very much the reason to watch it (although not enough of a reason for me to move to season two). Also in the romantic comedy The First Time (highly recommended if you can find a copy) he is really good. Here, despite an ensemble cast, he carries the film with ease (although I think Thomas Brodie-Sangster is superb as well). But perhaps the biggest thing going for this film (and the series as a whole) is that it is focussed very much on entertainment rather than trying to put over philosophies or comments on the world at the time of making. The film is less bloated than the book - considerably so. The book has a whole extensive sub-plot involving telepathy between the characters, which is completely axed in the film. Indeed, it's all over and done with in 105 minutes (plus end credits). Compare that to 2hrs 20 minutes for the Hunger Games first film and the first in the Divergent series, which both arrived with considerable fanfare and rather a sense of their own importance.

Hope to watch The Scorch Trials tomorrow or Thursday.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Have given up watching Miles Davis biography just now called Miles Ahead (after one hour).

It seems ridiculous to me, what was meant to be a Jazz biopic, is filled with the magic word, every six minutes!

Sadly today's products are all about obscenities, violence and sex or all of the above.
Rarely do i watch these.

Thanks christ the 1940's - 1960's films are available to pic and choose, even if they are limited here :lol:

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

last night i saw Vivarium with Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poota a very good movie,worth a watch

-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:22 pm
keninlincs wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:01 pm
last night i saw Vivarium with Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poota a very good movie,worth a watch
That’s one I haven’t seen yet, Ken. I think it might be on Sky Cinema, though. I’ll certainly see it at some point.
I could not say too much about it as it would have spoiled the enjoyment somewhat,suffice it to say that a young couple go to view a house.......

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
rocknroller
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by rocknroller »

Greystoke wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:54 pm
rocknroller wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:16 pm
Wow can't believe thread is still here after all these years. watched the classic Little Caesar tonight not seen it in years.
Nice to see you around again.
Hi Greystoke cheers mate. great your keeping this thread alive with you amazing movie knowledge :smt023

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t