More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Baz Luhrmann`s Elvis film

Post by Jaime1234 »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:03 pm
Despite of being the best musically concert filmed on the April 1972 tour, physically he looked bad in Hampton Roads, unfortunately.
Right on!!

Flavor24
** BANNED: FREQUENTLY RETURNING PERMA-BANNED MEMBER. PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DARYL" **
** BANNED: FREQUENTLY RETURNING PERMA-BANNED MEMBER. PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DARYL" **
Registered for: 5 months

Post by Flavor24 »

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by jeanno »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Despite of being the best musically concert filmed on the April 1972 tour, physically he looked bad in Hampton Roads, unfortunately.
I think that 1970 Elvis was better both physically and musically.
Just compare BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER or the energy into the rock songs, it's night and day. Almost a different artist, I would say.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by pmp »

jeanno wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:48 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
Just compare BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER or the energy into the rock songs, it's night and day. Almost a different artist, I would say.
I would agree. In 1970, Elvis still appeared to have some excitement through appearing on stage, especially as the August shows saw him being properly filmed on stage for the first time and, adding to that, a significant number of new songs added to his repertoire. The June 1970 sessions had largely been successful, and Elvis clearly enjoyed the material recorded enough to want to bring a number of those songs to the stage - and try others out during the rehearsal stages.

There is none of that in April 1972. He added virtually nothing to his shows for that tour. If August 1970 shows a singer inspired, the April tours show him as a professional performer that might have been less erratic in the quality of his stage performances than September 1970 through much of 1971, but who was also lacking the spark we see in 1970. And this is seen in the rehearsal and backstage footage, too. By April 1972, the performances had fallen into a routine - a slick, professional show to be replayed night after night.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by robbie »

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Yes, Elvis was in better form as a performer in August 1970 comparing to April 1972.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:49 pm
Yes, Elvis was in better form as a performer in August 1970 comparing to April 1972.
As a performer, 1970 is his zenith, (winter, summer and even the fall), but in terms of his physical condition, nothing beats 1969

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

But what about a multiple DVD's regarding Elvis on April 1972 Tour: Elvis in Red, Elvis in Light Blue, Elvis in White and Elvis in Dark Blue costumes? Just an idea regarding the Richmond, San Antonio, Greensboro and San Antonio concerts. All of those were filmed.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm
But what about a multiple DVD's regarding Elvis on April 1972 Tour: Elvis in Red, Elvis in Light Blue, Elvis in White and Elvis in Dark Blue costumes? Just an idea regarding the Richmond, San Antonio, Greensboro and San Antonio concerts. All of those were filmed.
DVD? DVD!? :shock:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years

Post by minkahed »

jeanno wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:48 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
So over dramatic.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by r&b »

Jaime1234 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
As a performer, 1970 is his zenith, (winter, summer and even the fall), but in terms of his physical condition, nothing beats 1969
Again we agree. I ,in fact , have no interest in On Tour footage. I never even watch the movie anymore. I thought Elvis was already on auto-pilot compared to 69/70. 1972 bores me .

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by robbie »

r&b wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:08 am
Jaime1234 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
Again we agree. I ,in fact , have no interest in On Tour footage. I never even watch the movie anymore. I thought Elvis was already on auto-pilot compared to 69/70. 1972 bores me .
your rare

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Well, I still believe that a blue ray of the 4 concerts filmed for EOT can be released.

DEH
Registered for: 16 years

Post by DEH »

I love on On Tour. The footage, the concerts, the setlists. I just wish Elvis looked healthier and happier. If he had looked like he did in June 1972 it would have been ideal. On tour was very close to when Priscilla left and his mood was known to be bad for awhile. And he is pale. He looks depressed at times in the movie.

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Dan_T »

I think the On Tour footage will give a better concert feel and sound fantastic. 🤞 I think Elvis looks great in most of the On Tour footage.

Don't forget the producers told Elvis "we don't want a repeat of the wise Guy captured in TTWII" that may have had an affect on Elvis demeanor in the rehearsals etc.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Yes. Elvis in concert in Richmond, Greensboro, San Antonio and Hampton Roads on April 1972. Please give us these concerts completely filmed and after this, we will have the freedom to like or criticize him and consider which a concert was better.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Robert »

No way full concerts will be released although the idea is very nice.
You, me and my grandmother, who's not with us anymore for decades, could do that with a bit of editing.

Baz makes it happen when no one else did and he will bring a creative concept, whatever it may look like.
He has my blessing.
I expect EOT 2.0 on steroids (with TTWII as a separate chapter since it can't be combined into one story I think)
Let's not forget, 50+ years passed and we have 30 seconds from Richmond. Or 35?

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years

Post by minkahed »

DEH wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 pm
I love on On Tour. The footage, the concerts, the setlists. I just wish Elvis looked healthier and happier. If he had looked like he did in June 1972 it would have been ideal. On tour was very close to when Priscilla left and his mood was known to be bad for awhile. And he is pale. He looks depressed at times in the movie.
Elvis’s face looks extremely puffy in the rehearsal segment of That’s The Way It Is .

It certainly does him no favors, so I really don’t get all this, “He looks pale” in the On Tour film when none of us were there to see him in person and not the shade of him we see thru a camera lens.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

pmp

Post by pmp »

Another throwaway, attention seeking remark from egotist Baz Luhrmann. No surprise there. The concert footage is happening, is it? We'll see. But this latest remark (giving no promises whatsoever) again gives no details, and is purely designed to fuel speculation amongst fans and create Luhrmann headlines - both of which have occurred.

If he IS going to make some form of concert film featuring Elvis himself, that would have to be in conjunction with WB. And I'm pretty sure that WB would want that info first made public in an official press release or social media post in tandem with them, and not some tossed off, clickbait remark to a reporter at the Met gala. I'd be pretty miffed if I was at WB, wouldn't you?

Yes, it would be great if it happened, but I wouldn't hold you breath, especially if you want it soon. Firstly, he says "I THINK that concert that we found is going to happen." Not that it IS happening, but that he THINKS it will happen. A convenient choice of words for Baz's self-publicity. Oh, yeah, and let's remember he didn't FIND anything. It wasn't lost. Everyone knew it was there.

What's more, he makes clear he hasn't even started work on it yet - despite people on here posting eighteen months ago that it was definitely going to happen. And let's he honest: there was seven years between Moulin Rouge and Australia. Five years between Australia and Great Gatsby, and nine years between Gatsby and Elvis. He's made six films in thirty years. Bearing all of that in mind, if it DOES happen, expect it around 2030.

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Dan_T »

He does say "an Elvis surprise coming up" and seemed to ask his wife (off camera) if he should have announced that, I presume she said no, but he went ahead and said "it's going to happen"
6 months have now passed since his "teaser" back in October, maybe its already been done ? And just waiting for WB to announce it ?

Topic author
sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by sweetangeline »

What bugs me the most is reporters simply not asking an obvious question..." Baz are we talking this year (2024) by way of WB what do you think??"...for **** sake put the guy on the spot instead of acting like your going to dinner with him later.

Robert

Post by Robert »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:42 am
Another throwaway, attention seeking remark from egotist Baz Luhrmann. No surprise there. The concert footage is happening, is it? We'll see. But this latest remark (giving no promises whatsoever) again gives no details, and is purely designed to fuel speculation amongst fans and create Luhrmann headlines - both of which have occurred.

If he IS going to make some form of concert film featuring Elvis himself, that would have to be in conjunction with WB. And I'm pretty sure that WB would want that info first made public in an official press release or social media post in tandem with them, and not some tossed off, clickbait remark to a reporter at the Met gala. I'd be pretty miffed if I was at WB, wouldn't you?

Yes, it would be great if it happened, but I wouldn't hold you breath, especially if you want it soon. Firstly, he says "I THINK that concert that we found is going to happen." Not that it IS happening, but that he THINKS it will happen. A convenient choice of words for Baz's self-publicity. Oh, yeah, and let's remember he didn't FIND anything. It wasn't lost. Everyone knew it was there.

What's more, he makes clear he hasn't even started work on it yet - despite people on here posting eighteen months ago that it was definitely going to happen. And let's he honest: there was seven years between Moulin Rouge and Australia. Five years between Australia and Great Gatsby, and nine years between Gatsby and Elvis. He's made six films in thirty years. Bearing all of that in mind, if it DOES happen, expect it around 2030.
You may have just proven the point why he is so vague..
WB surely will release an official teaser when the time is right.. he is just talking to a reporter so you can't expect him to go into detail with communication restrictions in place.

On the fact that he put out 6 films in 30 years, I don't think you can compare a "redux" with most of the work he has done prior.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Robert wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:50 am
pmp wrote:

WB surely will release an official teaser when the time is right.. he is just talking to a reporter so you can't expect him to go into detail with communication restrictions in place.

On the fact that he put out 6 films in 30 years, I don't think you can compare a "redux" with most of the work he has done prior.
Except we don't if it will be a redux or not. WB have been there before and got their fingers burned. So why would they do another now, only this time with more expense because of a big name director.

As for the time factor, he first mentioned this 18 months ago - and he still only "thinks" it's going to happen. In other words, it's not even in the planning stage. He is clearly not a man in a hurry.

Robert

Post by Robert »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:57 am
Robert wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:50 am
pmp wrote:

Except we don't if it will be a redux or not. WB have been there before and got their fingers burned. So why would they do another now, only this time with more expense because of a big name director.

As for the time factor, he first mentioned this 18 months ago - and he still only "thinks" it's going to happen. In other words, it's not even in the planning stage. He is clearly not a man in a hurry.
Yeah well maybe the big take away here is the fact that the project is - apparently - still alive.
The main roadblock has always been the publication right complexity, so basically a high risk gamble.
If they managed to work that out there are multiple ways to produce and schedule a release in some form or shape.

As a fan I just hope any efforts releasing "a full Austin Butler concert" has been put to bed and this will be the main focus.

DEH
Registered for: 16 years

Post by DEH »

I believe it's happening. We have talked about complications before like will they spend lots of money to clean up the footage. Well they did that. I think the success of the Elvis movie has helped this. It showed that there still seemed to be interest in Elvis. If that movie had bombed I doubt there would be any of talk of this.