Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Harty
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by Harty »

The concept of this boxset is not clear. On CD1 we get more than SUN master from the Sun recordings. We also get the Memphis Recording Service recordings. But why don't we get as a bonus on CD1 some recordings from the legendary december 1956 session, aka The Million Dollar Quartet ?

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Harty wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:45 pm
The concept of this boxset is not clear. On CD1 we get more than SUN master from the Sun recordings. We also get the Memphis Recording Service recordings. But why don't we get as a bonus on CD1 some recordings from the legendary december 1956 session, aka The Million Dollar Quartet ?
Maybe so don't have to pay royalties to Lewis & Perkins estate also or because it's was a jam and not a real session?

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 2 years 1 month

Post by On Tape 1972 »

Harty wrote:
Because the producer decided otherwise.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by pmp »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:39 pm
Harty wrote:
I'm not sure the producer decided anything. It feels as if he just threw together some CDs without any coherent vision. We get all of the Jungle Room sessions, but not all of Memphis 1969 - utterly ridiculous when you consider which set of recordings are more important in Elvis's career (not to mention the best set of performances he ever put down on tape).

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 2 years 1 month

Post by On Tape 1972 »

pmp wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:22 am
On Tape 1972 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:39 pm
Harty wrote:
I'm not sure the producer decided anything. It feels as if he just threw together some CDs without any coherent vision. We get all of the Jungle Room sessions, but not all of Memphis 1969 - utterly ridiculous when you consider which set of recordings are more important in Elvis's career (not to mention the best set of performances he ever put down on tape).
I'm sure all of Memphis 1969 was newly mixed by MRS and will present itself in due time on another release. Let's not forget that FTD has to still make up for the conceptual disaster that was "American Sound 1969" and the simple fact that the collector's label issued a physical version of something that was supposed to be exclusive to digital distribution and streaming. It was a rather cheap money grab and the label knew good and well that the fanatics would gobble it all up for the upteenth time. They know us all too well by now.

I kinda dig the concept of ELVIS - MEMPHIS, but (just like the majority) would have preferred to have all the masters included. But it is what it is. With the vinyl it's gonna cost me around EUR 120 and since I don't intend to go on vacation this year, this is where I will be instead: strolling down Union Ave and hanging out with the man in the jungle room.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Scoobie »

It would be very cynical of the producers to deliberately make omissions to one box set in order to sell another complete box set at a later date. They would not do that to us fans, would they? (I think they would by the way, just a little sarcasm).

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 7 months

Post by Lee Wood »

Scoobie wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:15 am
It would be very cynical of the producers to deliberately make omissions to one box set in order to sell another complete box set at a later date. They would not do that to us fans, would they? (I think they would by the way, just a little sarcasm).
It's a matter of time.

Rangerdj
Registered for: 3 years 5 months
Mood:

Post by Rangerdj »

Amazon UK still has this set for about 27 pounds.

Jean-Marc

Post by Jean-Marc »

Way Down Under wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:22 am
I was going to give this a miss, until the detailed press release said "all tracks on MEMPHIS were newly mixed...with overdubs stripped away - leaving the listener with only what Elvis heard live in the studio". So now I'm in!
After listening to Polk Salad from CD4, I'm not sure if this later remix is any better than the 2004 FTD. It does sounds better than the 2014 remix, with a touch more reverb. After watching the MEMPHIS promo, I really liked listening to Promised land, except for that annoying keyboard, which takes away the funk, although it's not as prevalent as what we hear on the "Our Memories" FTD.
Speaking of "overdubs stripped away", on Promised Land we hear the organ overdub that Elvis specifically ordered be removed from the 1973 master.

That stupid track has already been featured several times on previous remixes. Indeed the « Pure Elvis » version, which has got to be the most ridiculous use… No taste.

Topic author
RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 3 years 11 months

Post by RickGreekElvis »

Undubbed master of in The Ghetto

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

RickGreekElvis wrote:Undubbed master of in The Ghetto

Loved it! Thanks for sharing

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Davemou
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by Davemou »

Sounds very good and does not feel unfinished without the ovedubs.

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by L Ray »

Davemou wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:51 pm
Sounds very good and does not feel unfinished without the ovedubs.
It is perfection.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Sounds great through my headphones

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Harty wrote:

Probably because it wasn't a session, but an informal jam caught on tape.

Also, the set is Elvis Presley: Memphis, not Elvis Presley and Friends: Memphis.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Igotstung
Registered for: 7 months

Post by Igotstung »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:06 am

I have no words. Perfection.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:30 pm
Harty wrote:

Probably because it wasn't a session, but an informal jam caught on tape.

Also, the set is Elvis Presley: Memphis, not Elvis Presley and Friends: Memphis.
Oh wow i came to the same conclusion as Dr. John, though before him :D
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117170&p=1982171#p1982171

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Scoobie »

RickGreekElvis wrote:

What is the difference between this and what we have on the "American Sound" FTD set?

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Scoobie wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:43 pm
RickGreekElvis wrote:

What is the difference between this and what we have on the "American Sound" FTD set?
Differently mixed for one the drums are now centered.
Heres the american sound box undubbed master

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by ORION »

I agree that the sound is mixed differently and is much richer esp. on the low end of the track. This mix sounds wonderful and it really showcases Elvis' magnificent vocals on this Mac Davis penned song. While Chips may have recorded these sessions with the intent of adding other elements to the production, if the rest of Matt's mixes from American Sound are this good it'll be a great addition to this material.

Also, I have a feeling that these new mixes will really showcase how incredibly talented the American Sound musicians were at this time. I'm glad that I pre-ordered this set. Hopefully, we get a preview track from the Stax sessions in the next couple of weeks.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Mister Mike »

The new In The Ghetto mix sounds good but I'm a little disappointed that he chose to put the guitar and organ on the left channel while leaving the right channel empty. Maybe that was the mix that sounded the best, but I still would have liked to have something on both sides.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:05 pm
Scoobie wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:43 pm
RickGreekElvis wrote:

Oh that’s a great clue that the drums will probably be centered for the entire disc 2. 👏
Last edited by L Ray on Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

Mister Mike wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:54 pm
The new In The Ghetto mix sounds good but I'm a little disappointed that he chose to put the guitar and organ on the left channel while leaving the right channel empty. Maybe that was the mix that sounded the best, but I still would have liked to have something on both sides.
I’m hearing the bass in the right channel. Sounds pretty balanced to me.

dougkapp
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by dougkapp »

I listened to the new mix and, for me, I couldn't hear any significant difference. Nothing like "The Memphis Record". I think American's recordings are very poor in terms of sound quality. Unfortunately, if they had mixed out the overdubs it would have been better.
Even Polk Sallad Anie has a mix similar to Legacy. I noticed very little difference.

DobroMojo
Registered for: 3 years
Mood:

Post by DobroMojo »

Mister Mike wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:54 pm
For some (not all) of the undubbed masters from American Sound, mix engineers don't have much to work with in terms of stereo imaging/panning (although I'm sure Matt Ross-Spang has done a great job on the mixes).

Although the sessions were recorded on 8 Track tape, for some songs including "In The Ghetto", multiple instruments were recorded onto 1 Track during the original sessions to leave tracks spare for the eventual overdubs.

Without overdubs, In The Ghetto is fundamentally a 4-Track recording which doesn't leave many options for stereo panning when creating a mix (meaning the Organ/Guitar/Piano parts can't be panned separately):

"In The Ghetto" Session Track List:
1 - overdub (High Strings)
2 - overdub (Backing Vocals)
3 - overdub (Brass)
4 - overdub (Low Strings)
5 - Bass
6 - Organ/Guitar/Piano
7 - Vocal (Elvis)
8 - Drums

There are songs from these sessions that don't have this issue (for example Suspicious Minds, Stranger In My Own Hometown, Power Of My Love), so I'm sure a lot of these new mixes are going to sound great!

Tape Legend including "In The Ghetto" Session:
0015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.